Easiest way to weed out males without wasting soil?

• Thread starter bigjay420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
bigjay420

bigjay420

Aye farmers! Title says it all. I'm looking for the most convenient way to weed out males without having to transplant for full flower (ie waste more soil on a bunch of ball smuggling pollen jockeys) . I've seen a few methods, but found very little details. Any help given would be swell. Fact based links appreciated! I'm also looking into the benefits of cloning, so helpful articles related to that are appreciated, as well. Thanks a ton, farm!

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
I have no idea why you wrote on muh wall but i have no idea how to weed out males.....

bigjay420

bigjay420

I have no idea why you wrote on muh wall but i have no idea how to weed out males.....
My bad. I usually send my friends a message so they can weigh in. I had no friends online currently so I looked for reputable farmers who were on, as im trying to get some advise now. Sorry for bothering you. It most def will not happen again.

Canappa

Canappa

Though I never did it I was going to take some cutting while in veg and put them in my clone machine and set the lights on 12/12. After about 1-2wks I should be able to see who the male are? think it will work plus I can keep my plant in veg.

way2green

way2green

Though I never did it I was going to take some cutting while in veg and put them in my clone machine and set the lights on 12/12. After about 1-2wks I should be able to see who the male are? think it will work plus I can keep my plant in veg.
I believe that will work just fine @Canappa but are you waiting until they get feet on them?

way2green

way2green

I am getting ready to pop about 6-8 new varietals. I am very interested in this method because I am gonna start with 4 beans of each. Could save me a lot of time, money and space. I am gonna pm you later to get specifics

starr

starr

Take clones and flower small then reuse the soil. You won't need more than a gallon or even 1/2 gallon pot and time too determine sex.

S

ssteely71

Stick to clones of plants of known sex and you'll never be left guessing..

He has to find the females before he can stick to them. Lol.
-----------
I got a message too, I thought it was an emergency. :/
------------

I never waste soil. Shake every bit of soil you can loose from any males rootball before you discard him. Use that soil for young plants.
But as far as sexing efficiently or quickly ...... I just let the plant decide when to tell me it's sex. I usually see sex anywhere from day 30-45 while young plants are still in one gallon pots. No real waste of soil. Your going to have to just put the time and resources into searching out your females. Now. Once you find her. Clone the shit outta her.
Best of luck.

Metalman

Metalman

-----------
------------

I never waste soil. Shake every bit of soil you can loose from any males rootball before you discard him. Use that soil for young plants.
But as far as sexing efficiently or quickly ...... I just let the plant decide when to tell me it's sex. I usually see sex anywhere from day 30-45 while young plants are still in one gallon pots. No real waste of soil. Your going to have to just put the time and resources into searching out your females. Now. Once you find her. Clone the shit outta her.
Best of luck.

Lol that's true. Only have to go through the sexing process once, so not much waste involved.

bigjay420

bigjay420

Hey @bigjay420 !! I find most males will show in veg with some type of preflower. I HIGHLY advice studying the pictures of preflowers , and preflower traits of males online! I can tell sex before putting plants into flower about 95% of the time but this is from years of checking myself (making my guesses marking plants , then flowering them.. I would keep suspected males in 1 gallon pots, only transplanting to bigger if they showed female, sometimes I would pull them out of flower and put them bakc into veg. if it had only been a few days!!!) anywho, I hope that helps! The 1 gallon method works like a charm! Males tend to be taller, have a certain look to the preflower growth etc.... Le tme know if I can be of more help!!!
Thanks So much Andy! This is exactly the kind of helpful answer that keeps me coming to this forum EXCLUSIVELY. I very much appreciate you stopping by to share your methods and findings. Cheers from the south!!!

bigjay420

bigjay420

-----------
------------

Best of luck.
Shaking out the soil from males is a very good (& simple) way to save a little extra cost. I can't believe it never crossed my mind. I guess i just assumed all the good stuff inside would be used up. Thanks! Your advise is always stellar!

Canappa

Canappa

I believe that will work just fine @Canappa but are you waiting until they get feet on them?

No just to sex them, being in the hydro will keep them growing with out a root system I believe. But I have yet to try it I will be doing it soon hopefully I can have a better answer.

bigjay420

bigjay420

If you don't wanna waste soil, then hydro is the way to go. You can set up a system with minimal investment just to take clones and sex them.
Thanks for the advise. Ive never really looked into hydro. I really enjoy the results and taste of super soil. But im very open minded to new methods. How minimal a cost are you talking off the top of your head?

way2green

way2green

Shaking out the soil from males is a very good (& simple) way to save a little extra cost. I can't believe it never crossed my mind. I guess i just assumed all the good stuff inside would be used up. Thanks! Your advise is always stellar!
Keep in mind that some of the nutes used in flowering could be too sttong or less than agreeable if you use that soil in veg.

way2green

way2green

No just to sex them, being in the hydro will keep them growing with out a root system I believe. But I have yet to try it I will be doing it soon hopefully I can have a better answer.
I would love to hear your results when you get it rolling!

bigjay420

bigjay420

Keep in mind that some of the nutes used in flowering could be too sttong or less than agreeable if you use that soil in veg.
I don't use any nutrients after I mix my batch. I use super soil and FFOF. They start in FFOF, and transplant once into super soil with a FFOF buffer layer.

Canappa

Canappa

Thanks for the advise. Ive never really looked into hydro. I really enjoy the results and taste of super soil. But im very open minded to new methods. How minimal a cost are you talking off the top of your head?

I been growing nft hydro for many years, I never buy soil for any reason. I built my system for a few hundred buck not including pump. check out my DIY nft system for $200 bucks https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/my-200-00-nft-rain-gutter-system.60308/ .I am building my new set up as we speak, will update with pics.

Top Bottom