EC/PPM question

• Thread starter vonwolfen
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
vonwolfen

vonwolfen

I am in my 2nd week of flower and did a PPM, and EC check...My PPM is 1360, and my EC is 1.83(the conversion factor on my tester is .68)..The PPM is very high, but my EC seems good. I have calibrated the milwaukee tester before running any tests..My question is should I be happy with the EC or worried about the PPM?
I added a few gallons of RO water to bring them down, but in the future what would you suggest?

X

Xceptional

first the EC and ppm are reading the exact same thing so one cant be high and the other be low! that amount totally depends on what line of nutes, what are the room conditions, what is the grow medium and what the strain likes.

one guy may never break 1000 ppm from start to finish and another may go to 2000ppm it just all depends!

FYI running the whole H&G line (which sucked for me BTW) i never exceeded 2.0EC. i've seen Lucas ran and never break 1100 and have monster sized buds.

G

Gro

I am in my 2nd week of flower and did a PPM, and EC check...My PPM is 1360, and my EC is 1.83(the conversion factor on my tester is .68)..The PPM is very high, but my EC seems good. I have calibrated the milwaukee tester before running any tests..My question is should I be happy with the EC or worried about the PPM?
I added a few gallons of RO water to bring them down, but in the future what would you suggest?

an ec reading of 1.9 converts to 1330 ppm in the 700 scale(uk,ca,aust)but converts to only 950 ppm in the TDS(the 500 scale,U.S.A).

with an ec of 1.83 your solution(500/tds)should be 915ppm
bottom line is your fine.

greenthumbdanny

greenthumbdanny

Premium Member
Supporter
an ec reading of 1.9 converts to 1330 ppm in the 700 scale(uk,ca,aust)but converts to only 950 ppm in the TDS(the 500 scale,U.S.A).

with an ec of 1.83 your solution(500/tds)should be 915ppm
bottom line is your fine.

Well said:passingjoint:
Considerable difference in converting with .5 and .7 as the conversion #>>>>meters vary<<<< I like converting using .5>>>The hanna combo meter lets you convert using either or:)
gtd

X

Xceptional

yeah my bluelab reads all three at once. i just like to use the EC becasue you know if you picked up a line after following someones journal or getting some directions from someone online and they spoke in EC you can be sure it's consistent. this PPM reading stuff is garbage considering the different conversion rates i think it's just a waste of time.

I

Integra21

It realy depends on your setup and food as stated above. For comparison, I go by ppm and run my girls in dwc. If I get above 750ppm my girls start to burn. But when I ran soil, I ran at 1200ppms with the same food and had no issues.

vonwolfen

vonwolfen

Thanks for the replies. I have done the conversions with the very odd .68(closer to the eur./uk .7 then the US .5), and after 4 days the EC has is at 1.75. On my first run my PPM got up to 2100, and my girls started to show burn. I want to avoid that problem again. I am probably swinging in the opposite direction of under strength solution. Hopefully I can find a little balance.

greenthumbdanny

greenthumbdanny

Premium Member
Supporter
In the future bro mix your nutes less potent..
say you have a 100 gallon reservoir>>>>only make your nutrient solution for a 90 a gallon reservoir:)<<<<<

cheers
:passingjoint:

gtd

J

Jalisco Kid

It is just a number game. EC and ppm are the same, numbers flow the same. You just and 2 zeros to Ec then cut in half to get a ppm reading conv. .5. JK

PPM Coverstion chart
2broke2smoke

2broke2smoke

as long as u stay under 1400 on ur meter that is 2 ec u will be safe. It is when u go over the 2 ec that u need to start flushing cause u get to an over fed situation. Most meters are either.5 conversion that is a tds meter, or .7 which is the ppm meter. It sounds as if u have the better meter, the .7 conversion or ppm meter. I run at anywhere between 1200 and 1400 ppm and never have any problem with nutes.

2b2s

S

sfzoo

Quick bump/question.

I have a Hanna HI8913 GroChek meter. it came with calibrating solution. 3 of them. ph, ppm, and ms/cm which i take as EC?

i'm a bit confused when i hear talk of 'conversion factors'.. in the manual, it says to take the temp of the solution and then calibrate the meter with the associated ppm(ph/EC) value on the chart given. i read nothing of conversion factors or anything like that.

i'd appreciate some guidance, or a nudge in the right direction to finding help. thanks

S

saltr

Hey there, ms/cm is indeed EC. I have the HI9813 (pretty sure that's what you meant, don't think there is a "8913" GroCheck) as well and basically only care about the EC of my nutes. PPMs are estimated from the EC using a conversion factor (0.5 for Hanna; useful chart attached), and while temperature does affect EC readings, the slope of the EC v. temperature graph is pretty negligible for the substances we're feeding. I only calibrate in EC (and of course pH) because the PPM measurement is internally calculated from the EC. Let me know if you have any further questions.

The one thing I still wonder about is that when I calibrate my Hanna by PPM (for fun?) the EC is always pretty far out of check--further than any temperature conversion could account for. WTF mate?

forknowledge

forknowledge

yeah my bluelab reads all three at once. i just like to use the EC becasue you know if you picked up a line after following someones journal or getting some directions from someone online and they spoke in EC you can be sure it's consistent. this PPM reading stuff is garbage considering the different conversion rates i think it's just a waste of time.

My feelings exactly.

Latest posts

Top Bottom