Early brown pistols a sign of Pythium and Fusarium?

• Thread starter Joncat
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

Joncat

Hi Folks,

I’m on east coast in high humidity and high heat growing outdoor hemp. As a result, we had a fusarium and pythium which we initially treated with Actinovate and Regalia, but had to move to the big guns when after a week of foliar, soil drench and running through drip, plants were still dying. We switched to Oxidate which is peroxide-based and things started turning around. THEN more $&?!#%! Rain followed my high heat/humidity this week. While doing my field walk this am, I noticed by pistols are brown and curling slightly on the sativas and not the one indica strain.

Could this possibly be from the root pathogens we’ve been fighting? If so, is there a treatment? Could it be from another reason? They’re 9 weeks old and just starting to set flower. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! First-time field grower here:)
Early brown pistols a sign of  pythium and fusarium
Early brown pistols a sign of  pythium and fusarium 2
Early brown pistols a sign of  pythium and fusarium 3

J

Joncat

What causes bud rot? It’s still early flower, but high heat and humidity & if that causes bud rot.. it could be.

J

Joncat

I thought the same thing. whats throwing me off is the leaf curling/twisting, which makes me think ph. but i dont think thats it here. could it be, dare i say, bud rot?
I’ve been using ph adjuster from GH. However, there’s been a lot of rain, followed by heat and humidity. Could that be causing it? I sprayed last week with Azamax and Spinosad. Maybe that?

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

I’ve been using ph adjuster from GH. However, there’s been a lot of rain, followed by heat and humidity. Could that be causing it? I sprayed last week with Azamax and Spinosad. Maybe that?
try watering with the azamax,i had great success,any thing with bt will kill root worms,get them a lot in corn and they will rock the world,cant say ive seen it on the herb,but corn i have a perfectly healthy seedling go south in one day,dug one up and sure enough the root worms had chewed holes all in the roots,if you lucky that be it and bt will nip it in the bud,moisture is there hunting grounds

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

i also have to ask ,did you use fungicide at planting and or insecticide or both?

visajoe1

visajoe1

bud rot is a mold, its just typically found in formed buds. conditions such as yours can cause it. the odd part here is how young/little the buds are. its also possible they didnt react well to whatever you sprayed on them last.

J

Joncat

i also have to ask ,did you use fungicide at planting and or insecticide or both?
Didn’t use it at planting but had to use fungicide last two weeks. Soul drench & run through drench. I used active bacteria first with no results (Actinovate and Regalia) so I moved on to Oxidate which is peroxide based and was the only thing that slowed it down.

visajoe1

visajoe1

does it sound like this at all? credit @Unimportant

Ahh...My new old friend....

I have been having this problem for about 5 years now.
I am convinced it is a new type of Phytoplasma...possible viroid or bacterial infection ....maybe a cross vectoring from leafhoppers carrying aster yellows, purpletop .etc or other known phytoplasma types.
Definitely not a deficiency or cold related in any way..
Insect vector of some sort...leaf hopper or mite/aphid...?
Starts almost always at flowering onset usually mid end of july and peaks mid august.
Begins on the growing tips and then proceeds to spread down the stem infecting other nodes along the way..you can actually see the threads of anthocyanin/purple traveling along and down the stem spreading internally from the infection point.
Very severe stunting and black purple anthocyanin build up..tastes terrible wont burn right etc..
i have used systemics to control it...and it will grow out of it after treatment...but i always remove it completely as soon as i see it anywhere, to prevent possible further spread.
Prevention is key to control, chemical IPM works, but is very heavy handed..

More info from anyone is very much appreciated.
reports found on the internet i have gathered it is also in hawaii "blackdeath forum thread somewhere" and the upper midwest from different posters with positive ID.

If you haven't had a run in with this yet..it is only a matter of time before you will.
20 years no problem...Now its every year at just at the onset of flower...Just like clockwork.

Keep the info flowing.

J

Joncat

bud rot is a mold, its just typically found in formed buds. conditions such as yours can cause it. the odd part here is how young/little the buds are. its also possible they didnt react well to whatever you sprayed on them last.
I think maybe I shouldn’t have mixed the Aramaz and Spinosad? Usually I spray separate but short window to get them sprayed for catapillars.
It couldn’t been stress from the heat, or from being treated through the drip with the peroxide base fungicide, though these are plants that received maybe a 1/4 cup of fungicide unlike several cups worth used as soil drench on the larger plants.

Top Bottom