electrical set up

• Thread starter motownklown
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
W

weedfarm

To get more room in your panel.. more spaces for the 240v application.. you MIGHT be able to double up (two wires pigtailed to one breaker) one of your 15 or 20 amp breakers and then you can fit more stuff in.. just depends what your panels got in it. Normally or sometimes.. hard to word stuff with such an audience ready to critique or try to prove something..ok back to what i was saying.. Normally or sometimes outlets/ lights are on the same line..especially in the old days... and youll have 8-10 plugs on one line along with a few hundred watts of lighting.... if its overloaded after the double up the breaker will just trip if your over the max....but typically those eight outlets are used for tv, radio etc and your amps/watts are so minimal that it wont affect you if you put 16 on one.. half arent even used..grab a digital tester and see what your load is and you'll know where ur at.
and be careful of the neutral game.

I dont think I am trying to prove anything. Bad electrical advise can start fires, ruin expensive items, burn down houses, land people in jail after the fire department puts out the fire on 200 plants or just kill someone.

I have wired several grows, worked on alot of panels, sub panels etc so I feel confident on the advise I give. I also have a family member who is an electrician that I call if I ever feel out of my element.

Some of the advice I have seen here is just flat out wrong

As far as your advice on doubling up circuits onto one breaker, I am not sure. I really cant think of a safety issue. The worst case scenario is the breaker will trip before either circuit is really maxed out.

You know what, I am actually doing that now. My lights actually run off the same circuit as the dryer. Lights are wired to the dryer breaker. We dont run the dryer when lights are on

hiboy

hiboy

Are you meaning split breakers or quads, and u definitely want the common trip.. sending 120v to your 240v ballasts can definitely fry em..

U

Underground

Are you meaning split breakers or quads, and u definitely want the common trip.. sending 120v to your 240v ballasts can definitely fry em..
I've never seen that happen. And many old timers would switch 240v devices by using a single pole device and breaking one leg. It's not like it's a 3 phase motor you're only sending 2 phases to. There are many parking lot lights out there with only one leg switched.

He originally said both hots from ONE tandem which we agree wont give 240, then he had the brilliant idea of using TWO tandems.

One tandem would be installed on one leg, the other tandem on another leg and you WOULD get 240. But no common trip or handle tie. Not sure, but it may actually be a good idea if you used the inside breakers for 240V with a handle tie, and used the outside breakers for 120.
Oh, didn't see that part. Yeah you can get a breaker that is two tandems with the middle two tied together.

hiboy

hiboy

wasnt pointing at you weedfarm.
I have a little electrical knowledge,
hopefully i can help too. dont want to burnin down the house. the roof the roof the roof is on fire.
hopefully your dryer is 20 amp gas not electric.
you could be right underground about the dropped leg. Ive seen what u spoke of too. the single leg switched. dont like it but i do remember servicing them.

W

weedfarm

dryer is 30A electric, and I am running 4kw at 240V. Like I said, we dont run the dryer while lights are on.

Top Bottom