DWC RDWC no water chiller, best temp to keep room?

• Thread starter NRG
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
N

NRG

I have been reading some of the different threads on water culture. I was wondering if someone was forced to run a water culture setup without a water chiller, what would be the optimal day time temps so you don't get hot water that is to hot?
Would it be reasonable to assume the rooms ambient temperature is roughly the same temp of the water?
Thank You.

mastacheeser

mastacheeser

your optimal water temp is 65
anything above 75 and your looking at root rot
it depends alot on how much light is hitting you resivoirs, if you got some big busy plants to absorb all the heat then youll prob b ok
be very careful when when vegging as this is the time your room and your water will get the warmest because of the long light cycles
my experience with 8k lights and a gereral hydroponics aerflo 60

N

NRG

Should I keep the room at 65 then, so the water will also be 65?

D

dirtbzzl223

MASTERCHEESERS RIGHT. and IMHO ( AND FROM EXP) 65f would be just fine for room temp. Especially if your running 18/6 w/ lighting. the reason is the lower temps during the dark cycle will help keep the res temps actually lower than the rooms ambient temp. I myselfrun a RDWC/Aeroponic hybrid setup with no water chiller! My room temps are a steady 72-80f daytime, and never lower than 60f at night; and i havent seen my res temp higher than 68f yet! A bigger res definitely helps!

mittenmedgrow

mittenmedgrow

Mastacheeser 8k over a 60 I thought I was hot shit when I ran 4k over the 120. After many many yrs running the aero. The biggest piece of advice I have is run a chiller. It doesnt matter if your room temp is 70 the pump will add atleast another 5. Also use zone from the very begining and dont put anything organic in there. Think sterile. no organics zone and an airstone.

mastacheeser

mastacheeser

not 8k over one 60
up to 3 at my disposal now but am getting dirt dirty
flip them out the long way and you can fit 4k over one no prob

S

smokestack23

NRG,

I don't have power for a chiller..well..I could but that would mean sacrificing light and until a chiller will help me more than all that light...well, I've been getting away with it.

My flower room hovers at about 87deg lights on and probably hits below 68 lights off. That isn't great. My light temps are a bit high and that's a big difference in temps..day to night.

My "water" temps though don't hit much over 70. Some "tricks" are to use pipe insulation on your drains and feeds, using coolers for tubs/buckets is a great idea that I don't do, obviously keep your res in a cooler room, if your rooms have concrete floors hey are a great heatsink, as was mentioned use a big res-try to keep the majority of the water volume in the res in the cool room by using tubs/buckets/coolers that aren't TOO big and use drainlines/pipe that isn't too big.

If you do the math, there's quite a bit of volume in 1-1/2" or 2" pipe and it can heat up fast. I'm still messing with pipe size. Originally I was running 5gal pails each with dual 3/4" bottom drains. I was worried about root clogging (which didnt happen) so went up to 20 gal tubs and 1-1/2" drains. That made my water temps rise to unsafe numbers. Now I'm using about10gal tubs with 1-1/2" drains but the drains reduce to 1-1/4" and go into 1-1/4" return to res pipe. This gives me more volume in the cool res room and less in the hot flower room. It also allows me to keep the larger drains in the tubs. NEXT time I might reduce those 1-1/2" drains to meet 1" return pipe. We'll see.

PEACE

N

NRG

soo whats everyones opinion on the best temp to run your room if not using a chiller? 68* ok?

mastacheeser

mastacheeser

i keep 70-75.
getting the night temps to 60 has helped my water stay alot colder
if your in a house, tearing up the carpet and setting the buckets on cement will help chill the water as well
i know its a lil off topic, but throwing some zone in there will decrease your chances of getting the rot
a quick shot of 6k light over 2 aeroflos, sorry for the lame pic

Top Bottom