easiest way to grow from cutting

• Thread starter Al628
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Al628

Al628

Hi I’m super beginner at this. I know most of you use fancy cloning techniques and stuff but what would be the easiest way to grow from a cutting? Will it work if I just put the clipping in water with like a bag over like other plants? Or will that not work?

Steveystrappa

Steveystrappa

No if your gonna do it do it right. Follow my thread on cloning it will tell you everything you need to know. And make sure you take advice from people who's pictures back up the talk lol

Steveystrappa

Steveystrappa

Get a idea of which branches you want to use for cuttings ahead of time. Try to make sure they are closer to bottom of plant and have like 2-3 nodes and 6+ inches. Soak rapid rooters for like a 12hrs to a full day before. Make sure you have everything set up and ready. Then do one at a time use clean scissors or razore(must be very sharp) cut the one you want then I make another 45° cut on clone dip in rooting gel and let sit for a few minutes. I'll sprinkle some great white root powder in soaked rapid rooter . I'll also clip back the fan leaves about half way down leaves . I won't touch the new top growth. Then I'll put cutting in cube. Do this to all of them. Then I'll put a couple towels down for warmth or you can use heat pad. I'll do a initial quick spray with either rain water or spring water. I will spary the dome them put over. I'll leave on 24grs a day except to spare dome very lightly for first few days. Then I'll introduce air slowly. Usually it's the gardener not the products your using. Just make sure it's a good healthy plant. Also use a 6400 k cfl works best. All this worked for me and is just my opinion

20210621 204214
20210621 204222
Madbud

Madbud

Hi I’m super beginner at this. I know most of you use fancy cloning techniques and stuff but what would be the easiest way to grow from a cutting? Will it work if I just put the clipping in water with like a bag over like other plants? Or will that not work?
It does work, i do all the wrong things and the cuttings still grow. Ideally, fresh cut, scrape a little, put in water under a dome like the top half of a water bottle. Agitate the water and change it as needed. A drop of nutes won’t hurt it. 18-24 hour light but i use 12-14. When you see root buds or real roots its ready for soil, i even use those net jiffy peat pots, keep the dome on it with a loose cap for a week or so. Its time consuming compared to the clonirator xl but they survive and eventually thrive. I feel like a murderer when i throw away pruned branches. Trial and error but they want to live.
edit: i use a clear cup inside a colored cup to check the root development, “high” tek

Last edited:
Al628

Al628

Get a idea of which branches you want to use for cuttings ahead of time. Try to make sure they are closer to bottom of plant and have like 2-3 nodes and 6+ inches. Soak rapid rooters for like a 12hrs to a full day before. Make sure you have everything set up and ready. Then do one at a time use clean scissors or razore(must be very sharp) cut the one you want then I make another 45° cut on clone dip in rooting gel and let sit for a few minutes. I'll sprinkle some great white root powder in soaked rapid rooter . I'll also clip back the fan leaves about half way down leaves . I won't touch the new top growth. Then I'll put cutting in cube. Do this to all of them. Then I'll put a couple towels down for warmth or you can use heat pad. I'll do a initial quick spray with either rain water or spring water. I will spary the dome them put over. I'll leave on 24grs a day except to spare dome very lightly for first few days. Then I'll introduce air slowly. Usually it's the gardener not the products your using. Just make sure it's a good healthy plant. Also use a 6400 k cfl works best. All this worked for me and is just my opinion

but what about cutting the top off? Not the branches, like I’m trying to make it busshier so cut off the top few nodes? Would that work?

Steveystrappa

Steveystrappa

but what about cutting the top off? Not the branches, like I’m trying to make it busshier so cut off the top few nodes? Would that work?
It will get bushy on its own. Clones grow very quick once rooted and put in right conditions. They are technically as old as the plant they came off so well jump right back too it when rooted and healthy. Red runtz clone about 1 month apart

Screenshot 20210621 210423 Chrome
Screenshot 20210621 210432 Chrome
Al628

Al628

It does work, i do all the wrong things and the cuttings still grow. Ideally, fresh cut, scrape a little, put in water under a dome like the top half of a water bottle. Agitate the water and change it as needed. A drop of nutes won’t hurt it. 18-24 hour light but i use 12-14. When you see root buds or real roots its ready for soil, i even use those net jiffy peat pots, keep the dome on it with a loose cap for a week or so. Its time consuming compared to the clonirator xl but they survive and eventually thrive. I feel like a murderer when i throw away pruned branches. Trial and error but they want to live.View attachment 1138123edit: i use a clear cup inside a colored cup to check the root development, “high” tek
Lol same, even my other plants, like this oregano plant I have grows like crazy, I’ll cut off a bunch of branches, throw them on the ground and they’ll start rooting and growing like weeds it’s insane. I have to think it’ll work for these too. Thank you! I feel bad not doing it the “right” way but I honestly don’t have time or patience to try that hard lmao

Madbud

Madbud

Lol same, even my other plants, like this oregano plant I have grows like crazy, I’ll cut off a bunch of branches, throw them on the ground and they’ll start rooting and growing like weeds it’s insane. I have to think it’ll work for these too. Thank you! I feel bad not doing it the “right” way but I honestly don’t have time or patience to try that hard lmao
My first clone was a cutting in the bird bath😂

Al628

Al628

It will get bushy on its own. Clones grow very quick once rooted and put in right conditions. They are technically as old as the plant they came off so well jump right back too it when rooted and healthy. Red runtz clone about 1 month apart
Damn that’s insane, those look so good. But I mean the original, I’m trying to top it, cut off the top? Would that work as a cutting? Rather than taking lower branches?

Steveystrappa

Steveystrappa

Damn that’s insane, those look so good. But I mean the original, I’m trying to top it, cut off the top? Would that work as a cutting? Rather than taking lower branches?
I don't see why not

Moshmen

Moshmen

It will take longer and not as high of success rate but absolutely cut put in water and wait just like flowers change water as needed

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
Some things I've learned. Low light. So I just put them by me at my desk. I change the water often, 2 or 3 days. In about 4 days they get little white nubs. In about a week they get some little roots.

And... Put them right in water. So cut, then right in water.

When you pot them, keep them in low light, like the edge of the tent or I've set them on a table right out of the open tent. But, like harden them to go into the tent.

Steveystrappa

Steveystrappa

My temps stayed on lower side roughly average. 73°f I found a nice quick way way to warm up root area and whole dome. I have a 250wat heat lamp that I used during winter months sometimes. I took that and would hold about 2 ft away and slowly warm up area checking temp and making sure not too hot. Did this for 5 minutes here 5 minutes there a few times a day. Clones really like it. Helped speed it up. Im not talking sitting there and cooking them either. Just some nice warmth if house was getting chilly because of ac.

Top Bottom