ECIWO seed pheno relationships

• Thread starter drfarm
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

drfarm

Run across a very interesting article, that, too me at least, needs experiments and reliable grow out reporting.This applies to phenotypes, and 2 less obvious degrees, genotypes, especially with respect to hybrids, but even in inbred lines which lose their vigor, such as deep chunk, which is awesome in a cross, but less vigorous in itself. Hybrid vigor being what it is, this study is called ECIWO (embryo containing information of the whole organism) and is amazing ,if true, in how genetics pass on to a seed. Shandong University has a site devoted to this, but easier first to read this article:

They seem to have proven that where a seed is found on a plant governs the genetic elements in the seed.....so I think when I make seed in the future, I will keep location categories for the seed on a plant, grow from each area with tags and then finding my desirable phenotype, plant everything from that area to look for the best in that pheno.
A large cola could be divided into A upper, B middle, C lower parts; and the plant itself could be divided similarly, seed being labeled according to their location on the cola and/or plant.
So maybe this is just a way to complicate things, or maybe it is a way to increase the ratio of superplant phenos in a trial search. I dont know, but will be giving this a shot for myself.
ECIWO is google-able but some of that is a bit boring or unrelated. The tree org article is a nice place to start.
If anyone finds a drawing indicating how to subdivide the plant, please post this if you would. That is what I look for now. This should be really helpful if you just spend 5 notes for the White and plan to breed . :happy: Congrats to the brave fortunate winners here. Best to everyone Later

D

drfarm

OK, found this diagram at Shandong U. site

As I see it, if you found more heavier purpling at the plant top, you want seed from the upper part of a cola? In my experience an lst'd plant gives heavier colas from the branches on the top of the bottom 1/3 of the main stem and the top of the meristem itself...so...if I want heavier yield take seed from the top of the cola and the upper half of the bottom 1/3 of th colas? This is purely a guess, but maybe I can tag seeds from 5 parts of a cola equal to 5 parts on the mom. Just to see if there are pheno groups like they say. Its all just interesting Later

Breakdown
P

ProGroWannabe

Hey that's some serious info finding there drfarm!! Right on! I'm gonna try this also, but my results won't be in for a LONG time...lol...hazes.

D

drfarm

Come to think about it, if phenos do localize, it could be the most help in picking males. Just a thought . I have 20 3 or4 day old Indica/sat cross that I am hoping for something.Maybe can try it on the f2s there in a few months. Good luck on the Haze Pro. Are there pics on the farm?

P

ProGroWannabe

Well I'm a little late posting this to ya drfarm (I saw you already found my thread) but for anyone else it's in the Grow Diaries section, and is titled Insane in the Membrane.

T

ThcBuz

not tryin' to jack yer thread drfarm,but in a similar train of thought I've found referance to where you take a clone from a mother plant dictates to an extent what kind of clone your to expect.extra branchy from lower clones and tight chunky colas from upper clone cuts.
so your information may be valid and might give breeders a new technique for breeding.a few seedruns from known location seeds should give a fair idea of the concepts possibilities or not.

D

drfarm

Damn Buzz, You may have just solved my biggest cloning issue. The shandong site says that very thing also. I just didnt put it togather with MJ. Gonna get some pics during lights on that might support your idea. ( or probly, I'm just an effed up grower:unsure:) Welcome anytime and thanks for the input. Tomorrow bro.

Hey Pro, The project is very cool, I have a tub like that with strawberries (fruit) that may get redecorated now:cool: Haze gro link:

P

ProGroWannabe

Thanks bro! I'm patiently excited (if there is such an emotion...lol).

I'm anxious to see those pics of your cloning endeavors. I never thought of this AT ALL till you brought it up. What a great thread this is becoming!

Q

Quicksilver

Hmmm, not an intuitive concept to me. Then again, most things in nature end up being way more complex and multifaceted than one would tend to guess.

May have to rethink my habit of only dusting small buds on lower branches during my own breeding trials.
Thanks for providing the link. I look forward to input from folks with a stronger background than myself in both textbook and observational genetics.

D

drfarm

This picture is of two clones in flower currently. They are 2 of 8 clones that were taken all within minutes of one another, potted up togather from a mix in a 30 gallon tub of medium, watered and fed the same every time on the same schedule, and kept under the same mh and now hps lamp. When I took this foto, they were actually shoulder to shoulder, but do get shuffled sometimes and may have had more or less exposure to light/airflow depending , however I know they have both been all over the place and should have not been much differently placed in general. The rest of the clones are somewhere between these two, so they represent the extremes.
Maybe Im just an effed up grower, as I said, but they should all be equally effed, right? So they look like different phenos, almost different strains. Unfortunately, I have no idea where what was on the mum, but seems to support THCBuzz idea that clone quality depends where it came from on the plant.

Thanks Pro, it is interesting, just I have no records to show anything. It will take "patient excitement" to figure it out.
Would be nice to prove that a seed from right there is the best the mother can offer, or a cutting right here will be the most vigorous mom. Thanks for the support but its the chinese had the idea, I dont gt credit for any more than talking just yet:huh:
So I dont have much to offer but these pics at the moment. The budshot is the original clone mom, shes at 53 day now, I guess...Young ones at 30 days or so

PPP 80908 008
PPP 80908 003
D

drfarm

They even have different tolerance to nute burn from some grower that probably just drew these pics or found em. lol

Top Bottom