Electric Advice Please.

• Thread starter Randyb
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

Randyb

I want to run my garden lights using ballast that are placed outside of the garden to deduce in garden heat. They will be about 20 foot , maybe 25 from the hoods .

What do you think would be the best way to accomplish this seeing the hood cords that plug into the ballast are 12-15 foot in length and are hardwired into the hoods..

I think my problem will be trying to strike the bulb at such a distance from the ballast. Panel to ballast, no problem. Ballast to hood??? not sure how to fix this. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated

Mr.GoodCat

Mr.GoodCat

15ft ballast entension cable will run you about 18 bucks

N

NorcalODB

If your running them at 240v then I don't think you'll have any power lose so I would go out and by some cord and either make a new cord and hard wire it into the hood your self or splice the cord to get the length you need. Splicing is easy but take your time and do it right, very important! Also, make sure you use the same AWG (size) and try to get a cord that is similar to the one you have. For 120v, I would do the same and at 25' I don't think you'll have any power lose either.

N

NorcalODB

or 15' ballast extension cable, didn't know they had those. problem solved ;0

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
25 feet is the max you can go without having to install inline ignitors

R

Randyb

Thanks for the info. I think I'll see what is involved in rewiring the hoods with a slightly heaver gage cable for safety and it is going to be run on 240 volt. If I can do 1 a day i'll be happy. Thanks for the advice.

S

smackramento916

Be carful I was rewiring mine before and almost blew out my breakers when I was finished...

Latest posts

Top Bottom