Electric Questions, how many watts can I put on a 15 amp?

• Thread starter LegalGrow
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
LegalGrow

LegalGrow

This is how the panel board came out:

LegalGrow

LegalGrow

Running a 16 light flip box, makes it solo much easier and a lot less wires.
flip boxes look cool too. I was pondering those too, but I just have 1 room, so no real reason to flip ballasts, plus was worried about killing them early by never turning them off..

Delerium

Delerium

flip boxes look cool too. I was pondering those too, but I just have 1 room, so no real reason to flip ballasts, plus was worried about killing them early by never turning them off..
Garage conversion?
I think I seen the thread on the buildout.

LegalGrow

LegalGrow

yep, actually we have a huge shop that we built out some space. Eventually could have dual flower rooms, but will probably just get another power box..

reloader

reloader

Legal, yea you cant beat the pwrbox, it just does so much. Also if you have any ???, they have awesome tech support. Walked me through everything.
Here is one thing to consider. I don't know if you will run into this to.
I don't see a high temp shutoff on your board? When/if you get one, they plug into the trigger override outlet on the right side of box. All good, but here is the problem: The trigger outlet overrides the timer.
So if you have something plugged into the trigger that has current pwr running it will not let you timer work. I solved this by putting my hightemp shutoff on its own pwr strip, plug into a wall outlet through its own timer. I set it to come on 15 min after lights come on & turn off 15 min before lights go out, so the timer is always the exclusive device at the start & end of my 12 hour cycle.
The only other option is to open box (with tech support) and make changes inside, but then the trigger port always has to have 110v pwr going through it for box to work.

I like how clean your look is. I am going to put a board on my wall and clean everything up to. I run (2)1000's and (2) 600's & (1)400 in veg.
Temp2

Last edited:
LegalGrow

LegalGrow

Legal, yea you cant beat the pwrbox, it just does so much. Also if you have any ???, they have awesome tech support. Walked me through everything.
Here is one thing to consider. I don't know if you will run into this to.
I don't see a high temp shutoff on your board? When/if you get one, they plug into the trigger override outlet on the right side of box. All good, but here is the problem: The trigger outlet overrides the timer.
So if you have something plugged into the trigger that has current pwr running it will not let you timer work. I solved this by putting my hightemp shutoff on its own pwr strip, plug into a wall outlet through its own timer. I set it to come on 15 min after lights come on & turn off 15 min before lights go out, so the timer is always the exclusive device at the start & end of my 12 hour cycle.
The only other option is to open box (with tech support) and make changes inside, but then the trigger port always has to have 110v pwr going through it for box to work.

I like how clean your look is. I am going to put a board on my wall and clean everything up to. I run (2)1000's and (2) 600's & (1)400 in veg.
View attachment 380354

Now that box looks familiar! Sweet setup reloader. I wasn't planning on a temp shutoff, but maybe I need one...?

J

Jalisco Kid

Get your calculator out,then google OHM's Law. Play around with the numbers and you might get a feel for the coralation of numbers and what they mean. JK

LegalGrow

LegalGrow

Get your calculator out,then google OHM's Law. Play around with the numbers and you might get a feel for the coralation of numbers and what they mean. JK
I don't follow ya boss? Why am I checking numbers? My power box I think will handle all 10 lights with no problem at 4 amps each and 50 amp capacity..?

J

Jalisco Kid

you would understand electrical more and would not have to ask questions and maybe get a bad answer. Knowledge is good when it does not hurt. JK

Have you put an ampmeter on and took a reading? I have not ran digital's as I like mag ballasts. I would still GUESS that they are pulling close to 46-47A. Where is your 20% safety net.
Sorry to hear about where you live. They want to raise the DF to 40g personal while where I live you can not have any. It would be nice to go to the beach with some herb and no worries.

Last edited by a moderator:
LegalGrow

LegalGrow

you would understand electrical more and would not have to ask questions and maybe get a bad answer. Knowledge is good when it does not hurt. JK
I see. I haven't asked a question in a few weeks brother! :)

reloader

reloader

Now that box looks familiar! Sweet setup reloader. I wasn't planning on a temp shutoff, but maybe I need one...?
Yes. I didn't plan on one either, but it depends on how you cool your room. It only cost like $75 off E-bay, but you can set high temp. In my case I set shutoff at about 95F. means if inside grow room is over that box will shut down. it means for me a fan has failed. I would rater have box shut down then risk what could happen if no air is moving through a 1000 light hood.
I don't know what Jalisco kid is talking about anyway. The box is designed to run (10) 240v 1000w ballast. I just don't like how he said " you would understand more ask less questions". That's what this site is for, to discuss and share our ideas and designs.
Anyway, the box takes care of any problems. It has a microprocessor that will detect any irregularity in the current. Plus you have a built in 50 amp breaker.
Maybe he doesn't understand that, IDK.
Anyway looks good to me.

Last edited:
reloader

reloader

@reloader good idea, would be good to cool the room instead of risk fire.... Does it turn back on then when it cools down?
Yes , after 15 min if temps are down it will restart. I also have an alarm (T Sentry) that will go off as well.
Xza

Top Bottom