E&F/F&D Question

• Thread starter Devoted1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

Devoted1

The set up:
4x8 flood table
4.75gal pots filled with clay pebbles. The dimensions of the pot is 12"x12" Top of pot and 8.5"x8.5" Bottom of pot with it being 12inches tall (this is the biggest square pot size I could find for this style of growing).

I was wondering if the depth of the table only lets you flood for about 3" or so, how far would the clay pebbles wick the water up the 12" high pot? This is assuming that I flood for 15mins every two hours lights on. Just to be clear, I have never done E&F/F&D before and want to learn about more about it. Thank you for any and all inputs. Have a nice day farmers!

Tank333

Tank333

Is there any way you could set it up to top-feed? That would fix your dilemma either way...

D

Devoted1

Hey thanks for the input bro! That's what I had in mind but then thought about the simplicity of F&D without all the extra fittings and tubing for top feed. That brought me to wonder if it produces similar results then I would rather go with F&D, but if top feed is a better feeding method then I don't mind going that route. So, in the end I'm back to the same question as to how high up does the water wick with clay pebbles!

K

kushtrees

hydroton doesnt wick very well. are you sure 3" is as high as you can flood, I used to flood 7-8" if memory servers correctly, that was with coco perlite though and that wicks a lot.

I would either top drip as tank suggested or find wider, shorter pots

how many plants are you doing also 4.25g will produce a large plant in only hydroton

D

Devoted1

Hey bro, I just went by what I saw at the shop when I was there. I didn't see any that had that kind of depth. It would be great if you can pm me where you got flood tables like that! I was planning on doing a vertical scrog like how Marlo did over on IC. I'm thinking of putting 20 plants in a 4x8 table. It will be divided into two doughnuts with 10 plants surrounding a 1k bare bulb.

K

kushtrees

I had botanicare trays, but i would flood up as high as possible.

That may get crowded very quick in a 4x8, but if someone has done it with good results go for it. I'm just worried that ull have heat stress issues because the plants will be getting very close to the bulb without a lot of training

D

Devoted1

I had botanicare trays, but i would flood up as high as possible.

That may get crowded very quick in a 4x8, but if someone has done it with good results go for it. I'm just worried that ull have heat stress issues because the plants will be getting very close to the bulb without a lot of training

Thanks for taking the time to read my thread and give me your advice KT. I really appreciate it :D

K

kushtrees

Glad to help, this site has helped me a ton just giving back some

S

SpinGrow

If you're still worried about the solution not wicking up far enough, I had the same problem in my veg room. I got around it by simply hand feeding my plants 2 times a day for 3-4 days. Gave the roots enough length to reach the solution upon flooding.

MonsterRobot

MonsterRobot

You might want to go with a different medium if you can only flood that high... Maybe go with Sure to Gro or Coco?

St3ve

St3ve

I would also recommend going with a different medium that would wick more.

Or, find squat pots that are shorter and fatter. If it was me, I would just use like a 7 gallon fabric pot and fill it half full.

G

Growops

i use clay pellets in pots flood and drain . after many years ive decided to switch to top feed while still using my trays . its very easy . i use 396gph eco plus pump . run 1/2 inch distubution hose from pump run the hos down middle of tray, then emmiter barb attach 1/4 feed line . x 9 per 4x4 tray. i noticed better growth compared to flood and drain . only 2 weeks in and i notice . try it !

Cat Jockey

Cat Jockey

You will not get much root growth above the flood level. The top feed is a bit more of a pain in the ass to set up and deal with, but I have done it with deeper pots as well. 3" is a pretty shallow flood, especially for a 12" pot. You can do it more simply by hand watering your pots. A bit more work, but who doesn't like playing in their garden? A couple times a day, scoop some nutrient solution out of your res with a cup and pour it into your pots.

St3ve

St3ve

Well then that could be why. If you flooded your table constantly you would get more growth also.

Just sayin..

ken dog

ken dog

when you transplant your clones into your pots, make sure that the main root goes all the way to the bottom of the pot... All you really need, is for the flood water to cover some of the roots.

the rest of the roots will find their own way into the flood table

Top Bottom