Empire Organics COCO?

• Thread starter Rootbound
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
Has anyone tried Empire Organics Coco coir or chips. They have both and claim the chips hold more moisture and require less watering. They also claim that the roots penetrate through the chips and not going around them. Due to shipping costs I can not get Bcuzz, or Canna,. Thanks RB:flower

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Lucky You have a resident Emprie Organics Guru (TK) on this site so hope he chimes in

I have used the Chips. They dont hold anywhere near the water as coir. Def have to water multi times daily. I never saw them grow into the chips but to tell you the truth I never reused my coco so at the end I would trash it so they might. Great stuff for drip and tables. If I was going to run coco again it would def be those chips.

One word of advice FLUSH that stuff alot!

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
The chips are great and their Coir is killer also. I don't even rinse it anymore, it was a waste of time and i did side by sides and saw no difference between the thourughly rinsed and right out of the bag.

The chips in full tilt flower need a few floods a day, because of the size of the chip your root mass is insane so it really drinks up. The chips are good for the last transplant before tossin into flower, it gives killer air o water mixtures and massive root growth.

The coir holds a pretty good amount of water and has some long fiber and smaller pith like material in it. This works good with smaller plants in veg usually in pots not larger than 5'5".

I do a mix of the as well ans scew the ratios one way or the other depending on what and where you are in the process..

Niether is very suitable for container growing and hand watering,IMO they almost need to be saturated more frequently to do well, especially in flower, they will eat ya up..

Their real fine pith or coir is good for seedlings and cuttings because it does hold alot of moisture and it helps limit the amount of ime you have to spend on them. The real fine stuff is not suitable for later veg and flower, i try and get more of a course mix as soon as possible so the roots have room to grow but you can rush it also and shoot yourself in the foot so kind of stagger it in.

The bales are 4cu.ft and usually wiegh right at 20lbs shipping wieght

Empire Organics is great stuff if ya can get it, there is a total shortage of it right now due to civil war i Sri Lanka. i know Empire hasn't shipped any to their distributors in a bit, i bought all that was in the region a few months back and am waiting for the next reup..

In the interim i have been using the new Organic Chips from Hydrofarm and love them, perfect mix of chip, long fiber, and coir. Perfect for veg and flower, not so much for seedlings and cuttings though. 2cu.ft a bale and cost $10bucks.

Tex

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
Thank you so much TK!!!!!!!!!! I am doing container grow with hand watering. 2-3 gallon container for flower. Do you believe them about the roots penetrating the chips or do the roots go around the chips? Do you flush them with plain ph water at any time? I also read your writup on Hygrozyme!! Do you still use it.? How much? Thanks so much TKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!! RB

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
I haven't really seen to much of the roots growin into the chip, I mean it does a little but not really..

Hygrozyme is a root and media cleasner for the most part and it is expensive so i usually us it at different intervals, usually in three spells, three weeks int veg, three weeks later, three weks into flower, three weeks late. 5-7ml per gallon

Tex

COCOLOCO

COCOLOCO

Empire Coco kicks ass! Their Coir is the best. Atami and Canna are garbage. Canna is clean but overpriced and holds too much moisture. EO takes the win all around IMO.

Also...
Mr.Chad (Empire Coco) is releasing a Pro Line this spring. Everything will be buffered and pre-innoculated with a biopack including Mycorrhizae and Trichoderma but no organic amedments like RO.. Should be KILLER !!

dirtyshawa

dirtyshawa

i've been running the coco peat blocks and perlite for 2 yrs. i had some issues at first(probably from the high salt level) but, i was a newb. i learned my lesson after my first run with coco. flush your coco no matter what. bought some clearex and switched to h&g and i haven't looked back since(thank God for drip clean).

so, i go to the dro store to pickup some more empire coco and what do you know, my guy says we stopped stocking empire. customers have been complaining of rocks and dirt in their coco, along with very high ppms. now. they stock botanicare and canna. it's crazy because, i really like empire. it was cheap and really goes a long way.

that pro line sounds very interesting. seems like their trying to compete with canna adding trichderma. i mix my coco with perlite and mycorrhizae(rooters) anyway, but, i'll give it a try if i can find it.

COCOLOCO

COCOLOCO

IDk about rocks and dirt? I do know EO is out of stock until the new line has dropped... Been out for a minute. I got on the call list.

A

antimatter

Empire Coco kicks ass! Their Coir is the best. Atami and Canna are garbage. Canna is clean but overpriced and holds too much moisture. EO takes the win all around IMO.

Also...
Mr.Chad (Empire Coco) is releasing a Pro Line this spring. Everything will be buffered and pre-innoculated with a biopack including Mycorrhizae and Trichoderma but no organic amedments like RO.. Should be KILLER !!

Im interested, you mentioned in jacks thread EO growing at the same rate as aero I assume that was the Organic Premium CoCo-Coir? or the chips?

Canna does hold water pretty but doesn't get soggy which is why I like it + its ready to go out of the bag.

COCOLOCO

COCOLOCO

Coir (coarse fiber) HG AquaFlakes, etc. If you like Canna EO has their CocoPeat in 3.8 cu ft Soft Bales for $25bucks which are RTG. It also has more fiber in it than Canna for better drainage.. Canna has great coco nutrients but are made for use with tap water and I run RO so HG works much better..

A

antimatter

Coir (coarse fiber) HG AquaFlakes, etc. If you like Canna EO has their CocoPeat in 3.8 cu ft Soft Bales for $25bucks which are RTG. It also has more fiber in it than Canna for better drainage.. Canna has great coco nutrients but are made for use with tap water and I run RO so HG works much better..

No concern about the price just looking for increased performance ive been using Canna Coco for quite awhile with no complaints.

Top Bottom