End Of 5th Week, Northern Lights, Sexting Question

• Thread starter Eastwind
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Eastwind

Eastwind

Im in my first grow of 12 plants of Northern Lights. A soil grow, at 74F & 56RH...using CFLs & LEDs. The plants are between 5 & 6 weeks old. I have looked at a lot of male/female & pre-flower pics trying to learn what to look for to separate the males. Can any growers see anything pre-flower in the node pics below to help me out....or is it still just to early?

End of 5th week northern lights sexting question
End of 5th week northern lights sexting question 2
RastaZombie

RastaZombie

Ever thought to possibly flip the light schedule for a day or 3 to determine said sex. Then decide what you want to do with your hopefuly ladies. Stay blessed.

Jeffino

Jeffino

No males detected yet but its abnormal that they would "drop their balls" in veg cycle, although it does happen. Only after a week of bloom cycle will you start to notice male characteristics. You can then separate them in a DIFFERENT building, if you want to play around with cross pollination and make some seeds!
There's also a wonderful product called Reverse, that can be applied to females that get accidentally pollinated. Kinda like the morning after pill lol. Good luck!

Eastwind

Eastwind

No males detected yet but its abnormal that they would "drop their balls" in veg cycle, although it does happen. Only after a week of bloom cycle will you start to notice male characteristics. You can then separate them in a DIFFERENT building, if you want to play around with cross pollination and make some seeds!
There's also a wonderful product called Reverse, that can be applied to females that get accidentally pollinated. Kinda like the morning after pill lol. Good luck!

Sending thanks to RastaZombie and Jeffino for your input. Your suggestions led me to more Google'd info on males and seeds. Have you found that the males tend to grow taller and show their sex a few weeks before females? If so I'll have time to move em out ( I only have one grow room). I may try the male in a long paper bag over a lower female flower branch thing to make some seeds and continue on.

Jeffino

Jeffino

Sending thanks to RastaZombie and Jeffino for your input. Your suggestions led me to more Google'd info on males and seeds. Have you found that the males tend to grow taller and show their sex a few weeks before females? If so I'll have time to move em out ( I only have one grow room). I may try the male in a long paper bag over a lower female flower branch thing to make some seeds and continue on.
Yes, males do typically stretch out and appear more "gangly". You'll have plenty of time to move them out in the first 10 days of bloom or so.

Eastwind

Eastwind

Yes, males do typically stretch out and appear more "gangly". You'll have plenty of time to move them out in the first 10 days of bloom or so.
Thanks..didn't want to mess this up by not paying attention.

G gnome

G gnome

Imo ur best bet is to grow em to the desired size and flip to 12/12. Then, cull the males as u find em. Its really that simple.

I dont recommend doin any breeding just yet. I wud say get ur feet wet just growin plants and learn the basics first especially since u only have one grow rm.
Plants look good so far. Nice.job and best o luck.

Eastwind

Eastwind

Imo ur best bet is to grow em to the desired size and flip to 12/12. Then, cull the males as u find em. Its really that simple.

I dont recommend doin any breeding just yet. I wud say get ur feet wet just growin plants and learn the basics first especially since u only have one grow rm.
Plants look good so far. Nice.job and best o luck.

Thanks G gnome...so flip based on plant size/height ? .... but age too right? I've read NLs are ok to flip after 6 weeks, but I wanted to get a bit more size out of them. I've topped & LST to get them wide...and now that the stems are hefty and strong, I'd like to go taller. My LED had only been on a week..and man, what a growth spurt...I know they can do more.. Here are a few pics of what they look like 2 days ago.

9 28 16 4 plants
9 28 16 Mars growth 3
N

Nog

You need a magnifying glass to look for the pre-flowers at the nodes about an inch down from the top.

Those plants are very small for six weeks thought; maybe not enough light.

Also the one on the left is yellowing; overwatering I think, in fact I think they all look a bit overwatered.

Top Bottom