End Drug Testing - It's Illogical

• Thread starter indicabush
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
indicabush

indicabush

by David Downs

Every day, America seems to wake up a little bit more from the nightmare of pot prohibition. The New York Times now endorses legalization. The San Francisco Chronicle has finally come around on industrial hemp.

And employers need to stop screening for cannabis, the Washington Post’s Gina Tron argues Wednesday.

Getting employees’ bodily fluids has always been an invasion of privacy, and it doesn’t make workplaces safer or more effective.

... this testing is expensive and does not effectively screen for good employees. In fact, it probably doesn’t effectively screen for drug users. Yet companies continue to drug test potential employees, even in states where medical marijuana is legal.
Drug-Screening.jpg

The ACLU found in 1999 that such tests were expensive and a poor indicator of workplace performance. The most impairing drug out there is alcohol, which is not tested by employers. One 2012 study showed companies that drug test have lower productivity than ones that don’t.

2014 saw a rash of stories about how the biggest, most successful companies in the world — Silicon Valley tech giants — do not drug screen their six-figure coders. Even the director of the FBI complained in 2014 that the bureau could not hire the best programmers unless it waved the pot test.

And experts will tell you, cannabis byproducts can be detected in the body for six weeks, versus a couple days for cocaine or meth. “If a worker binged on cocaine or meth and took a drug test a few days later, he or she might pass more easily than somebody who smoked a joint a few weeks ago.”
“Screening for pot was never good policy for employers. Continuing to do so as medical marijuana became legal made even less sense. Now that recreational use becomes more acceptable under the law, it’s downright illogical.” Don't expect much fanfare when workplace drug testing ends, though. We know of a major Bay Area company that just recently, without any announcement, decided to stop drug testing its new employees. "It's stupid. We're done," said the HR manager.

ShroomKing

ShroomKing

Best of luck. Peace
Stop screening workers and watch workplace accidents increase.
Let's start screening welfare recipients as well.

S

sgbfcoop

In my non cannabis businesses I've always drug tested but ignored the thc line On applicants. No TWEAKERS please though .

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

I owned 2 companies and never drug tested even under pressure(alot) from my insurance companies.My thought has always been what you do on your own time is your business and what you do at work is mine,so dont do drugs or drink on my time and were good.Employers should judge people on performance at work and not personal choices away from work.

420circuit

420circuit

I remember what it was like, when piss testing became "normal". It started with the military around 1980, my enlisted friends told me about it, how the government basically owned anyone in the service, so they could require such a test. New employment screening was being required by the mid '80s, employers said they were forced to test in order to keep a cheaper rate for premiums. So it crept into common practice and the idea that it was an invasion of privacy didn't get talked about much.

It is an invasion of privacy. I have been tested many times in the past, part of my prior employment contracts, which compelled me to abstain for quite a few years. No more. I am making and taking cannabis oil now and if asked to piss test will simply say "no". Personal decision. If you want the job and are willing to play the game, you can either abstain or get synthetic urine, I am skeptical about the reliability of the flush drinks. I will never again submit to the humiliation of a piss test because it is none of their f'king business, my medical treatments are private and I choose who to share them with. If the job requires it then that isn't a place where I will work.:cool:
Abbie

indicabush

indicabush

Never had a flush drink work..synthetic urine was the way to go...drug testing is a violation of the 5th Amendment plain and simple.

Top Bottom