Electrical question

• Thread starter webstar5
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
webstar5

webstar5

I have a 30 amp timer pannel. I know a 1k is 4.5 amps at 220v and 9 amps at 120.

I want to know if it is safe to run 5k at 220v plus fans and humidifier on the same 30 amp board at 120v.

Thanks for your time!

S

SunFish

Web
i hate putting those type loads on the same circuit as my lights.
The inrush current from the starting motors is 6 times its running current or amps.
this can cause a flicker in old core and coils. The digitals ballast can adjust to the fluctuation in the line or ballasts incoming power. But i have seen a friends nextgen ballast flicker when his fractional horspower motor starts. Without throwing a bunch of
controllers at it i would advice not too. But as a farmer i know how things have to be.
So makesure your timer is properly wired, the timer needs 120 line voltage and a nuetral wire. the motors that most people use are 120 volt and only need a line wire and a white or nuetral wire. Though like the 220v ballast you will have a better ROI if you get a 220volt rated motor. But thats not gonna work for the humidifier
And your safety is in your hands. As long as the receptacle, the timer, and your wire are rated to carry the amps your good. 12 gauge is 20 amps max 10 gauge is 30 amps.
and if your sharing the nuetral its the weakest link since it carries the unbalanced current for both 120 volt feeder lines. So balancing the load on both 120v feeders is a good practice
The timer stats its ratings as load type. ballasts are inductive, and motors which are inductive at startup but turn to resistive while running. A incandescant light is a good example of resistive loads

hiboy

hiboy

Your ok to run your lights 220v 5000 watts on a 30 amp 2 pole breaker. You should have your 120v equipment- humidifier , pumps, and fans on a separate 15 or 20 amp single pole breaker. Do you have that option or do you have to run it all off a double pole 30 amp breaker located in the main panel.
hiboy

webstar5

webstar5

Thanks for the reply!

It would be nice to have them all on the board. Especially the fan for the cooling the lights which is on the 120 timed circuit. Other than that I might have one more 15 amp socket.

hiboy

hiboy

So when u have this board, is it similiar to an electrical panel with slots open for breakers. If so run 3 # 10 thhn wires (black, red, green)or 10-2 romex to your timer (hardwire type intermatic T 104) from a double pole 30 amp breaker, then to your ballast outlets. Then run 3 # 12 thhn wires ( black, white, green) or a 12-2 romex to your 120v outlets off a single pole 20 amp breaker. What size wire is feeding this panel and what size breaker.
hiboy

what is a timer board?

if you ran a neutral with your two hots, you could split one of them for your 120v (so 2 hots, neutral, and ground) equip., but in reality, you are pushing your luck as your ballasts at a minimum are pulling 22.5a. you can only safely access 24 of the 30 amps... 80% rule.

looks like you'll be needing to run a separate 120v line

webstar5

webstar5

Im not sure if it is 10 or 12. It doesn't say on the wire itself. Is there a way of determining that?

The breaker is two 30s attached to eachother.

hiboy

hiboy

30 amp breaker is most likely a #10 wire. That is what is suppose to be there. For the power u need you will have to install a new wire , that one is too small
hiboy

Top Bottom