Eagle Claw on top new growth

• Thread starter dtischerd
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

dtischerd

so i lowered the light so its about a foot away.
Light 001
Light 002

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

IMO I really dont think your over feeding (like some people said) just give it half strength nutes for 3 waterings then the 4th watering give it plain water and repeat. Nute burn is almost always yellow and/or brown and I dont see that so keep ur light 10"-14" and stick to the feeding schedule watering every third day GOOD LUCK

What I just told you is strain dependant and it also depends on the drainage of your medium so tweak it to what your girls like.

Also, how much water (in ounces) are you giving your plants when you water??

AdvancedBioHydroponics

AdvancedBioHydroponics

Could be ph?

The only thing I can think of if your not really burning them is root damage?

It could be a drainage problem and there is a dead spot causing a salt buildup or lack of oxygen to the roots or a certain area of the root zone.

Sometimes when we get this we just re plant so we can check the root zone carefully.

W

willy led wonka

i agree on the over fertiliztion!! Use a flushing agent and straight h20 for a week or so and then start feeding "LIGHTLY" again.

obsoul33t

obsoul33t

IBL
I don't think it is nutrient issues , that looks like grape blister mites . i just had a battle with them .. if the leafclaw showed some burnt tips then maybe over fert ... super light yellow new growth with heavy leaf claw . as it degrades to a worse problem you will start to see the leaf surface look like it's blistering .. if not treated you will lose your plants as they will travel to all plants if they are touching ..
problem with these new little mites is that they are microscopic .

all your plants including mothers should be dipped in floramite/avid this wipes them out easily .. sulphur sprays work to keep them at bay but will not rid you of them ..

Darth Schwag

Darth Schwag

I have the same eagle clawing on my Master Kush. It started about the same as flowering initiated. They're 5 weeks into flowering and have been flushed twice to get a N surplus down. One differense is mine are also yellowing near the tips and eventually turning brown in the upper fan leaves. I have checked for insect and fungal vectors with a 200X microscope - found none. Temp, humidity and light proximity are good. Soil tests show depleated N but excessive P and K. I use RO/DI water pH adjusted to 6.5 but the soil tends to buffer back to 7.2. Anyway, i'm close to harvest and the situation seems to have stabilized. One fella mentioned that they might be root bound. The fan leaves are suffering but the buds and stems are absolutely sexy. Any ideas what caused the eagle clawing/upper fan burn?

D

dtischerd

what i'm gathering is i had waay to much N in there.

i flushed the soil and i added some Final Phase to get some of the nutes out of the soil.

all ive been doing is watering her with RO water and no nutes and she is still green as green can be...my other plant i added some Final Phase and within a day some of the lower fan leaves were starting to yellow.

she seems to be a super light feeder.

she hasn't gotton any worse,and i take it those clawed leaves will not return to normal.

i will cut my losses with her and finish her out,but i'm not hoping for much...just waiting for this grow to finish(about 4 more weeks left) i have a G13 Haze and a Amnesia Haze vegging under a T5 HO in my closet.

Darth Schwag

Darth Schwag

What i'm gathering is that this condition is a combination of root boundedness, nutrient burn from lockout and high heat from HID lighting. We're both suffering from root boundedness, but mine went a step further and started locking out NPK due to high pH and low water saturation. When i finally saw the water and pH problem, i fixed that just in time to cause a massive nute burn. Then fixed that by 2 emergency flushes. My poor male didn't make it! Anyway, that was weeks ago when they went fully into flowering. I still have some clawing but they have recovered nicely, for a first time grow. Don't give up on them; Fuss over them and watch them. They will recover.

D

dtischerd

well i know the high heat isn't an issue..cuz it doesnt get above 76F in my tent.

not sure about root bound that lady is in a much bigger pot than the lady thats doing great.

today i added some more final phase to my watering..hoping to get some yellowing on the fan leaves on my injured lady.

D

dtischerd

so today i transplanted my sick plant into a bigger bucket.

upon inspection of the roots..they look healthy,and they were root bound..when i pulled the plant from the bucket only a few grains of soil fell back into the bucket..lol

Darth Schwag

Darth Schwag

Got an update here. Let me first say that i have no idea why this happened. I'm just gonna throw this out there to help the sufferers. I let my ladies dry out for a few days prior to the procedure. I then went in with a cultivator and broke up the top 2/3 of soil and removed it to another bin for holding. I plugged the 5 gal bucket with a stopper and filled the bucket 2/3 full of pH 6.5 water. I let the plant sit in this water for 15 minutes then began slowly pulling the plant up and down by the trunk. Ie lifting up the whole root mass through the water for 5 minutes. This mechanically flushed the lower root system. I let it settle back to the bottom and drained the water out, also taking samples of the drain water to test. They were excessive in NPK readings. After the root mass had drained adequately, i lifted it out and packed 3" of Coco Coir in the bottom of the bucket. I put the plant back and filled the bucket with the old broken up soil. I then watered the plant with just pH 6.5 water and 1/4 strength superthrive. I came back in 2 days to prune off the eagle claws but the plants had fully recovered, except the leaves that had dried out. They seem to be a bit greener and there's new budding and leaf growth in the colas. The pistols have also begun to proliferate and grow about 1/2 longer than normal. There's pistols all over the buds and they're covered in full trichomes (all clear).

OctoberDee

OctoberDee

I'm currently having some clawing issues and seeing this thread gave me some insight into what's going on with my plants. A. My plants are probably root bound, B. I'm pretty sure I've over fed one and have been underfeeding another. C. I have been adding an excessive amount of calcium. I'll transplant, feed with 1/2 strength on the one that looks over fed and cut the cal and add more mag. I'll post the results when I see some.

D

dtischerd

well since ive transplanted her into a bigger pot she is showing signs of improvement..even though it set me back like 2 weeks..oh well..live and learn.

Bublonichronic

Bublonichronic

this might sound stupid, but your sure your not overwatering?

D

dtischerd

positive.. i never over watered..i made sure the bucket was very light before each watering.

when i saw the roots packed alongside the container i knew it was root bound.

kinda odd cuz my Sativa is in a much smaller bucket and about the same size as the Indica with no signs of any stress or anything lacking in nutes.

Dr.X

Dr.X

Hey man! Did you fix the problem? I know you said you have lots of ventilation, but I was reading that when there is not enough ventilation for the plants the leaves curl like your plants.. I'm curious about it

PS: with ventilation I mean air renovation

D

dtischerd

yea plenty of air movement.

i have a oscillating fan and a carbon filter in that tent,and the side windows are open all day long..until lights out..the fan stays on 24/7.

temps barely get above 78F,and they get as low as 68F during lighrs out.

S

S_D

Sometimes being too humid (could be from plants being too close to each other) and hot causes this, but your temps are good and got fans for good air movement which should keep humidity in check.

Most likely too much N/ over fert as stated by others. Hope all is looking well by now.

Top Bottom