EC and Nutrients

• Thread starter michaazura
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

michaazura

Hello Everybody

I grow in soil and use House & Garden.

I bought Hanna EC/PH metter and I found that feed chart from H&G.

I found out that if I use the recommended amounts I do NOT reach to the EC level that they wrote.

My question is are those the MAX levels that I can reach without reaching over fertilization?

What is the MAX levels of EC for each week on the growth and the flower stages?

Can I fertilize until I get to the MAX levels of EC without Harm the plant?

Thank You

View attachment house-garden_soil_feed-chart.pdf
Funkstarfish

Funkstarfish

I would rather look at using the MIN amount of nutes and dial in your atmosphere. Why spend needless cash on extra nutes that just leach away??? you are in soil, so no need to go max feeds, rather find the point that makes your plants happiest, by gradually ramping up from say .8 EC.

Pay attention to relative humidity, minimum temps, airflow, and pH. the rest will sort itself out.

M

michaazura

OK

Ramping up to how much? My water is 0.5-0.6 EC and when I use the MAX nut reccomanded by H&G I go until 1.75, is it OK? Too moch? Too less?

Funkstarfish

Funkstarfish

wow, your water starts at .5ec?? I water with RO that starts at virtually zero EC and then add nutes to get to around .8 or so to start. I personally have not watered at 1.75 EC this run yet, and am having symptoms of too much N.

I also can NOT recall the last time using the max recommended dose form a nutrient bottle. Half to 3/4 of the dose is usually plenty. they are in the business of selling shit after all.

Do a bit of reading on this site... maybe search "feeding schedule" or something like that. Tons of good info on pH, EC, PPM, and how it all works into your grow. Also, test the water coming out of the pot. You are in soil. so in theory there is stuff in there leaching out....

Tossing more nutes at a plant does not make it grow faster. It has to be able to use those nutes too.

M

michaazura

wow, your water starts at .5ec?? I water with RO that starts at virtually zero EC and then add nutes to get to around .8 or so to start. I personally have not watered at 1.75 EC this run yet, and am having symptoms of too much N.

I also can NOT recall the last time using the max recommended dose form a nutrient bottle. Half to 3/4 of the dose is usually plenty. they are in the business of selling shit after all.

Do a bit of reading on this site... maybe search "feeding schedule" or something like that. Tons of good info on pH, EC, PPM, and how it all works into your grow. Also, test the water coming out of the pot. You are in soil. so in theory there is stuff in there leaching out....

Tossing more nutes at a plant does not make it grow faster. It has to be able to use those nutes too.

Is it better that you give water with less EC than more? Is there a difference between 1.75 to .8 if it still less than 2.2?

By the way when I say the max nutrition I mean the max that I can put and the plant will absorb. ..
One more thing you said "selling shit" - do you really think so? Do you recommend on a better company.

Thank you for your help

Funkstarfish

Funkstarfish

EC and PPM simply refer to concentration of elements in the solution... so a higher EC number means more nutrient. Plants can only use so much of this, and every situation is different. I could gift you cuts and in your room, they will require different conditions than in mine. Happy healthy plants need to feed more as they are growing more, so we aim for happy healthy plants. but food is not the only variable here. More important is the room. Get your temp stable and in the 70s, keep humidity around 40-60%, provide adequate light, and move the air. If you can do these things, your plants will ask for Higher feed rates, and you can provide that. if you cannot do these things there is no reason to feed too much.

I can tell you are somewhat new, so im answering more than i should. All this info is in a thousand grow diaries and such. Nute companies, all of them, are in the business of selling their nutes, so of course they tell you to use high doses. it is quite common knowledge that as you begin, as the plants require less food, as you learn to grow, never use full strength nutes. that info is everywhere. I'm surprised you have made it this far into growing and have not come across that. Look up something called KISS or lucas formula for soil. This will give you ideas of what mL per Liter or gallon of nutrient guys are using. read journals, often guys will tell you how many teaspoons per 5 gal or mL/L, or an EC level, or sometimes they ever break it down as ppm of each major and minor nutrient.

I simply add what i need to add in the way of supplements and such, then add enough base nutrient to get me to my desired EC level. I double check pH and EC after a good mix, then water that in. I'm using microbial life in my root zone ot make the most of my feeds, so i feed less in general. I feed just enough to get a bit of tip burn, then back off.

remember as the plants grow, you need to gradually feed more. but gradually. there is no magic, only happy or sad plants eating more or less.

Top Bottom