Electrical advice

• Thread starter fishwhistle
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
fishwhistle

fishwhistle

I am slowly building a new room and had an electrician over to give me an estimate and need some opinions on his price.The run from my panel to the new sub panel is approximately 210ft and to trench,install conduit and install wire and 100 amp subpanel he wants 3000.00$.Copper is crazy high right now and we need the big stuff because of the 210' run to avoid voltage drop im told.Can any electricians give me some input on this?

O

organicfreak

I get you might not feel comfortable doing the wiring,but imho its pretty fucking easy to get a shovel out dig trech 2' deep and stick the grey pvc used for electric..
now all he has to do is pull wire and hook up shouldnt be more then 1000$

o

hiboy

hiboy

Its a little more than just pulling wire, you have to tap into the main service and then install the sub panel. True its easy to dig a trench, i personally wouldnt try to dig a 210 footer with a shovel. Code is 18 inch depth for high voltage. What size wire did he suggest to install?
#4 wire is rated to 90 amps, but with that length you have to step up the size cause of voltage drop. #2 wire is rated to 125 amps. So knowing that your wire size is most likely #1 or 1/0. Pvc size should be minimum 1.5 inches. Call your local home depots since they are cheaper than most electrical supply stores for wire.
You will need a total of 4 wires, hot, hot, neutral, ground. Do the math and you will get an idea of material. Pvc is sold in 10 foot lengths so you will need 21 sticks, some turns, glue, pretty basic. Most likely he was going to install a pull section since the length is so long.
And dont forget the sub panel, might sound costly but actually it will run you under a 100 bucks with main breaker.
Heres the material list
4x210 feet wire
21x10 feet pvc with misc couplings, connectors. etc.
sub panel and main breaker in sub panell
ground rod and misc ground parts
breaker in main panel for sub panel

Hope this helps
hiboy

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

hiboy thanks!i already talked to one of my buds and he has a trencher he uses in his landscape business so im gonna trench and install pipe,wire,and buy subpanel myself and have him do the final hookup.Not sure the wire size he wants to use but ill find out,i know the wire is crazy expensive now.

Chronic Monster

Chronic Monster

:confused0054:
wow, I would like to upgrade but never would have imagined it would be so expensive.
Im going to pull a seat and try and learn a lil something.
good discusion :)

Asbestos4u

Asbestos4u

I am getting ready to do my own sup panle myself. The price the guy gave you does not sound to bad IMO. I found my self looking at the price or wire at home D and said fuck.

Depending on if your in a state with sales tax can add cupple hundered right there.

If your going to be using alot of power you need to go big. I am going to be using #1 copper wire for my 125 amp sub panle with 120 foot run.

S

smackramento916

Your definitely lookinin to spend around 3000 for sure... It is worth it though.

Top Bottom