DWC w/ power heads for DO

• Thread starter growsjoe1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

growsjoe1

strain is NLxSK#1
NLxSK_1.jpg

Using powerheads instead of air pumps with stones. Just got tired of all the noise and plugged up air stones. The plants don't suffer for DO. The plant yielded well.

powerplant

powerplant

Huge bushes, good shit. Know she yeilded well.
Btw how big was your rez and also any pics of the inside?

Jack Stackman

Jack Stackman

Nice Bush! Looks like it almost supports itself too. Did u use a chiller?

Jay Es...... :smiley_joint:

G

growsjoe1

powerplant and jack

Res held about 10 actual gallons of solution, no chiller though. powerheads were only about 1 inch into the water so the motor wasn't submerged to reduce heat transfer. Float valve was installed so when she drank(and that she did, about 1 1/2 to gallons a day during peak flower) the water level wouldn't drop below the intake of the powerheads.

Papa

Papa

Supporter
'looks great! how large was that rez?

you've provided a great example that there are different ways of achieving good DO. i wish we could get DO measurements on the different methods. some have claimed that a simple break in the water surface (waterfall) with the return is sufficient . . . . others, like myself, go pedal to the floor with pumping air.

G

growsjoe1

'looks great! how large was that rez?

Hey papa the res was 30 gallons but The most water I ever put in is about 12 gallons. The plant is in deep net pot with a dia of 10inches filled with hydroton.

joe

EDIT Ya there are a few different ways of achieving enough DO. I've grown this plant with just a couple of air pumps before. It grew very similar. I have grown it in organic soil before but the dwc version kick ass all over that attempt. Sure wold be nice to have a way to measure the actual DO without spending a whole bunch

R

RustyShakleford

Nice!! I am currently researching ways to improve my next hydro system, and getting rid of the LOUD, HOT, Air pump is one of them.

I am currently running an RDWC with 4 buckets and want to work in Flooming or Water Fall for my DO.

GREAT JOB!

I

ir0nLung

seems like air pumps are the main entrance for pathogens into your solution and roots. i've been toying around with getting rid of my air pumps as well. been putting a separate pump in the epicenter of my diy uc and running half inch hose with two 1/4 inch hoses firing water down into each unit. havent put plants in it yet but i think its going to work. id be interested in seeing pics under the hood of yours also.

R

RustyShakleford

What kind of drop do you have to your res? Are you top feeding each bucket?

I am pumping 1/2" feedline to the Top of the buckets, but not the lid. A couple of inches down.

So I am already kinda waterfalling, its just not alot. My return line is 3/4" and this has me ball valving the pump closed only 1/4 turn. So its not wide open, but its also not a big pump (inline). I want to build in at least a 1" return on my next setup and maybe spraybar the feedline once its inside the buckets, so the water will spray out the tubing into the bucket for better DO. I am hoping this will help me eliminate the Air Pump.

I

ir0nLung

I am pumping 1/2" feedline to the Top of the buckets, but not the lid. A couple of inches down.

So I am already kinda waterfalling, its just not alot. My return line is 3/4" and this has me ball valving the pump closed only 1/4 turn. So its not wide open, but its also not a big pump (inline). I want to build in at least a 1" return on my next setup and maybe spraybar the feedline once its inside the buckets, so the water will spray out the tubing into the bucket for better DO. I am hoping this will help me eliminate the Air Pump.

so are you using only one pump then? 3/4 return line then using tees to fire water back into all of the buckets?

R

RustyShakleford

so are you using only one pump then? 3/4 return line then using tees to fire water back into all of the buckets?

Yes, I am only using one pump (inline). That pulls water from the controller and pumps to the buckets (1/2" Feed). Water then Drains and Gravity fed back to the controller (3/4" return)

So far its working very well, but I do have a couple of mods to make for the next grow. Bigger Res, Bigger Return and try to eliminate the Air Pump.

Top Bottom