elecricians please read....help

• Thread starter ebbensmoke
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ebbensmoke

ebbensmoke

does anyone know how to use a clamp meter? I borrowed one so I could see how much of my 100 amp service is being used. I would need a meter that reads DC AMPs correct? The one I borrowed only only ac amps and my readings seem off.

Sorry for the rookie question, but i know nothing about current, or anything electrical. I am trying to see if I need to get some 220 plugs or an upgrade. Ive read a line splitter is needed for a single cord (like a ballast) but im more interested in the total house box usage.

thanks for your time....

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

does anyone know how to use a clamp meter? I borrowed one so I could see how much of my 100 amp service is being used. I would need a meter that reads DC AMPs correct? The one I borrowed only only ac amps and my readings seem off.

Sorry for the rookie question, but i know nothing about current, or anything electrical. I am trying to see if I need to get some 220 plugs or an upgrade. Ive read a line splitter is needed for a single cord (like a ballast) but im more interested in the total house box usage.

thanks for your time....

Nope. You have ac power not dc. Make sure clamps closes fully and properly. Why do ur readings seem off?

Red Reign

Red Reign

You have the right meter. It is real easy to use.

Turn on everything in the house that will normally be on. Take the front cover off your panel. You'll see a wire connected to each breaker. Open the clamp meter and put each wire inside of it, 1 at a time. Write down the amount of amps going through each wire. Add them all up and you'll have total amps being used.

MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHAT NOT TO TOUCH WHEN THE FRONT COVER IS OFF, SO YOU DON'T GET SHOCKED/ELECTROCUTED.

Top Bottom