Electrical question

• Thread starter miser66
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

miser66

So my breakers (I think there called) are 20 amps and I know I can run about 2000 watts on each one. Would itbe it safe to run 2000 watts in my room on 1 outlet on a power strip, then find an outlet to a different breaker and use an extension chord to run an additional 2000 watts off a power strip on that breaker. Is this safe is there a better way of doing it? thank you

M

Max Paynal

If your 20 amp breaker is 240v you can run 2000 watts but if it is only 120v your breaker will not be able to handle the load because each 1000 watt lamp pulls more than 10 amps at 120v. A power strip should work... just try not to trip on it.

Dr.stickerdick

Dr.stickerdick

miser66, you can use 2000 w on 20 Amps. {Max you got it wrong, sorry} most if not all power strips are 15 Amps- power strips are not equipt with over current protection. They are rated for safety up to 15 amps if both brass plugs go up and down then the equipment bonding {ground} conductor is below . Be safe and take care with electricity.

J

Jalisco Kid

You can run 2000w on 20 amps. But it will be on the ragged edge. JK

jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
both of my 1K ballast are rated at 9.5 amps at 120V so yes in theory you could run both on a single circuit but I personally would not. General rule of thumb is to run your breakers at 75% capacity for safety sake. When you consider pumps fans timers misters etc. it's a good idea to keep each 1K system on a seperate breaker.

jj

M

Max Paynal

Right.
The Lumatek digital 1000 watt will pull 8.42 amps at 120 volts. I was wrong, but it is pushing it; make sure that you have a decent 20 amp breaker.

Max

S

Silica

I wouldnt do it, especially with heat from the lights maybe heating up the cable/leads.
Aswell if you have a long extension lead you may get further amp increase with voltage drop.
Dont know if you checked what other room(s) are on that circuit but there may be other
rooms and power outlets running on that circuit aswell.
Personally i would run two more 20amp circuits especially for that purpose but i am an electrician.

Latest posts

Top Bottom