DWC Water Pump Recommendations For Flushing?

• Thread starter deadlysars
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
deadlysars

deadlysars

Hello,

I'm a soil grower looking to try DWC growing. I'm just getting my system set up and thinking through all the pieces.

Here's my current setup.

A 26 gallon Sterlite container with 2 three inch nettie pot.
4V. 64 gallon air pump with two air stone
Rockwool and clay pebbles

The piece I need help is what method do you use to pump out the water of your DWC system when flushing?

I don't think a submersible pump would be good be a good idea.

I was thinking about adding a drain outlet at the bottom of the container but I'm too afraid of the system failing overtime and water spewing out on my hardwood floors. I don't think using a bucket would be an issue for flushing at first but as the planet gets bigger that won't be a good idea.

The only thing that I can think of is a drill pump.

FLLW

FLLW

What you are looking for is a "transfer pump".
You cut a drain hole above (not low) in the deck of your net pot.
If you use a 1-1/8" hole saw, that will be big enough to accommodate a standard garden hose (end).
You put one end of the transfer pump hose in your DWC tank and the other end in a collection bucket to drain.
Then reverse hoses and fill your DWC tank with your new solution.
61C72867 056E 4FE5 B501 E56748B635D8 1 105 c

Pictured above is the transfer pump available on Amazon.

Notice the screen over the hose end?
This is added to protect your roots (so they don't get sucked into the hose).
2BD8BC96 E16D 492B A976 C39B4E184B39 1 105 c

The 1-1/8" inch hole in your net pot lid can be plugged with a #6 rubber stopper (available on Amazon).
The stopper is also seen in the pic above.

Last edited:
Cashmeh

Cashmeh

Make sure you pump has a mesh filter on it. so roots dont clog it..Shit gets tangled up in there with all those roots also. If I were you id run some pex off your pump strait up, put some hangers on your lid, then t off to split. . then you have two waterfalls creating surface movement and helping ensure your 02 levels are equal through out your water column. I dont like drilling holes in the side of the totes, leaks suck. I do not mind drilling holes in the lids, cant really leak. I run my airlines through the roof, and if you just keep your water lines internal, less chances of light leaks. Eliminate all light leaks btw. Keep your netpots full of pebbles, dont let any light down inside the water, thats how you get root rot. Anyways, follow my 6 strains in the same hydro system for lots more info. . i put it all on there. Been doing RDWC for over a year and no real isssues. Good luck

deadlysars

deadlysars

Make sure you pump has a mesh filter on it. so roots dont clog it..Shit gets tangled up in there with all those roots also. If I were you id run some pex off your pump strait up, put some hangers on your lid, then t off to split. . then you have two waterfalls creating surface movement and helping ensure your 02 levels are equal through out your water column. I dont like drilling holes in the side of the totes, leaks suck. I do not mind drilling holes in the lids, cant really leak. I run my airlines through the roof, and if you just keep your water lines internal, less chances of light leaks. Eliminate all light leaks btw. Keep your netpots full of pebbles, dont let any light down inside the water, thats how you get root rot. Anyways, follow my 6 strains in the same hydro system for lots more info. . i put it all on there. Been doing RDWC for over a year and no real isssues. Good luck
Thanks! Will read your thread. Appreciate all the tips.

logic

logic

Administrator
Staff
What you are looking for is a "transfer pump".
You cut a drain hole above (not low) in the deck of your net pot.
If you use a 1-1/8" hole saw, that will be big enough to accommodate a standard garden hose (end).
You put one end of the transfer pump hose in your DWC tank and the other end in a collection bucket to drain.
Then reverse hoses and fill your DWC tank with your new solution.
View attachment 1225165

Pictured above is the transfer pump available on Amazon.

Notice the screen over the hose end?
This is added to protect your roots (so they don't get sucked into the hose).View attachment 1225166
The 1-1/8" inch hole in your net pot lid can be plugged with a #6 rubber stopper (available on Amazon).
The stopper is also seen in the pic above.
i recently brought a brass filter for my hose, they also sell plastic if you want cheap đź‘Ť

Oldman13

Oldman13

Well to be honest if you want to go cheap there is a cheaper way!
I wouldn't recommend it but if you, must and want to go cheap there is a cheaper way ... no plastic filters required! A gritty mouth it's part of experiencing the full flavor of cheapness:-) :-) :-)
Maxresdefault

Oldman13

Oldman13

Don't forget to hum just humming along emptying the dong as you're humming alone... Do not try this at home kids it is not a safe practice đź‘€

FLLW

FLLW

You can get a weighted siphon hose from Amazon with a detachable pump that saves you some sucking.

Top Bottom