dwc tub or bucket?

• Thread starter bentley
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

bentley

im think'n about setting up a dwc set up bit tub with 6 plants under 1 1000k hps or 6 5gal buckets under 1 1000k hps which set up would work better?

L

Lost

Hi!

I would say tubs for this reason. If your going to do DWC, then a chiller is the most important piece of equiptment you will need. Don't let that scare you away, DWC grows like nothing else. Anyway, the tubs are very easy to set up a recirc system and I think the roots are alot happied than the 5 gallon bucket. Then again if your keeping you plants under 3 feet tall, then buckets are great. If not, you could do 4 tubs with the 1000 hangling vertically in the center. (in a cool tube would cut the need for a/c)

Anyway, there are a ton of ways to do it. Good luck :)

C

chuck uuuuu

Hi!

I would say tubs for this reason. If your going to do DWC, then a chiller is the most important piece of equiptment you will need. Don't let that scare you away, DWC grows like nothing else. Anyway, the tubs are very easy to set up a recirc system and I think the roots are alot happied than the 5 gallon bucket. Then again if your keeping you plants under 3 feet tall, then buckets are great. If not, you could do 4 tubs with the 1000 hangling vertically in the center. (in a cool tube would cut the need for a/c)

Anyway, there are a ton of ways to do it. Good luck :)
Im Sorry, but lost is full of all kinds of cool information. Thank you.
We just got a 6 bucket DWC system for $40. And your post was right on time!
Peace

Sherwood

Sherwood

I'm trying a tub set up right now. I have 4 tubs under a 1000 watt light. I'm getting it going pretty good now. And I'm using these gh nutes but havn't figured them out yet. I have the tubes covered and insulated now, and that fifth tub is going away.

P2120028
B

bentley

i was planning on doin 6 6in net pots in a 30-50 heavy duty tub and use canna's whole lineup maybe adding 1-2 extra additives not sure if i need it yet and instead of putting airstones rig 2 spray nozzles with a T splitter to the air hose i seen a guy said these work and last longer than air stones think'n about just topping off the res and change out the res
every 2 weeks do you think the chiller is needed? because i wasn't planning on doin RDWC i was gonna try keep it as simple as possiable

Sherwood

Sherwood

I want a chiller because the water needs to be like 65 and the summer will not allow that I don't think.

L

Lost

Bentley, you may want to wait till after the summer season to start. The summer will give you root rot and Pythium. Better off going with coco if your anywhere it gets warm. Over 72 degrees in the res for anytime and you basically have a huge bacteria petri dish. Better off going with coco if you cannot get around the chiller. :)

C

chuck uuuuu

Bentley, you may want to wait till after the summer season to start. The summer will give you root rot and Pythium. Better off going with coco if your anywhere it gets warm. Over 72 degrees in the res for anytime and you basically have a huge bacteria petri dish. Better off going with coco if you cannot get around the chiller. :)

:character0110::scared0016:

:whewWOW!:rofl Ur amazing lost!
Can I use Organic Nutes with COCO?
WHAT BRAND of CO-CO, do u suggest?? I heard you get what u pay 4 when it cums 2 coco?:scared0016:
will frozen bottles in my rez help, along with it being air STONED?
Will take pics if u dont mind me hijacking this thread?:confused0054:My apologies to anyone i may have "Walked On" (Offended):icon_dizzy:

P4230315
P4230317
P4230332
P4230333
B

bentley

thanks for the advice lost you saved me alot of trouble of testing it out myself im still new to dwc so how would you setup the tubs or buckets to a main res and chiller?

N

nog

i am thinking about dwc i really like soil, but i crop every 4 weeks and that meens i have 90 ltrs of soil to dump and i am running out of places to tip it. plus living on the 3rd floor means a lot of schlepping about with the stuff, i am testing a bucket at the moment alogside my normal soil grow, so far so good, i think i might switch to buckets, i have a hight problem so buckets like lost says look the way forward for me. is it better to have buckets connected or isolated????

L

Lost

You can do passive or active. Basically if each tub has a feed line pushing nutes in, that active. Passive would be where a pump dumps all the water from the last bucket thru the chiller and in to the first bucket. Gravity would then pull the water from tub to tub eventually finishing at the last tub where a pump would pull the water to the chiller (or a control bucket or res first) then back to the first bucket or tub.

For a grow journal detailing a passive method check out my "Tub girls" Grow:

For the better but more complex and expensive, check out a MPB grow of mine from a little while ago. Please note that I do not construct my tubs like this anymore and have a tub DIY for active feeding (MPB's):

the diy:

The old Grow :

Due to a security breach im not posting pics for a little while longer. I have a much nicer grow going but untill things chill out, im not posting pics. That might change next week tho :)

B

bentley

thanks for all the info both of those setup are nice i have a better idea of what to do now

j wizzle

j wizzle

everyone says you need a chiller but i dont find this to be 100% true.

i think if you are running co2 then maybe yes, but im in socal, i ran single bucket setups (5 gals) and i didnt have a chiller. water stayed around 65-70 the entire summer, occasionally went up to 75 but never sustained ammounts of time. my room stays around 65-75 and my air pump takes air straight from the room, so my water is constantly hit with 65-75 degree air....water temps stay low, super white roots and no rot

and if you are doing the same strain, then run the tubs. if you are doing diferent strains, run the 5 gals. i think you will get much larger plants doing the tubs though.

if you connect all those tubs together, the water level will remain the same. if you put the 5th tub on the ground, you could drain the solution into the 5th tub. then just put a pump into that tub and pump the solution back into any other the 4 tubs holding the plants. this will mix your solution really well and help with PH stability. do it every 2-3 days (as often as needed)

L

Lost

Gotta have a chiller. Its a fun and games till you lose a crop. You might get away with a crop or two but once you get rot and pythium, its impossible to get rid of. :)

j wizzle

j wizzle

i am actually getting a 1hp chiller in the next week or so, as i dont want to take the risk. but i do believe you can do DWC without it. i think once you get pumps involved, then its certainly a must. but if everything is gravity fed, you can get away with it and still have good quality bud with a decent yields. hygrozyme helps big time to fend off the root rot

C

chuck uuuuu

Ice Chiller?

I cannot afford a chiller, will frozen water bottles in the rez work?Cement floor, A.C. Blown in.:ridinghorse:

1k ballast MH HPS 008
j wizzle

j wizzle

I cannot afford a chiller, will frozen water bottles in the rez work?Cement floor, A.C. Blown in.:ridinghorse:

they will work, my temps are fine without anything

what temps are you at right now in your room? co2?

if using co2, then you will obviously need to pump air from outside the room.

i dont use co2, i dont have a chiller, my water temps dont get above 68 much. my room is 65-70 lights off, and 72-80 lights on. i pull air straight from my room.

i have super white roots, ill post a pic tomorrow.

B

Boots Sugarleaf

it may work, I don't think anyone should say it will for sure....I have used frozen gallon jugs ina res, but it is extremely unreliable and unpredictable

keep the res out of the room, on a cement floor, etc all will help...keep a close eye on water temps!

they will work, my temps are fine without anything

what temps are you at right now in your room? co2?

if using co2, then you will obviously need to pump air from outside the room.

i dont use co2, i dont have a chiller, my water temps dont get above 68 much. my room is 65-70 lights off, and 72-80 lights on. i pull air straight from my room.

i have super white roots, ill post a pic tomorrow.

this isn't a norm, it can work but is not guaranteed.

I just needed to make that clear before a newb sees that then invests all they have only to lose it 3 weeks in

j wizzle

j wizzle

this isn't a norm, it can work but is not guaranteed.

I just needed to make that clear before a newb sees that then invests all they have only to lose it 3 weeks in

i agree....my circumstances arent the norm. im just saying that it CAN work, and for me, does work. i still plan on getting a chiller as well just to stay on the safe side.

Latest posts

Top Bottom