Ecuador landrace

• Thread starter kagyu
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
kagyu

kagyu

Ecuador landrace Ecuador landrace 2 This is more of our South American landrace work we are doing. This is our first year working on this jewel. There is not much information as yet but hope to find out more. It is very mold resistant. As far a maturity, we shall see as the season progresses. Again there were so few seed we had to work with.

E

E.T.

What a unique plant. Look forward to seeing more of her later in the season. Any idea of finishing times?

kagyu

kagyu

Not sure on the finish. I would assume it may be like some of the other highland columbians.... Longer?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
View attachment 420576 View attachment 420577 This is more of our South American landrace work we are doing. This is our first year working on this jewel. There is not much information as yet but hope to find out more. It is very mold resistant. As far a maturity, we shall see as the season progresses. Again there were so few seed we had to work with.
Are you going to continue breeding, as a landrace, in order to increase seed stocks? :)

marz

marz

Beautiful.. did you collect seed of this yourself?
I've another question, how long does a plant have to have been growing wild for it to be considered a landrace..cannabis isn't from ecuador naturally, how long has it been there for??

kagyu

kagyu

It was collected from my buddy's friend who lives in South America. He obtained them from the native growers themselves.
I guess it is a matter of opinion how long it takes to be landrace. Some of the Columbians I have, have been grown for 4-5 generations that I know of. These Ecuador genetics I am not sure. I suspect for a very long time.

zeke

zeke

Nice. When and where is your seed available. Seems like you have lots of mythological ganja. Sure would be nice to have a few of these rare gems.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
It was collected from my buddy's friend who lives in South America. He obtained them from the native growers themselves.
I guess it is a matter of opinion how long it takes to be landrace. Some of the Columbians I have, have been grown for 4-5 generations that I know of. These Ecuador genetics I am not sure. I suspect for a very long time.
http://b4fa.org/biosciences-and-agriculture/plantbreeding/cultivars-clones-landraces/

My take on landrace is that it is adapted to local conditions and breeds true.

Supercharge

Supercharge

http://b4fa.org/biosciences-and-agriculture/plantbreeding/cultivars-clones-landraces/

My take on landrace is that it is adapted to local conditions and breeds true.

Good link Seamaiden.

With the definition provided by in it mind, there could be countless landraces in any given region then. Climate is obviously highly variable depending on altitude, proximity to the ocean, and so on, so local conditions would vary accordingly. If this idea is accepted, then having an "Ecuador" landrace is almost meaningless, as there would be several distinct climates within Ecuador. Would you agree or disagree?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I agree and those microclimates and variabilities in 'terroir' are what make the whole idea exciting! Think about it in terms of species and subspecies, and how heirloom varieties of other plant stuffs are developed. That wouldn't make the term 'landrace' meaningless, it would simply need a bit more refinement, such as... Lago Claro Ecuadoran landrace (I just made Lago Claro up to illustrate the idea), which would speak to that area, just like Burgundy describes a particular wine *and* the region in France where it was developed.

Make sense?

Latest posts

Top Bottom