Enrich outdoor soil

• Thread starter viking
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
V

viking

I´ve grown cannabis, outdoor and indoor, for several years in Norway (64° N). Autoflower-strains are the ones ones that get ripe here. I´ve used to carry the soil too the spots. That´s a lot of work, and a problem because I don´t get far away from the road. A problem because hiking is very popular in Norway (pics)...

I was wondering if it´s possible to enrich the natural soil instead of carrying soil to the different spots. The soil is acid in my area - norwegian spruce is growing everywhere. I believe the environment is similar with the north-Canada. Can I just add some lime and work hard with the natural soil?

This year I planted 1000 seeds and carried 10 000L of soil to a remote area, but they plants got destroyed by hikers or thieves. About 4kg of mid-grade marihuana or 1kg of good hash.

Enrich outdoor soil
Enrich outdoor soil 2
Enrich outdoor soil 3
Enrich outdoor soil 4
Enrich outdoor soil 5
Enrich outdoor soil 6
Plasma

Plasma

Wow, that's a lot of seeds and soil! I'm sure you could work the soil to make it good, but it would take a while. You would also need to bring are fertilizers to enrich it with.

geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
Bummer getting ripped-off like that--
you need yer own private land...

V

viking

IT SUCKS. 10 000L soil = 200 x 50L bags with soil x 500 meters hike up a steep mountainside = sweat and $3000 poorer

Thanks for fast reply.

I can´t own private land. Cannabis is still illegal in Norway. I´ve tried to hide the spots so good as I can, but I don´t get far away from the road when I have to carry all the soil.. I have to find a place where no one can go (cliff etc.), because people literally go hiking everywhere here in Norway, and most people have a outdated view on cannabis (they will call the cops or destroy them).

Ok, then I´ll give the natural soil a try next year. I have found a place where the nutrition levels in the natural soil (greenschist)
should be good. I´ll add some lime to raise the PH-level and a organic powder fertilizer. Does that sound good? Do you think the soil will be ready to next year?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I´ve grown cannabis, outdoor and indoor, for several years in Norway (64° N). Autoflower-strains are the ones ones that get ripe here. I´ve used to carry the soil too the spots. That´s a lot of work, and a problem because I don´t get far away from the road. A problem because hiking is very popular in Norway (pics)...

I was wondering if it´s possible to enrich the natural soil instead of carrying soil to the different spots. The soil is acid in my area - norwegian spruce is growing everywhere. I believe the environment is similar with the north-Canada. Can I just add some lime and work hard with the natural soil?

This year I planted 1000 seeds and carried 10 000L of soil to a remote area, but they plants got destroyed by hikers or thieves. About 4kg of mid-grade marihuana or 1kg of good hash.
Absolutely! But you want to know what you're starting with before you start throwing things into it. EG, let's use the term "lime" that you just used. What form of lime are we talking about here? I use gypsum because my local soil is a hard, heavy clay that is extremely low in Ca, let alone available Ca. Yet our water is very hard with carbonates, so for that reason I avoid dolomite lime, oyster shell and anything that's high in carbonates, just as an example.

Knowing what "weeds" and other plants in the area "like" will give you good clues to what's going on in the soil as well. Another example, I have lots of woody weeds, mostly thistles, again another indication that my soil is acidic and low in available Ca.

Did you know that you can use other plants to feed your plants? If nothing else, go weed whacking and pile it all up and start your compost pile over the winter, that will become good organic matter that you can spread around your plants next season.

Volcanic rock dusts are fantastic for providing a full compliment of minerals that plants need to grow, too.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Again, what form lime? There are many compounds that we commonly call 'lime' so knowing what form we're discussing is important. Gypsum can be referred to as lime, yet it's pH neutral.

Then there's the issue of the soil itself. Right now, rain ain't so much of a problem, acidic or not (mine tends to land around a pH of 6.5, pretty much as my RO/DI water comes out).

Then there's the issue of the water that's being used to irrigate. My plants are on 100% well water irrigation. My well water is very high in both general and carbonate hardness. It is known that carbonates can build up in soils and cause highly alkaline conditions, so adding more lime that's high in carbonates is adding to that problem, thus NO dolomite lime for me.

A

allorganic

Maybe think about taking a few samples from prospective sites and send them in by mail to a company like buildasoil.com. They will then let you know what ratios of nutrients you need to add. Rather than guessing. Samples usually run $60-100 here in the states. Small cost for good info. Commercialcultivator.com is another one to look at.

Top Bottom