Ebb & Flo Hugo Block Question

• Thread starter TrichromeFan
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

I am setting up a 2x4 Botanicare ebb & flo tray, that I want to use the 6"(hugo) blocks in. How deep would you suggest for my fill height in the tray? I plan on getting some rooted clones, and planting them directly into the cubes. Thanks.

S

SRHninja

thats a good question ill be setting up my first ebb and flow flood and drain system soon...

L

LBZ Farmer

I was told the main thing was to make sure not to overwater when using rockwool... So Depth isn't as important as frequency. Not more than once per day for more than 10 minutes... I am giving up rockwool since my luck with it is so-so... I went with CocoNot in smart pots and found it very very difficult to overwater and they are way above what I was doing in Hugo Blocks... But some people have those blocks down to a science.

greenthumbdanny

greenthumbdanny

Premium Member
Supporter
I am setting up a 2x4 Botanicare ebb & flo tray, that I want to use the 6"(hugo) blocks in. How deep would you suggest for my fill height in the tray? I plan on getting some rooted clones, and planting them directly into the cubes. Thanks.

hey bud>>>>I would wait till roots are established and visually exposed threw the bottom of the hugo blocks before you incorporate them into your table>>>
The flood level has to be able to reach the roots.You want your flood level a lil under half the cube>>>about 2.5 inches or so>>>you cant rely on the cube wicking it up>>>>you dont want to flood to high or often as that would make the cube to wet.
You can always hand water from the top untill they are busting threw the bottom of the hugos or close to it>>>Thats how I do it.

Are you gonna put a coco matt in the table?

:passingjoint:
gtd

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

hey bud>>>>I would wait till roots are established and visually exposed threw the bottom of the hugo blocks before you incorporate them into your table>>>
The flood level has to be able to reach the roots.You want your flood level a lil under half the cube>>>about 2.5 inches or so>>>you cant rely on the cube wicking it up>>>>you dont want to flood to high or often as that would make the cube to wet.
You can always hand water from the top untill they are busting threw the bottom of the hugos or close to it>>>Thats how I do it.

Are you gonna put a coco matt in the table?

So, what you are saying is that flooding the table to the height of the hole inside it would be a little soggy on the cubes? I could hand water to get them started off, but my only fear would be them drying out, between waterings.
How long do you go with a newly rooted clone in a cube, between hand waterings?
I used to do things in the 90's with 4" tall cubes only. I had pretty good success, especially with the ebb, and flow table. That was a pre-made unit that had holders for 12 4" cubes.
I have never used the coco mat before, but I hear a lot of people on here talking about them. Is the purpose of the mat, for extra drainage?

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

I'm stoked. I got to transplant 6 clones today. Some Skunk#1's I picked up.
I am taking your advice, and hand watering until I get roots out the bottom of the cubes. It makes sense, not to keep them soggy.
I wonder if anybody uses a moisture meter to get their watering perfect with rockwool? I can't see why that wouldn't work with soilless media as well.

greenthumbdanny

greenthumbdanny

Premium Member
Supporter
Coco mats are good. I am strong believer in more roots equals more fruit:) not only does it give your roots something to anchor themselves to but the roots have plenty of space to grow and no chance of root bound or other problems>>>>they grow not only threw the hugos but threw out the mat.
You dont want soggy wet cubes>>At first the roots need to work a lil and not have nutes made so easily available, let it dry out a bit, and hand water till you can see the roots coming out the hugo's then go ahead and start your flood cycle's. A good top hand watering should last a good 2-3 days depending on your environment.
Moister meter not needed as you can just pick up the hugos and gauge how wet they are, Its very easy to tell by feel a wet, damp or dry cube>>but its your call on the meter.

gtd

~xO Kakalak Ox~

~xO Kakalak Ox~

Calyx Bros. Seed Co.
With 6x6 rockwool I only water every few days at first and then increase to once a day once the roots are established. I switch to twice a day when I start flowering and finish with three to four times a day depending on the size of plants. I would not use a coco mat until you are satisfied with placement as you can't move them once they have established but it is a definite plus. This will help prevent algae, fungus gnats, high humidity, and root rot.

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

greenthumbdanny - Thanks for the good info. I am totally with you on the fruits = the roots. I will have to check out the coco mat when I hit up the store next.
You were saying that I should be able to tell when to water by feeling the weight of the cube, should I let the blocks feel considerably lighter, before watering again?

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

~xO Kakalak Ox~ good info, on your watering cycles. Is your setup an ebb & flow? I didn't even think of the reduced algae, fungus, etc. from using the mats. Makes sense though. I will definitely have to remember to pick positions wisely before placing them on the mat for the duration.

greenthumbdanny

greenthumbdanny

Premium Member
Supporter
With 6x6 rockwool I only water every few days at first and then increase to once a day once the roots are established. I switch to twice a day when I start flowering and finish with three to four times a day depending on the size of plants. I would not use a coco mat until you are satisfied with placement as you can't move them once they have established but it is a definite plus. This will help prevent algae, fungus gnats, high humidity, and root rot.

Yep perty much how I do it Xo>>>And once the roots anchor into the coco mat you arent able to move the cubes:) The growth rate is insane once anchored:harvest:

Trich - you can tell/feel a considerable difference between a wet soaked cube and a dry one just by picking it up gauging weight and feel of the cube alone.

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

greenthumbdanny- Thanks for the helpful advice. :nod I waited until I could tell that the blocks were noticeably lighter before I hand watered the cubes. It was a little over 2 days since I watered last. I will post up some pics after they get going a bit.

P

Patcole

Better then coco mat

I have been growing with hugo blocks for some time now, and i have found that using sheaded foam (kinda like memory foam but not as dense) works great you cn move your pants at anytime, you can just add alittle more foam around them. the root go to town in the stuff, and best of all if you live my a big city look for a foam factory. you can buy the stuff for pennies, for 15 dollars i can fill 10 4x4 tables. rather then hydroton or a coco mat at 50 60 dollars a table.

Like i siad i have been using hugo blocks for a long time and found that 9-12 plants on a 4x4 table with foam and with a 1000 watt light in a magnum xxxL hood gets me 2lbs or just under depending on the strain of fruit i am growing. I veg for about 2 weeks from the time i put them in the hugo block tile i put them in flowering. so about 3- 4 weeks total prop/veg time. under either a VHO 8 lamb T-5 or a 600 mh. either work good.

I live in michigan were we are limited to 72 max plants if you are a cavergiver and a card holder your self. i run 4 1000 watt lights 2 and 2 on light movers over 4 4x4 tables with a work space in the middle. i Personally think C02 is a must. I have and am currently running a seperate room with out c02 5x12 room with 2 4x4 tables and a 600-1000-600 centerd over the table with 6inch out and 4inch intake fan, and am not getting nearly the fruit i am getting with my main room. (So if you are reading this get a co2 generator or burner they seem to be th emost cost effective means of co2 supplimentaion. (did i spell that right?). so back to my room. I harvest every 2 weeks. every two weeks i haarvest 9 plants and put 9 in. It is a good way to even out all the work load through the month. In doing this i harvest no less then a 1.5lb's of dried fruit every 2 weeks 2lb's being my optimum.

In terms of nuts i run Canna as my base nuts and i suppliment the canna boost for House and Garden budxl & the shooting powder. I still run boost but only for the first 3 weeks. i found it to actually give me more fruit then just the boost alone. See canna boost is more for increaseing buding sites and not weight. so you have more smaller buds the the budxl gives you. I also run a multi zym i have gown back and forth between canna zym hygrozym and multizym. I really dont mind which one i use it just comes down to what you can get and how much you want to spend.

well if any one wants to chat it up or got questions wants to see pics let me know i am new to posting on the sit been a reader for a long time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom