Ebb and Gro over watering or under watering?

• Thread starter .MonsterRobot.
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

.MonsterRobot.

I have a few plants in my Ebb and Gro system that are looking like they are over watered. I am growing in Hydroton and using Humboldt Oneness and Ginormous and CalMag and Hygrozyme. I am currently flooding 3 times during the 12/12 cycle and I recently moved my plants into the flowering room. While they were in veg they were flooded 4 times a day and they looked great.

My flowering room has a co2 burner and atmospheric controller. The temps don't get above 87 and the humidity doesn't go above 45 ever so conditions seem to be right and I don't know what the problem is.

It looks like over watering and with the ebb and gro system there is a little bit of water left in the bottoms of the buckets after the flood cycle. Could this be a problem?

Or maybe since I have co2 I need to water more to keep up with the growth?

Any advice would be appreciated,
MonsterRobot

I will post some pics once the lights go on in a few hours.

B

been

If it don't get better right after you water, it's over-watering or maybe water temps are out of whack.

D

doco

I'm using Ebb & Gro bucket system and I use a 4x flood schedule also. With this system it is very difficult (maybe impossible?) to over-water since the roots are exposed to air 23 hours a day so I would suggest that your problem lies elsewhere.

The small amount of water left in the buckets has not been a problem for root rot either - my roots are always very healthy when Im done. (Although this next cycle I am putting 1" supports under the buckets to raise them slightly above the brain bucket)

You say your temps are not above 87 - is that room temp or at plant tops? I have a probe that I suspend to plant height. At plant top, that would be barely within acceptable - if that is room temps and plant top temps are higher, Id point to that as a an issue.

In my system, I tried using a CO2 burner but it caused way too much heat (as much as a 1000w light) so I went back to bottled.

You sound knowledgeable so I assume you have checked the obvious - Ph etc? CO2 lowers Ph levels.

Best of luck

Doco

R

Rolln J

I water my hydroton every 3 hours once the roots are established - so without pics offhand Id say underwatered...

that and you went from 4 x down to 3 x.

D

doco

thats a good point too - I may move to a 6x flood schedule myself

M

.MonsterRobot.

under watering...

it was under watering... I checked the plants right after they were fed and the lights came on and they perked right back up...
I am going to increase the flood cycles to 4x during lights on and go from there...
Thanks for the help!

MonsterRobot

H

Huge

i have the ebb & grow running all hydroton & i flood every 1.5 hours. i tried every 3 and bitches bout died.

D

doco

i have the ebb & grow running all hydroton & i flood every 1.5 hours. i tried every 3 and bitches bout died.

When you say all hydroton, do you actually mean no rapid rooters or rockwool cubes? I start off my clones or seedlings in rapid rooters, placed in 3" rockwool cubes once theyve rooted, and then into the hydroton. That retains more moisture I suppose than straight rocks.

H

Huge

Yes sir 100% hydroton. I go from ezclone to 6" cocobaskets filled with hydroton. These are in a table for veg. After 4 weeks I pick up the cocobasket with roots hanging down into the ebb& grow. I don't think that basket holds water any better than hydroton.

M

.MonsterRobot.

I think that going without rockwool or any kind of plug is kind of a pain in the ass... If you don't get the cubes set at just the right level they get wet and then you get algae and fungus gnats and it can cause way more problems... When you do get the cubes in the right spot so that they don't get wet you have to hand water them for the first few days which is also kind of a pain in the ass... I also put my rooted clones right into the hydroton and I think that that gives me the best results

Latest posts

Top Bottom