Electrical Question

• Thread starter webstar5
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Well i would assume you would hardwire it into a junction box BUT i recommend you post up in hiboys electrical thread in this forum and get a real electricians recomendation as i just play one on TV.

tattoojim

tattoojim

Unknown farmer
Supporter
047569062827lg.jpg
this ...roughly 35$

tattoojim

tattoojim

Unknown farmer
Supporter
btw..fishwistle is rite ;)...HIBOY.. grow room electrical thread

tattoojim

tattoojim

Unknown farmer
Supporter
im no sparky ,,but if it were me ..i wouldnt run more than those 2 80amp breakers in that 200 amp box...hold on a sec...math time lol..scratchs head

tattoojim

tattoojim

Unknown farmer
Supporter
32 x 3 amps= 96 amps...roughly this said .your 2 80 amp breakers underloaded
bare with me here im still tryn to learn electric for grow rooms :D ..
now that i did the math..i would pop in 2 single 20amp breakers for 110 stuff like fans ect ect

tattoojim

tattoojim

Unknown farmer
Supporter
yeah my bad i was using numbers from my ballasts...what kind of ballasts are you using..some vary a bit on amp load

webstar5

webstar5

They are 1000watt Hids. I was under the impression 1000 watts draws 9 amps @120v and 4.5 amps @ 240v

Pancho-N-Lefty

Pancho-N-Lefty

Like Jimbo said... Ballasts are different so be sure you read up on the kind you are going to use so your math is correct.;)

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Gonna need to figure out wire gauge from the breaker to the junction box,also you only want to run at only about 75% capacity for a nice safety factor.Have you considered running a flip box to save money/room on ballasts,wiring and light controllers?what ballasts are you running?id try to stick with solis tek or quantums with that many firing off at a time

webstar5

webstar5

yes but a good flip box is almost half the price of another set of ballasts. I figured it was worth the extra cash for piece of mind.

Im getting a decent deal on some A.C.E ballasts...

tattoojim

tattoojim

Unknown farmer
Supporter
i just peeped out ace,,, and they dont show a hps..just a ceramic metal halide

webstar5

webstar5

Their website is www.lighteners.com but its down right now. (not a good sign) My local hydro shop swears by them. Not a problem yet they say. They recently switched after having so many failed lumiteks and tricks with warranty.

Here's a link to a site selling them:

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Ive never even heard of them,32 ballasts is alot to roll the dice on,i would not use anything that hasnt got a great track record.Quantum and solis tek do and they are cheaper,solis tek also has soft start which lights a few ballasts at a time so that it is easier on your wiring and breakers.Buying 32 ballasts i would imagine you could get one hell of a deal on either,somewhere around the 200 range.
Best of luck,post up after your done.

webstar5

webstar5

I was sold on the Quantums but my local shop was saying they were coming back a lot as well. This digital ballast thing is a gamble...

Latest posts

Top Bottom