DWC -plants wilt during day, fine at night??

• Thread starter Maitreyah
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Maitreyah

Maitreyah

My plants look fantastic about 4 hours after the lights go out (leaves standing up and ready for action). When the lights come on, after a few hours they start to look limp and wilt.
My reservoir temp is 64, my room temp during the day is 79 with co2. Got good air movement and my humidity during the day is sometimes low, about 45-50%..I'm vegging my plants at the moment.
Now I was thinking this wilting was a sign of pythium starting, but my roots look good, no smell, white to slight tan in color, though my roots seem a little fragile (when handled some root hairs may come off) though i have no idea if this is the way they should be. I've got a hiblow 80 pumping the nutrients in the rez and all buckets (8) so I have ruled out lack of oxygen (tested at 8.4ppm at 64 degrees)
And finally my nutrient ppm goes down slowly and the ph slowly rises during the week. Bubba strain
BTW I'm doing the Doubleds MPB system

I'm absolutely stumped as to what is going on..:sweating

Any ideas??
thanks guys

B

bakershredhead

How high is your Co2? Try lowering it a bit and see if that helps. I'm assuming that you have a sealed room. If not maybe try just fresh air and see what that does. If you have good roots and they keep growing than you might just be worrying for nothing. Also how old, big are they, how many lights etc. If they small it takes a bit for them to get used to that much light.

Maitreyah

Maitreyah

My co2 is at around 900ppm, I run a sealed room just running three 1000 mh. The plants have been in the system for 3 weeks. They stated out very small and are about 13 inches tall now. I'll drop the co2 in half and see if that helps, if not maybe turn off a light or two.

The more I look at my roots the more I start to second guess if they actually are healthy. They do have a slight smell, though not a rotting smell, and I'm not sure if roots in a dwc system should be hardy or somewhat brittle when handled...

B

bakershredhead

No its not the Co2 thats not very high at all. You got any pics of the roots? What is your pump size for the buckets. You might not have enough flow to your buckets. This system is a little tricky to get dialed in at first. So I'm assuming you went straight from clone into this system. At three weeks you should have a ton of roots in the buckets. Mine have been in for three days and already are shooting out new shoots into the buckets. The roots should be pretty white and definetely no smell. Take some pics and post em up so people can see what your talking about.

Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
You say your room temp is 79. What is the temp at your plant tops?

K

Kpezzy

I know what is causing this crap in my res and its hygrozyme the second I add that to my res I get foam and the crap builds on that foam it sucks

B

billybadazz

I'm no DWC guru but this sounds like pythium.....try some sm-90 or h2o2food grade I started my regimine at 1.5 ml a gallon in my rez when I had root rot but my rot was because of a 74F rez and your temps seem normal so it seems kinda suspect, I too have had to deal with the slime an occasion or 2 and I agree with garden of dreams and change that shit out....repeatedly if need be. what's that you say nutes are expensive?? but so is losing your whole damn crop!! I would PM one of these bucket kings on these forums (if you copied DD system then I'm sure you already can think of 4-5 dudes that can prolly hit your nail right on the head) good luck bro be cool I know these problems can drive a person crazy.

Maitreyah

Maitreyah

No its not the Co2 thats not very high at all. You got any pics of the roots? What is your pump size for the buckets. You might not have enough flow to your buckets. This system is a little tricky to get dialed in at first. So I'm assuming you went straight from clone into this system. At three weeks you should have a ton of roots in the buckets. Mine have been in for three days and already are shooting out new shoots into the buckets. The roots should be pretty white and definetely no smell. Take some pics and post em up so people can see what your talking about.

I'll get some pics tonight. Four buckets have a 1200 mag drive, he other four have an 1800.
Definatley dont have a ton of roots in the buckets, plus they have a slight tan color, I was hoping the color was from the roots excelurator..

Maitreyah

Maitreyah

If your in doubt about your roots then Id say drain and re mix, I fought Res's for 10 days and 3 change outs before I beat whatever it was in my res's that was causing slime. I attributed my issues to drywall dust!!
Whats nutes are you using?

I'm using three part Advanced with some root excelurator forom House and Garden.

Maitreyah

Maitreyah

I'm no DWC guru but this sounds like pythium.....try some sm-90 or h2o2food grade I started my regimine at 1.5 ml a gallon in my rez when I had root rot but my rot was because of a 74F rez and your temps seem normal so it seems kinda suspect, I too have had to deal with the slime an occasion or 2 and I agree with garden of dreams and change that shit out....repeatedly if need be. what's that you say nutes are expensive?? but so is losing your whole damn crop!! I would PM one of these bucket kings on these forums (if you copied DD system then I'm sure you already can think of 4-5 dudes that can prolly hit your nail right on the head) good luck bro be cool I know these problems can drive a person crazy.

I'm going nuts thinking about all the variables, and I try not to change too much at once so that I'll know what actually makes a difference...I'm working on PM some of the bucket kings, dont have a high enough post count yet..Hopefully one of them might pop by this thread and gie me some advice..I'll post some pics tonight of the plants and roots...

Maitreyah

Maitreyah

cell phone pic of plants just after lights go on,
IMAGE_114.jpg

Maitreyah

Maitreyah

Check co2 levels in the air and at roots. JK

All my plants have two layers of plastic that surround the top of the bucket with a hole for the stalk of the plant. I figured that would solve any light penetration issues as well as keeping the co2 out of the bucket though I'm sure there must be some vacuum in the bucket from the water wanting to go down the drain which would draw some co2 in from the room..:headbang
I put a co2 sensor in one of the buckets and it settles at around 745 ppm with lights out...Seems high to me
I've tested the Dissovled oxygen in the buckets and they average out to 8.4ppm and the same in the rez, i have put my air pump outside in the fresh air.. I guess this adds one more fricken variable to the mix.

Maitreyah

Maitreyah

Ok, just got in and took some pics, hopefully they will bring some light to all this. Now take into account that I have B1 in the system as well as roots excelurator, which is why i thought my roots were slighly tan in color
I have also failed to mention that over time pieces of roots appear on my screen filter under the return pipe....:lipssealed maybe that will help in diagnosing this

IMAGE_117.jpg

IMAGE_118.jpg

IMAGE_125.jpg

J

Jalisco Kid

Co2 will shut down the proton pumps which pumps the liquid up from the roots. JK

Maitreyah

Maitreyah

if you rub the roots do they come apart in your hands? Are those yellow lids light proofed on the top side?

When I rub the roots they are brittle and do come apart :(, The lids are covered with one layer blackwhite poly and only layer of litetight plastic, so no light gets through.....I hope

Maitreyah

Maitreyah

Personally I would run a super mild mix of straight RO and peroxide thru the system for a hour or 2 and then drain and make a fresh new batch, Im hearing Hygrozyme and DWC dont get along and I had the same issue personally, Got rid of the Hygorzyme and did the rinse and things are back to normal. Rather be safe then sorry.
I was able to pull each plant out and dunk the roots in a 5 gall bucket off bubbling R/O /peroxide and I literally rinsed and rubbed all the roots and removed all the slime and loose roots. They went from slime to crispy and clean in my hands, Once I started I did them all and then cleaned all the res's and started over. Its a pita but it then your done chasing your tail!

good luck!!

I'll be doing the big cleanup/rinse tomorrow. I'll pull the plants and dunk'em like you did..thanks for the advice!!

M

mrpurplestuff

Hmmmm? i find this very intresting as some of my strains "wilt at end of day period and "perk up" at night apparently as before lights on theylook perfect yet again? any one else find this in their garden?

S

SouthernFarms

I have not started my DWC grow yet. However, a thought occured to me.

Where is your air pump located?

Is it inside the grow room?

If so, you are pumping the CO2 straight to your roots when your CO2 is on. Your air pump needs to be outside of the grow room since you are running CO2.

The roots need oxygen, the tops need CO2.

Hope this doesn't offend you. Just a thought. Sometimes it is the SIMPLE things that get ya.

Top Bottom