Easiest Soil Mix For The Beginner?

• Thread starter bibiking
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

bibiking

I wanted to say a BIG THANK YOU to all of you. you really wormed my heart.
it feels like 3 years of failures will soon come to its end.

I want to sum it up before we continue -

I live in Greece, and I relocate myself to new countries every couple of years. so being able to grow with simple and available materials is important for me. (I think it is a good knowledge for any grower)

I see a lot of good stuff in the US, but it is not available for me.

Meaning - I can use only products which are for regular plants.
I don't mind spending money.

so -
I will buy soil in the store, add lots of worm casting, some perlite (?), some compost (?), and will add some organic nutes from the store every once in a while.

what do you think? will is be OK? what do I need to keep in mind?

F

FutureGrower

I live in Greece, and I relocate myself to new countries every couple of years. so being able to grow with simple and available materials is important for me. (I think it is a good knowledge for any grower)

so -
I will buy soil in the store, add lots of worm casting, some perlite (?), some compost (?), and will add some organic nutes from the store every once in a while.

This should work well. Perlite will more than work. I've heard of guys skipping traditional composts and going all earth worm castings. Theres even people who plant in pure compost without aeration, I do believe they amend it still but not positive. Then you just need some either peat moss or coco coir or a skip it and do all compost.

If you do all compost I would start seedlings and cuttings off in a solo cup, some people I see will stick it into the soil which is probably easier for you but it has a higher chance of failure.

If you can find the amendments in your local stores you should be completely solid. The basalt rock dust I'm not sure if you'll be able to find but its great for your micro life probably isn't needed. Even if you miss a few things it should work, at least this is what I'm learning over time seeing all the crazy organic soil recipes out there.

Oh and we are here to help man. Hope you get this stuff on the move and fix that 3 year itch! :)

H

hawkman

so -

if you can get alfalfa you can make tariconal

so -

if you can get alfalfa you can make Triacontanal (alfalfa meal ,ect) which will be a natural forum which increase growth rates,, ect there are some companies in U.S that put this in their nutrients ?mix's - If you can get it let me know and I will tell you how to make it. Don't over do it on the castings/perlite are you going to use any soil other than Compost ? ow much do you need to make ? will give you amounts of needed for ?

hillbil

hillbil

Flax, Alfalfa, oats and Kelp meals are available worldwide. Pellets can be chopped with blender. Bone meal of some sort and wood ash. Use what is available. Dolomite is nice and Limestone.

B

bibiking

WOW guys, thank you very much.
I do have alfalfa, oats and flax. how should I use it?

I just bought in the store soil. it say
PH 5.5-6.5 - enriched peat moss

will that do OK?
I also bought liquid worm casting (I will get the usuall worm casting in 2 weeks)

I thought of mixing 33% soil, 33% perlite, 33% compost and add liquid worm casting every week (as it say on the box).

will that do?

if you have a better idea, I will be happy to change plans

thanks again :)

Reactions: Ina
M

mmjcard420

I am here to learn about the medical card legalization of marijuana and share some thoughts about marijuana also.

H

hawkman

WOW guys, thank you very much.
I do have alfalfa, oats and flax. how should I use it?

I just bought in the store soil. it say
PH 5.5-6.5 - enriched peat moss

will that do OK?
I also bought liquid worm casting (I will get the usuall worm casting in 2 weeks)

I thought of mixing 33% soil, 33% perlite, 33% compost and add liquid worm casting every week (as it say on the box).

will that do?

if you have a better idea, I will be happy to change plans

thanks again :)

Concerning the alfalfa you make "triacontanal" you need to "brew" it for 48 hrs. you need a bucket/barrel/ect and a bubbler (simmular to what in fish tanks) will get you the amounts of (amount of/gallon)
what you have will work great - you will find that you will always "twik" (improve) you mix -go with what you have, just make sure you don't use too much perlite

Happy Cultivation !!!!

B

bibiking

Concerning the alfalfa you make "triacontanal" you need to "brew" it for 48 hrs. you need a bucket/barrel/ect and a bubbler (simmular to what in fish tanks) will get you the amounts of (amount of/gallon)
what you have will work great - you will find that you will always "twik" (improve) you mix -go with what you have, just make sure you don't use too much perlite

Happy Cultivation !!!!

Thank you SOOO much :)

hillbil

hillbil

NPK lists available online. I mix a couple tbs of a couple of seed meals per gallon. Wood ash can be mixed in and light top dress in flower, as well as teas and mixed in.

But “enriched” could mean already has slow release nutes.

NJPBG

NJPBG

3.8 cu. ft. Bale of promix
1/2 20qt bag of worm gold worm castings
1 25lb bag blue ribbon organic compost
2- 18qt bags Hoffman natural perlite
2 cups espoma blood meal
2 cups espoma greensand
2 cups espoma soft rock phosphate
5 cups espoma bone meal
6 cups espoma garden lime
2 cups espoma kelp meal
2 cups happy frog bat guano
1 cup down to earth neem seed meal
5 cups down to earth alfalfa meal
5 cups down to earth oyster shell meal
3 cups raw supply azomite
1/2 cup terravita humic acid
2 cups mycominerals mykos
1 cup epsom salt

This is my current mix. Took me some years and many different batches but this is my all around base mix that works for just about everything. straight water. I will top dress with worm castings or dolomiteP lime when needed and I will do a calmag tea when needed as well. But this mix has been very low maintenance for me. I mix it all and let it cook for not less than 30 days before I use it. But honestly the greensand takes 6+months to break down into the soil so the longer cook the better. I also saturate the roots with mycos when I transplant.

A71DE367 AEC8 46B2 9348 137F3EDE83AC

H

hawkman

3.8 cu. ft. Bale of promix
1/2 20qt bag of worm gold worm castings
1 25lb bag blue ribbon organic compost
2- 18qt bags Hoffman natural perlite
2 cups espoma blood meal
2 cups espoma greensand
2 cups espoma soft rock phosphate
5 cups espoma bone meal
6 cups espoma garden lime
2 cups espoma kelp meal
2 cups happy frog bat guano
1 cup down to earth neem seed meal
5 cups down to earth alfalfa meal
5 cups down to earth oyster shell meal
3 cups raw supply azomite
1/2 cup terravita humic acid
2 cups mycominerals mykos
1 cup epsom salt

This is my current mix. Took me some years and many different batches but this is my all around base mix that works for just about everything. straight water. I will top dress with worm castings or dolomiteP lime when needed and I will do a calmag tea when needed as well. But this mix has been very low maintenance for me. I mix it all and let it cook for not less than 30 days before I use it. But honestly the greensand takes 6+months to break down into the soil so the longer cook the better. I also saturate the roots with mycos when I transplant.

View attachment 855387

Thanks a bunch !!!!!!!!!!!! been looking for a above average mix - found one - cost ? that's the thing about mixing one's own a bit pricey but in the end worth it wonder if it would make a good compost tea (bag it and brew it for 48 hrs)

NJPBG

NJPBG

Thanks a bunch !!!!!!!!!!!! been looking for a above average mix - found one - cost ? that's the thing about mixing one's own a bit pricey but in the end worth it wonder if it would make a good compost tea (bag it and brew it for 48 hrs)

Honestly it’s not too cheap to start from scratch, this is years of buying bags here and bags there. You’re probably looking at around 500 bucks all in all. I don’t think you need to go this crazy in a tea. For me a tea is more about using specific ingredients to help a plant with a deficiency, so it’s always different depending on what your plant needs or likes.

NJPBG

NJPBG

Honestly it’s not too cheap to start from scratch, this is years of buying bags here and bags there. You’re probably looking at around 500 bucks all in all. I don’t think you need to go this crazy in a tea. For me a tea is more about using specific ingredients to help a plant with a deficiency, so it’s always different depending on what your plant needs or likes.

Also let me add, that mix is super hot. I haven’t burnt anything in it but for younger plants I’ll normally put the full strength at the bottom of the pot and for the top I’ll mix 1/2 straight pro mix and 1/2 super soil and a transplant into that

H

hawkman

Yea - one for veg and one for bloom

UncleRomulus

UncleRomulus

Sorry to throw a curveball here, but just gotta say one thing. No disrespect to organic folks, but there are times and situations that the eeeeevil chemicals are practical and sometimes even safer/cleaner/conservative. I respect all styles of growing, but do not respect loons that think they are so righteous and saving the whales tho lol. That liquid seaweed doesn’t grow on trees.
That being said, going “organic” is pretty damn sweet. (No-til is so cool and cheap once you got er going)
But for the O P, know that if you want to keep it simple and small, organic super soil stylez might not be your best option. Simply because it’s actually a very challenging style to dial in and to actually do well. That’s why I have lots of respect for my organic brothers and sisters.
Besides watering less, I don’t see it being “easier” than using bottled ferts (you can get organic products if that’s important to you)
Just my 2 cents. If you feel passionate about the style you had in mind just ignore my ol ramblings. Just know organic soil mixes are a bloody science to the folks that actually pull it off and not as easy as it looks

F

FutureGrower

Sorry to throw a curveball here, but just gotta say one thing. No disrespect to organic folks, but there are times and situations that the eeeeevil chemicals are practical and sometimes even safer/cleaner/conservative. I respect all styles of growing, but do not respect loons that think they are so righteous and saving the whales tho lol. That liquid seaweed doesn’t grow on trees.
That being said, going “organic” is pretty damn sweet. (No-til is so cool and cheap once you got er going)
But for the O P, know that if you want to keep it simple and small, organic super soil stylez might not be your best option. Simply because it’s actually a very challenging style to dial in and to actually do well. That’s why I have lots of respect for my organic brothers and sisters.
Besides watering less, I don’t see it being “easier” than using bottled ferts (you can get organic products if that’s important to you)
Just my 2 cents. If you feel passionate about the style you had in mind just ignore my ol ramblings. Just know organic soil mixes are a bloody science to the folks that actually pull it off and not as easy as it looks

Brother. You can get a water reservoir a blumat system and leave your plant til you're ready to flip it. The background of this guy is what is actually key.

He says he has attempted to grow cannabis for 3 years unsuccessfully in hydro and seemed to be struggling with the idea of coco.

Chill man we get it, each to their own but don't be so defensive.

Latest posts

Top Bottom