ebb & flow questions

• Thread starter gudkarma
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

gudkarma

i want to make a lid for my custom (concrete mixing tray) ebb & flow table that is similar to a lid in a dwc set up.

grow method : SOG

lid material : dense foam insulation that i will wrap in aluminum tape

the plan : 15 to 20 net pots with a rockwool cube inside covered by hydroton hanging through the lid

i think, a 3" net pot (with proper spacing) is sufficient to grow SOG style lollipops... and your thoughts?

maybe 5" pots?

should i use rockwool cubes & hydroton?
or just rockwool?
just hydroton?
or, my favorite, just neopreen (spl) collars

160 gph pump plenty good for a tray that has a 21 gal capacity?

i want to make three of these set ups.

...just looking for some clarity before i make the final purchases.

thanks so much.

opinions?
constructive criticism?
helpful ideas?

i included shots of my current SOG (soil & dwc) run for giggles.

Farmer 043
Farmer 041
Farmer 030
Farmer 031
Farmer 028
Farmer 021
Farmer 007
R

ReadySetGrowD9

Hey bro nice to see ur from the EC too...... your setup is looking great if you are goin to grow SOG style 3" net pots will be perfect with a couple inches between them.... i dont really like rockwool so i use just hydroton, most of the time rockwool has to be flushed and with the hydroton you can just rinse it till there is no more red in the water and ur done :)

hope this helps a lil
RSGD9

B

Bobby Smith

I'm not really sure why you're trying to make things (IMO) a little more complicated than they need to be.

If you're a DIY'er, you can build "legit" flood tables out of wood and pond liner that will be much better than any cheap plastic tub you're trying to make - remember, when that thing gets flooded it will be full of water - do you really want to chance some fllimsy plastic buckling and flooding your room?

I'd use hydroton, and I wouldn't use netpots (regular old plastic pots are just fine and protect the roots from light better than netpots - this is assuming you do a "real" E&F and not your bucket/lid idea thingy).

Just do 6" square pots, 4 to a square foot.

No need to reinvent the wheel - you're trying to turn the main advantage of E&F (simplicity and reliability) into a disadvantage - I wouldn't recommend that.

G

gudkarma

you guys are great!!!!

lol!
i dig you bobby smith (no homo).
you're obviously a smart guy with plenty of experience.

unlike many, i would never ask for advice & not follow what is a proven method.

i am a very confident DYIer... from rennovations to engine building. licensed & insured contractor as well.

and, i was talking with my buddy about building my own table to fit my space exactly (using liner and all that).

i just prefer the tubs since my time is limited, my wife has me rennovating our house, & my workload is plenty good.

the home depot units are thick & sturdy... and fit my odd space rather well.

too, i can run three tubs in my space & that shit will look pretty (form) & function great.

will do on your advice!! no bucket lid thingy :-)

i 100% appreciate your frank nature.

much appreciated.

B

Bobby Smith

you guys are great!!!!

lol!
i dig you bobby smith (no homo).
you're obviously a smart guy with plenty of experience.

unlike many, i would never ask for advice & not follow what is a proven method.

i am a very confident DYIer... from rennovations to engine building. licensed & insured contractor as well.

and, i was talking with my buddy about building my own table to fit my space exactly (using liner and all that).

i just prefer the tubs since my time is limited, my wife has me rennovating our house, & my workload is plenty good.

the home depot units are thick & sturdy... and fit my odd space rather well.

too, i can run three tubs in my space & that shit will look pretty (form) & function great.

will do on your advice!! no bucket lid thingy :-)

i 100% appreciate your frank nature.

much appreciated.

Thanks man, that's very nice of ya - I just try to help people not do all the stupid shit I've wasted time and money on.

Anyways, I'd still go with the custom table as opposed to those three tubs - you're gonna be able to run more plants because the perimeter inch or two of the tubs is wasted space with the curve, and even though the tubs "fit nicely" in there, I'm sure a custom table would be a tighter fit; add it up, and that's another 4-6 plants you could be fitting in there, resulting in anywhere from a 1-3 ounce decrement per harvest.

I'm all for shit looking clean as well, but not when it's costing me between $300-$1000 every two months.

Pretty ain't THAT important.

Just my $.02.

R

ReadySetGrowD9

Thanks man, that's very nice of ya - I just try to help people not do all the stupid shit I've wasted time and money on.

Anyways, I'd still go with the custom table as opposed to those three tubs - you're gonna be able to run more plants because the perimeter inch or two of the tubs is wasted space with the curve, and even though the tubs "fit nicely" in there, I'm sure a custom table would be a tighter fit; add it up, and that's another 4-6 plants you could be fitting in there, resulting in anywhere from a 1-3 ounce decrement per harvest.

I'm all for shit looking clean as well, but not when it's costing me between $300-$1000 every two months.

Pretty ain't THAT important.

Just my $.02.

I gotta say i completely agree with ya bobby.... If your goin to have 3 of those tubs in the same area your wasting alot of space bc of the side of the tubs and stuff..... i would say a table built to fit with a pool liner or something like that would be easier and more efficent then the tubs

G

gudkarma

i undertsand the efficiency argument.

as an experienced contractor, creative thinker, & savvy DIYer, i took into consideration the lips & edges... and agree there's "wasted space".

i am just trying to manage rennovating my home, running a small artisan style business in a shitty economy, working on installing a small block chevy in a euro car, cooking (wife burns water), surfing waves, and more.

given i have all the tools & knowledge, i could easily build custom tables... that looked sweet too.

it's just adds up to more work on my plate.

i don't want the grow space lumped into the "project" category. i like to keep it moving.

on this one, i am about saving time using something pre-made.

also, i am one dude growing more quality chronic (afghan kush, ak48, jackberry) than i could humanly smoke.

it's nice to flip some extra to my friends (at way below market value) to pay the electric & buy the stuff (including seeds) i need.

the tub volume = more than i already produce.

if i could get 20 plants in each tub (and i know i can do more) that's 60 plants... plus the 5 mothers i keep... plus my clones ...plus my spare tent... plus my 5 bucket dwc set up.

you guys make tons of sense & i dont want you to think it's all hot air.

i am listening. i am reading.

and, i plan to follow all your other excellent adivce :-)

H

hailo

mixing trays
2 bags hydroton(50L)
bottanicare ebb and flow bulkhead set
hoses
would go with 200 pump - a little bigger
and starter cubes no bigger - ive used 3in to preveg and didnt like the results

only thing i would add would be a 200(at least) pump for recirc

like BS said:
no lids
no pots
KISS
dont reinvent

B

Bobby Smith

I just noticed that you're on the east coast - not for anything, and I'd love to be able to "hook my boys" up at discount prices, but then they pretty much know that you're growing.............just saying - give them good prices, but not outrageous prices.

Hell, depending on where you are on the east coast I've got a 2x4 and a 4x4 Botanicare tray that you can pretty much just have.

EDIT: and about 100 gallons of hydroton as well

G

gudkarma

no...no.

my firends pay a fair rate (2 buddy's : each i've known for over 20 years & one of them does micro grows but for obvious reasons can't produce enough for his level of consumption : to be clear, i am almost 40).

i take the risk , i spend the time , i invest in my set up , i research & refine my method , i experiment , i do it all... by myself ...and NOBODY has ever seen my grow lab... not even Wifey.

but, i dont have the heart to charge these guys $100 to $125 per quater ounce (for what i think is B- grade) like these other dicks in my area (and if you do that, it's your biz not mine).

i don't "sell" light weight. i move "bulk" : QP at a time... only 2 QPs a month.

ever see that show "horders"? that's me with dank weed.

the price is fair... for good firends.

no delivery. no drama. always weighed.

even if they were to re-sell it, at my price they can make some $ too... which keeps everybody happy... and the squeaky wheel greased.

i never ask what they do with it cause i really dont care.

one QP a month per home boy... that's it.

if you run out, outta luck till next month.

no matter what, a good friend can always stop over & catch a fire.

Latest posts

Top Bottom