DWC water looking nasty

• Thread starter BudBlazer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

BudBlazer

Got a DWC setup that I am running and I cleaned everything well and pH'ed the hydroton. But it has been 3 weeks and the water gets pretty nasty with shit growing on the sides of the bucket and net pot. Just picked up some Hygrozyme to see if that would help break down stuff. Any ideas? Try to keep it all organic. This is my first hydro experience and I cant figure it out. Running a 10" net pot as well. Does the hydroton just need to be cleaned a lot more? THanks

sky high

sky high

More info, bro. All organic? What nutes/etc?

I'm far from an expert...(I'm a hack)....but my experience has shown that "organics" fuck DWC all up....high chances of root rot...the slime you speak of...or both.

I'm playing with running chems all the way til week 4 of bloom...then slowly adding in the organics in small quantities until finish. Last run I used Roots organic HPK+ in this fashion and there was a noticable difference in trichs/smell/taste over a 100% chem run.

anyway...more info on what you've put in yer res will get ya a more specific response (IMO).

good luck!

s h

K

Kpezzy

normal bro, the buckets get nasty as f#ck, I flush my res every week and it still looks nasty, just dont scrub your buckets until the end of your grow leave that growth alone

B

BudBlazer

Botanicare Pro Grow, Aquashield, Hygrozyme, Liquid Karma and Molasses for Calcium and Magnesium. Thats what I am using for veg right now. i would like to stay chem free, but have thought of adding hydrogen peroxide?
Everything else I have read is to keep the buckets clean? Why would I want to leave that growth in there? I am not running a separate reservoir.

K

Kpezzy

The reason to leave it alone is simple, you dont want big chunks of crap floating around in your buckets, if you leave the stuff alone it will stay attached to the buckets and not bother anything, you start scrubbing and breaking that stuff up and it will be all over the place

M

Malachi

the molasses usually always leaves some residue in hydro set-ups

B

BudBlazer

The reason to leave it alone is simple, you dont want big chunks of crap floating around in your buckets, if you leave the stuff alone it will stay attached to the buckets and not bother anything, you start scrubbing and breaking that stuff up and it will be all over the place

The only reason I have been cleaning it out (not much scrubbing required) is because I clean out the bucket once a week. I clean out the bucket with hot water and diluted hydrogen peroxide and then rinse the net pot with just hot water. Its not very porous so it doesnt really break up and go everywhere. It just wipes right off.

L

Lost

You need bene's..

Look at the top 2 pics in this thread

See the bottom brown stuff and the bucket is perfectly clean? Thats bene's! They have colonized the bottom and are cleaning the stuff up and protecting the roots (im assuming thats whats going on). I have only topped off that bucket for going on 5 weeks now. I cleaned the bucket with Isopropl to kill everything, then rinsed out and added nutes with bene's. This bucket has Great white and a little Guardian MY (before I got the great white, its all good stuff). Some enzymes would help as well :)

You gotta start super clean or your fucked, plain and simple. If your using standalone buckets, you can always sterilize a bucket, add nutes, and just move the netpot lid from one tub to another. If you can lightly rinse off the roots and get as much crap off of them as possible. Try to avoid H2O2 if you can. It kills all of the little guys and then you get stuff eating the little guys and there is sure to be something that decides your roots taste good too. lol. Sorry Little stoned at the end there, hahahh.

Good luck! :)

L

Lost

Oh, and organics in DWC sucks :) Its always a mess (shit growing that you dont want).

If I can suggest something like General Hydro 2 part, House and gardens Aqua Flakes, etc.. I tried to make organics work for 4-5 months and could never get it right. Could just be me :)

L

Lost

Beneficials. Fungi, trichoderma and enzymes that are good for your plant and not preying upon it.

Z

Zac(Aus)

hey yeah i clean my res every week it doesnt get any fungi tho sometimes its a bit slimy though i just wash my res out with me back yard hose andthen fillher back up pop the plants back in and there goin fine

B

BudBlazer

gonna stick with the organics and switch to cal-mag instead of using molasses. see what that does.

R

Radio_Dread

yeah i agree. stay clear of organics in DWC or you will be in for the same place your in now.

P

peabody

i agree radio used roots in dwc last run an the shiyyat left on the bottomwas nasty made me wonder how much of what i put in was i really throwing out an how much was being used. be safe peabody.

L

Lost

gonna stick with the organics and switch to cal-mag instead of using molasses. see what that does.

Those two nutes have no replacement value over the other. Thats like saying, " The exhaust on my car fell off, so im going to get a car wash so its as good as new!"

Don't mess with the cal-mag. Don't use ANY sugar in your DWC untill you know wth you are doing. That stuff will feed the stuff that will kill your plant.

What you need to do: Get a dedicated hydroponic nute schedual. I like House and Garden myself. Stop fucking around trying to make it up as you go. Take the advice your given and you will do alot better. DWC is the hardest way to grow and Organics is the hardest (worst) way to do DWC.

Or you can grow ditch weed :)

Trend

Trend

Or,correct me if I'm wrong...Use sm90 aor zone ect...and not have to worry bout any of the baddies.

B

BudBlazer

We've got it under control with using a little less nutes and no molasses. Also started using hygrozyme and that helped clear it up. So far its looking good. Ill try and post pics this weekend.

Top Bottom