DWC - Need help with waters ppm + nutes

• Thread starter 420Felon
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
420Felon

420Felon

Hi guys, i am new to this forum so any tips as to how to navigate this website correctly and find the right information would be great. Also how to remain within the guidelines if there are some, feel free to message me.
so... I am starting one of my first DWC grows.
I need some advice the following points, please elaborate on any of the points I'm listing + any other factual information you think any grower is going to need to know for a quality functional system to be able to produce quality cannabis. I am not a complete amateur, I've grown in soil outdoors.
Anyway here's what i need help with... (just to begin with, hah)
  • all information for how you all germinate seeds with a high rate of success (I have a humidity dome, heat mat, LED light and small tent)
  • what water should i be using for safe healthy germination for my Auto seeds (I am buying a RO system in the coming weeks) until then I have Distilled water.
  • soaking the rock wool cubes, with what strength nutrients?
  • how many hours of light for seedlings (I'm guessing 24h right through veg and flower with autos?)
  • when to move seedlings to large tent and MH light
  • what PPM my nutrients should be in germination phase, seedling phase, veg phases etc
  • what pH for germination and seedlings, veg etc
  • how often do you change nutrients through seedlings, and veg phase.​
ALL information you guys have is great, as well as any links you guys have to websites where i can find good information will be greatly appreciated.
I am writing all the information down in a big binder folder, so don't hold back.
I will be including a couple of photos of a setup in this thread in a couple of hours.

Thanks for the help in advance fellas

420Felon

420Felon

20200315 180301

----------------------------------------------------------
600W Digital Dimmable Ballast - Metal Halide [Current]
---------------------------------------------------------
20200315 180247

Tent is 200x200x200
------------------------------------------------------------
= 5 Pot + Reservoir [ 80L System - runs at 68L ]
4 x 21L Buckets & Netpots
1 x 18L Bucket & Netpot
1 x 21L Reservoir
The reservoir has a pump inside which moves the water as a feeding system to each 4 of the plant sites
The water then returns to the reservoir via the 19mm black poly pipe
100L/m air pump
20200322 182635

------------------------------------------------------------------
Above is my water quality meter obviously
as you can see its a "5 in 1" as it says
but i doubt it is accurate, i desperately need some calibration solution for the EC and TDS testing
the pH and temp seems to be working well
if anyone knows of another method to be able to test the EC and TDS to compare to see if the meter has already come calibrated like then pH did please let me know.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
20200322 182656

-------------------------------------------------------------
above is my backup pH meter, cost me about $9.00 with calibration powders, im sure you all own one... or twelve by now...
20200322 182608

Does anybody know what pH water needs to be for seeds to germinate successfully, i havent had as much luck as id like, mabey 40% make it the rest dont pop or get moldy and never pop...
also what temperature do you want to keep the seeds when trying to get them to pop?
so if im using distilled water, do i add ph up and down to reach what desired level?
then how much nutrient strength do i mix in the liquid?

THANKS FOR THE HELP IN ADVANCE EVERYONE, 420 HAPPY DAYS A' BLAZE

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Great looking set up! The one thing I might do differently would be a sealed hood with inline fan to help manage the heat, good luck!

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
View attachment 954550
----------------------------------------------------------
600W Digital Dimmable Ballast - Metal Halide [Current]
---------------------------------------------------------
View attachment 954554
Tent is 200x200x200
= 5 Pot + Reservoir [ 80L System - runs at 68L ]
4 x 21L Buckets & Netpots
1 x 18L Bucket & Netpot
1 x 21L Reservoir
The reservoir has a pump inside which moves the water as a feeding system to each 4 of the plant sites
The water then returns to the reservoir via the 19mm black poly pipe
100L/m air pump
------------------------------------------------------------View attachment 954555
------------------------------------------------------------------
Above is my water quality meter obviously
as you can see its a "5 in 1" as it says
but i doubt it is accurate, i desperately need some calibration solution for the EC and TDS testing
the pH and temp seems to be working well
if anyone knows of another method to be able to test the EC and TDS to compare to see if the meter has already come calibrated like then pH did please let me know.
-------------------------------------------------------------------View attachment 954562
above is my backup pH meter, cost me about $9.00 with calibration powders, im sure you all own one... or twelve by now...
-------------------------------------------------------------View attachment 954563
Does anybody know what pH water needs to be for seeds to germinate successfully, i havent had as much luck as id like, mabey 40% make it the rest dont pop or get moldy and never pop...
also what temperature do you want to keep the seeds when trying to get them to pop?
so if im using distilled water, do i add ph up and down to reach what desired level?
then how much nutrient strength do i mix in the liquid?

THANKS FOR THE HELP IN ADVANCE EVERYONE, 420 HAPPY DAYS A' BLAZE

1. "... then how much nutrient strength do i mix in the liquid? " - You should not be adding anything to the water that you are soaking your beans in. The seeds come with enough nutes to get them though about the first week or so.
  2. "... so if im using distilled water, do i add ph up and down to reach what desired level?" - The std ph i use is 6.0. smack dab in the middle of the range.
  3. "... also what temperature do you want to keep the seeds when trying to get them to pop?" - The soak is usually done at room temp in a dark closet/nook (no light) that is at least 78F. It usually takes 24-36 hours for them to crack, you have about 6-12 hours to move them to your medium before they drown.
  4. "... 40% make it the rest dont pop or get moldy and ..." - I add only hydroguard to the water used on the seedlings to help prevent root rot.
What medium are you using for your seedlings?
Good Luck & Happy Growing 🍻 🥂

Last edited:
420Felon

420Felon

Great looking set up! The one thing I might do differently would be a sealed hood with inline fan to help manage the heat, good luck!
Yes you are absolutely correct and I am on it! Because at the moment money is tight, this lighting setup will be suffice until my plants are 3+weeks old, which by then i will have purchased my closed lighting hood with a 5" or 8" duct attachment. I will probably purchase two hoods, and have the ducting setup so the 5" or 8" hood ducts will booth join to a Y Piece, with the larger end suited for my current duct size of 10"
Will update with a drawn diagram soon and followed by the finished setup photos to update the Gold Kilo GroLab

420Felon

420Felon

1. "... then how much nutrient strength do i mix in the liquid? " - You should not be adding anything to the water that you are soaking your beans in. The seeds come with enough nutes to get them though about the first week or so.
  2. "... so if im using distilled water, do i add ph up and down to reach what desired level?" - The std ph i use is 6.0. smack dab in the middle of the range.
  3. "... also what temperature do you want to keep the seeds when trying to get them to pop?" - The soak is usually done at room temp in a dark closet/nook (no light) that is at least 78F. It usually takes 24-36 hours for them to crack, you have about 6-12 hours to move them to your medium before they drown.
  4. "... 40% make it the rest dont pop or get moldy and ..." - I add only hydroguard to the water used on the seedlings to help prevent root rot.
What medium are you using for your seedlings?
Good Luck & Happy Growing 🍻 🥂
Rockwool cubes, will germinate them in the large rockwool sheets with the plastic tray included, then transplant them once into the large rockwool cubes with plug holes, and they are sitting on a bed of clay balls in the net pots.
Simple, most common setup.

Top Bottom