Electrical Question

• Thread starter cheeseterd12345
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

cheeseterd12345

Hey guys, have an electrical question that I couldn't find the answer to using the search function. Hopefully it isn't too complicated and I was searching for the wrong words...

Here is the question/situation...

We have (1) Window air conditioner and (1) 8" Duct fan. Both run 115v and total below 15 amps. I would like to wire or purchase a product so that the duct fan will turn on automatically when the AC turns on and turn off automatically when the AC turns off.

I know co2 burners use "piggyback" cords to accomplish a similar function, but I think it is more like the monitor telling the burner to ignite instead of the burner turning on when the monitor turns on.

Is this making sense? Hopefully somebody will know the answer. If my description was confusing just let me know what information to post.

Thanks guys!

C

cheeseterd12345

I am using the built in thermostat for the window ac unit. I don't think I could use a timer for the duct fan because I would have to know EXACTLY when the ac unit is running.

Olyver

Olyver

The window AC unit has a contactor or heavy duty relay inside wired to the built in thermostat. If you can open the AC unit, you can wire the duct fan to a contactor or relay, and have the 120V coil for that relay/contactor wired to the power output from the AC contactor. Everytime the AC contactor turns on, it will trigger the coil on the duct fan relay/contactor. It would take a bit of wiring, but it's easilly doable.

Latest posts

Top Bottom