Electrical Service Upgrade-pg&e

• Thread starter LightDep530
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
L

LightDep530

Hey folks wondering if anyone could give me an opinion on this service upgrade. I have a competent electrician, he is a journeyman but said he cannot pull the permit for this service upgrade. I have a 100 amp panel that we are going to upgrade to a 150. We are pretty sure the drop wire from the pole won't do 200a. I am going to call pg&e and make sure it is good for 150.
Can I call them and have their guy pull the meter for us to do the change?
We were hoping to act like we are doing just what we are supposed to and not get any problem from pg&e. I don't have a lot of money and I can get this dude for a trade. We are doing everything by the codebook. New wire coming down into the meter main etc.
So the question is can we get away without a permit? Or can the homeowner pull the permit? The electrician thinks so.
Thanks everyone.

hiboy

hiboy

In my state of california, the service provider will do nothing unless a permit is pulled with the city. My first move would be to check the wire from the pole if its overhead fed. IF its large enough you'll most likely have to change the mast ( pole going thru roof) to 2" and bump up the wire size. You might have to also upgrade your grounding situation. Home owner can pull the permit. If your rookie fails inspection then you'll just have to correct the problem and recall for inspection. Its pretty easy.. good luck

L

LightDep530

Thanks ya I'm in cali as well. Its overhead, We are replacing the mast and the wire. I just called another half ass contractor friend and he said not to trip. We are kind of rural and he says the pg&e (Pacific gas and electric) does this all the time no problem. We are just going to check and make sure the drop(lateral) overhead wire is good for 150 and go for it. He did a job where they dropped power to a main hooked to a little shed at a dudes grow without permits. I'll let you know how it works out. Maybe we'll have the homeowner pull a permit.
My electrician isn't a rookie he is a licensed journeyman but he isn't an electrical contractor. Its kind of hard to resist just being a cash grow room electrician.

hiboy

hiboy

It might seem like a big deal changing a panel but its not really. Just make sure that you put the exisitng wires the same way they came out. Take a detailed picture or video. It helps later. Draw a diagram. I use to write on a wall to make sure its the same. Not sure the skill level of your buddy, but he'll be able to handle it.

L

LightDep530

Thanks Hiboy I appreciate your advice.
There is not many wires because its only a meter pan and main lug feeding a separate panel. We get to keep the existing 100amp panel and just ad a meter main distribution on the outside of the house, from there we will run the power to the greenhouse and dryshed.
I found a form online where a homeowner can sign his permission to the manager of a property to deal with the electric company so I guess I'll be able to pull the permit myself.
You know you just gotta keep that chill landlord happy, don't make him deal with redtape and BS.

Top Bottom