ehole makes the "below current"

• Thread starter ehole
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

brookstown

His system is technically still a Recirculating Deep water Culture, just the circuit is smaller. But I understand what he's sayin.

E

easypleasie

Hey ehole, love your diy work!

I have some questions about your 8" air stones and the pump you're using. Do you think the air pump you're using is strong enough for the 5 big air stones? Or would you suggest a bigger air pump? Also, how did you connect all of them together? I've been looking for an air manifold with 3/8" connections but haven't found one. My current build uses 5 of those big ass air stones and a pump pushing the same cfm.

thanks bro!

E

ehole

square pusher... yeah if i do get clogs it will be due to my hole location. i find nutrients fall out not up so keep the circulation down there seemed right, plus my "below current" it obviously an under current knockoff and that's how they did it. i cut the holes with a 2 3/8 holesaw, and i glued the adapters on and the male end goes in first and the female screws on to it from the inside. if i find that i EVER get a clog i can add a 1 inch version of the pvc and adapters at the max high water line in less than 15 minutes, trust me 1 spill is enough.

thanks for the kinds words easy! i find my pump is adequate but i would not go any smaller. i actually think some of the bigger stones come with flow ratings and i'm not sure if it's a min. or max or optimum, but mine say 20/l per hour and at most i'm giving them 17.6 litre per hour. and like you i could find a 3/8 gang valve for shite and since the pump and stones were the same size i just went to home dePot and got six 3/8 t barbs and made a circle with the tubing, one to the pump the other 5 to the stones. it damn near looks like an octopus or something like that.

E

easypleasie

Thanks for the reply, bro. I looked all over for a flow rating for my air stones but couldn't find any. I'm pretty sure I have the same ones as you. Did you find the rating on a website or is it printed somewhere on your box/air stone? Maybe i'm just not looking hard enough lol. Guess there's only one way to find out if my pump will work...time to make a manifold :) My air pump outlet is 5/8 and I don't wanna reduce the hose size to make it work. It might run a bit hot that way. Are there any companies that make 3/8" manifolds? Gotta be someone! Shouldn't be this hard lol

S

sickboy

you could have just installed a one way check valve in the air line. I know its kind of in the name, but it does just that. It only allows air to travel through it one way, and not the other. I think they usually cost about a dollar and you can find them just about anywhere they sell fish tank accesories. I use 1 pump for two 75 gallon resevoirs (one line branches to two, and each of them branch into three) and I use just use one between the pump and the first split in my line. I keep my pump on the floor between the resevoirs and I've unplugged it several times with no problems.
Just two cents.

C

coyoteattack

great thread man, this is exactly what i've been looking for

F

fido

updates please!
great thread.

hope u are safe bro.
u mentioned raids and legal problems so
i'm hoping that u are well and happy.
oh and safe.
fido from philly

H

heretouc

I will try to be brief.. lol..

One MAJOR thing that dd's system had over mine is that each bucket it individually filled and drained if that makes sense. One bucket is not dependant on another bucket functioning with dd's where with rcdwc the nutes flow from one bucket to the next. If one bucket fucks up, they every bucket after that is fucked up. Not with dd's system. Also a big thing about dd's system is airation.

If you look at my MPB thread as opposed to my Tub girls thread, you will see that each tub has 2 waterfalls from the drain tubing into the drain, then the drain waterfalls into the res and right back to either the chiller or to the plants. Both systems use airstones, so thats not an issue..

DD's system is modular.. That alone is huge. its not a pain in the ass to hook up a few more tubs if you have the light. Its easy to clean..

The bottom line is refinement and ingenuity.

Both will yield. DD's for the effort will yield more. :anim_19:

Can you please provide a link to DD's thread or info on her/his setup vs UC (rcdwc)? I'm brand new to these methods and I'm quite lost with all the acronyms you folks use sans links to explanations of what they mean ... :dizzy:

H

heretouc

yes, DD has central reservoir, but I think he was referring to flooding issues with water spilling. DD has a check valve on the feed line, so if something went wrong the buckets would still hold like 8 gallons of water each and basically turn into DWC.

Can you elaborate on this check value setup?

Top Bottom