Electric-ballasts-timer question

• Thread starter GirlCarny
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

GirlCarny

Once again I come looking for help.

I presently have a dedicated 20amp circuit and 1 outlet for my 600w ballast.
Works perfectly, plug the timer into the outlet the ballast plugs into the timer and the lights work. I want to add another 600w ballast but cannot figure out how to get it to work safely without a fire hazard and without having a timer hard wired to the outlet. So here are the questions

Are there any plug in timers you would recommend for my 2 ballast?
Would a surge protector with 2 separate timers plugged into it work safely?
or outlet --> Timer -->surge protector--> ballasts plug into surge protector?

Im so lost when it comes to electric any help would be appreciated.
GC

edit: Fans - carbon filters - pumps are on a separate circuit.

Mr.GoodCat

Mr.GoodCat

Most timers are rated for 15-amps so you could run 2-600 off one timer. Just plug it in and rock and roll. Your 600 digis only run 5-amps each

JayBee

JayBee

International Toker
Supporter
I am not sure why uk has these but seems usa does not

I have also seen Lumatek ballast that is one unit that runs two 600 watt ballast.

Last thing is that what good cat said...

G

GirlCarny

Most timers are rated for 15-amps so you could run 2-600 off one timer. Just plug it in and rock and roll. Your 600 digis only run 5-amps each

HAHA Such a simple answer for something that has been bothering me for a couple of days.

Thanks Mr Cat Just one more question then. I was under the impression that they run more than 5 amps when starting up. Thats why I was unsure of the one timer thing. Is that true or not?

hiboy

hiboy

HAHA Such a simple answer for something that has been bothering me for a couple of days.

Thanks Mr Cat Just one more question then. I was under the impression that they run more than 5 amps when starting up. Thats why I was unsure of the one timer thing. Is that true or not?

Electric motors have a surge start up,,,,,,,,havent noticed ballasts having that
If you go the surge route...... make sure its made of metal and not one of them cheesy plastic kinds,,,,,,,,,,, i can already smell the sweet aroma of melted plastic from here.
Lots of ways to go about running your room, the above is the easiest.
h

Mr.GoodCat

Mr.GoodCat

ELectonic ballasts don't use as much energy as magnetic ballasts even upon start up. I have run 2-600 on a single timer myself with no problems but if you have other stuff that you want to run during lights on only IE Co2 generator, fans, etc. Perhaps 2-timers is best suited and sync them.

M

meercat.com

grasslin timers top rated over in uk german made of course lol

Top Bottom