Earwigs

• Thread starter Attis
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
A

Attis

I read Pro's outdoor thread and I was wondering if earwigs actually eat cannabis flowers? I know that they eat soft fruits and grow shoots, but they also eat other bugs. In other words, will they do more harm than good or vice versa?

PS I noticed them in my indoor garden but they haven't done any damage yet. I just wanted to know if I should allow them to stay or is it inevitable that they will start to destroy my plants?

Thanks
-A

J

jdubz206

i honestly don't know but personally, i'd kill them...most bugs carry other nasty parasites and disease and mold and crap like that so i try to keep em as far away from my plants as possible...just my $.02

RoadRunneR

RoadRunneR

I've had earwigs in my indoor garden for years now. Where I live it's impossible to keep them out. I keep their numbers down by killing all I can. But I have never felt that they have ever harmed my plants.

earwigs are the only things that have ever given me nightmares. As a kid I became deadly afraid of them. Until one day when my dad looked up information on them and prooved to me that they were harmless, to the human that is.

R

redog

I've had earwigs in my indoor garden for years now. Where I live it's impossible to keep them out. I keep their numbers down by killing all I can. But I have never felt that they have ever harmed my plants.

earwigs are the only things that have ever given me nightmares. As a kid I became deadly afraid of them. Until one day when my dad looked up information on them and prooved to me that they were harmless, to the human that is.

Gawd!I hate these creatures too.That pincer and the way they crawl around mess me up.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
GAH! I found the earwig (pinchbugs in my world) thread!
Finally, a place to deposit my eggs.
:makeup

Earwigs
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
So how do we attempt to get rid of them?
So it was you..! I understand that DE is very effective with pinchbugs. I found that the problem was GREATLY reduced when the local frogs began to set up shop in my basement.

mastacheeser

mastacheeser

aww i HATE these things
normally no problems with bugs, squash the hell outa them and get on with it, but these things are bastards
the kind we had in iowa would grow wings as well, quick lil fuckers

mastacheeser

mastacheeser

never had probs inside(knock on wood) but this is what a quick google search gave me
Earwig Control and Recommendations
Removing earwig habitats is very important to the control of all insects, including earwigs.

As they are attracted to lights, it might help to reduce some of the lighting outside at night.

Most insecticide treatment should be done outside with application around the building foundation, flower beds, mulch areas and turf within a couple of yards of the building, as well as in the crawl space areas of the home. Treat in a three to six foot band around the building adjacent to the foundation (perimeter treatment) to stop or limit earwigs from getting indoors. Spring and Summer are the best times to apply insecticides

Earwigs are attracted to moist areas like the foundation around your house. If you want to get rid of earwigs, it is suggested that you clean and groom the areas immediately around the foundation of your home. Gravel and white stones can be layered around the foundation to help drainage around the sides of the home, thus limiting the attraction of earwigs.Earwigs can gain entrance to your home through ground level windows. To get rid of earwigs, you’ll want to make sure that screens on your windows are properly fixed and fitted to the window frame. If you find that earwigs are getting in through cracks between the window and the window frame, the problem is easily solved with weather stripping.Earwigs will enter your home through loose or drafty doors. If you’re going to get rid of earwigs, you’ll want to seal the more obvious entrances to your home—the doors. Doors and door frames are the most common access points for pests like earwigs. Be sure to examine each doorway into your home and address cracks and holes with weather stripping, caulk, or putty.Earwigs can be controlled with boric acid powder. To get rid of earwigs that have made it into your home despite proper sealing and landscaping techniques, spreading a residual insecticide like boric acid near baseboards, cracks, and hard to reach places is recommended. Boric acid is a natural insecticide and works only if the earwig is forced to travel through the powder.Large populations of earwigs can be controlled with a vacuum. If you find a large colony of earwigs in a concentrated area, the most effective way to get rid of them is to vacuum them up. Be sure to have the vacuum ready before disturbing their resting place because as soon as you get in there, they will scatter. Make sure to empty the vacuum or the vacuum bag in a sealed container and dispose of it immediately. Also, vacuum up any white, egg-like objects around the area.Killing Earwigs
There are a lot of insecticides and pesticides on the market that will kill earwigs. Sprays are generally not as effective as granule and residual earwig treatments. For basic earwig control and even treatment of large earwig infestations, both an indoor and outdoor earwig control regiment should be instituted. Boric acid powder, insecticide dusts, and other earwig powders and dusts containing pyrethrins are effective earwig control agents in the home. Outside of the home, earwig control agents should be spread 6–10 feet from the foundation outwards, all the way around your home. This type of earwig control is made more effective if sprayed lightly with water to help the poison seep into the ground (2–3 inches) where earwigs generally lay their eggs.

crom

crom

Cannobi Genetics
Supporter
never had probs inside(knock on wood) but this is what a quick google search gave me

Oh that's it? lol I don't see them in the indoor garden per se, but if you do any gardening in a garage or warehouse you'll see'em. DE works too.

Cheers,
Crom

TheGreenMan

TheGreenMan

I've found that a couple of bands of double sided carpet tape around the outside of my pots keeps anything that crawls from getting up to my plants. It also affords me the luxury of identifying any bugs that are attempting infiltration, which let's me know what my girls need to stop them.

Top Bottom