Effect of Latitude on Flowering

• Thread starter dorjewright
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
dorjewright

dorjewright

If a strain finishes end of September in southern Canada will it finish earlier or later in Northern Ca.?

Brain

Brain

Canadian OD strains are typically fast to finish as well and early to trigger flowering because they lose daylight faster and the season is shorter up there. My guess is it would finish later here in Ncal because it will trigger later in the year when it hits it's critical night time hours. I don't see many canadian genetics being used outdoors around here. My guess as to why that is a) our longer season is best taken advantage of for increased yields, b) the quality of a smaller genepool of what works up there doesn't stand up to the larger genepool available to grow from down here. Not to say there aren't exceptions to this.

cannabeans

cannabeans

In the north, during the summer, the daylight hours are much longer.(Think Alaska)The sun doesnt set until 9:30 ish and it comes up quite early too. Where Im at, what I noticed is that my plants took much longer to trigger in comparison to the people in Cali Or the folks on the east coast. So my opinion would be that they would finish earlier, But I could be wrong.

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

So for us to finish earlier what latitude should we look for or is it that easy?

symbiote420

symbiote420

My experience is the same as SeaMaiden's, I finish a few weeks behind my peeps just south of the MI border. One of my ways to shorten flowering times outdoors here is to plant clone plants instead of seed plants, My clones have finished faster than their moms by atleast two weeks outdoors!

(ex. My LA Con and Sym's Sour finished from seed around late Sept/early Oct (LA), mid/late Oct (SS), the LA clones finished early/mid Sept and the SS clones finished end Sept/early Oct .....I grew those two strains outdoors from '08 - '11 and that's what I've observed!

K

kolah

in red. :cigar:

My experience is the same as SeaMaiden's, I finish a few weeks behind my peeps just south of the MI border. One of my ways to shorten flowering times outdoors here is to plant clone plants instead of seed plants, My clones have finished faster than their moms by atleast two weeks outdoors!

(ex. My LA Con and Sym's Sour finished from seed around late Sept/early Oct (LA), mid/late Oct (SS), the LA clones finished early/mid Sept and the SS clones finished end Sept/early Oct .....I grew those two strains outdoors from '08 - '11 and that's what I've observed!

cannabeans

cannabeans

In ever really thought of this.....great point

Top Bottom