electrical question? 4000 watt grow

• Thread starter lightning
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
L

lightning

i am renting a house to setup a 4000 watt flower chamber and ofcourse a mother veg tent also. i am having a 100 amp breaker panel with 20 breaker spaces installed in the garage{my house sits ontop of the garage so all the action is going on in the second level}. also i am having a 30 amp 240 volt dedicated circuit installed upstairs along with two 20 amp 120 volt dedicated circuits. i want to make sure i have enough and also what i am capable of setting up when i wish to expand the grow. any advise would be greatly appreciated

G

Greencandyman

It is simple. Just add up how much amperage you are going to load on the circuit-the amp rating is on each one of the lights. My 1000 watt light use about 8-9 amps each. Make sure you do not overload the circuit. You can easily run two on a 30amp circuit, which will still leave room for a pump or air pump. The in line fans use about 2-3 amps depending on size. You can easily add 1 with the lights. Just make sure that the circuit is not overloaded, that is the key. When large pumps, such as shaft drives come on, we are talking a 10 amp motor, for instance, you will have FLA or full load amperage-it can peak as much as 12-15 amps when running perfect. Have a motor on its last leg, and it could pull high amps before dying as much as 15-20 amps before it croaks. If you have loaded the circuit within 3 amps(lets say 27 amps on a 30 amp circuit) then you run the risk of tripping the circuit. Just make sure you add up all amps being used on each circuit, and once again, don't overload it. You don't want to be gone for a day and find your garden in the dark 1/2 way thru the light cycle. Hope this helps.

hiboy

hiboy

Run your lights on the 30 amp 240v line
and all your misc. equipment on the 120v
h

each 1000w at 240 should run around 4.5 amps. that would safely allow you to run 5 lights. I'd probably stagger the start up so you don't have them all starting at the same time. if i recall, i believe the lights require more amperage initially to strike the lamp. so in my setup, where i'm using 600's, half come on and then 4 or 5 min later the other half come on. building a 120v switch for the 240v feed is super easy :)

Top Bottom