Environmental Controls & Airflow Advice (Room Inside a Room)

• Thread starter Titikshu
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Titikshu

Titikshu

Hello Y'all, I'm hoping to get some advice regarding environmental control from some of you deep thinkers :o)

Room diagram attached.
Available space: 10x10, will likely go with a tent due to budget/time/wife/budget
Space Allocation: 4x4 flower, the rest of the 10x10 for veg/propagation/equipment (yes, this is opposite to most, but I focus more on veg and clones). This means I'll have a 4x4 flower tent inside the 10x10 veg tent.
Lights: a 1,000 watt HPS, a 1,000 watt MH, a 630 watt CMH, and a rack with LED and t5.

I'm using vapor pressure deficit figures as a guide rather than generic temp or humidity ranges...maybe that's wrong, but looking at VPD charts, I'm thinking 80-85 degrees and 60% humidity for flower @ 1500 PPM CO2 and for the veg room, I'm not that worried about CO2 so thinking more like 70-75 degrees and 70% humidity keeping CO2 around normal levels.

Problems: Budget and space. Not wanting 2 different CO2 setups, 2 different humidifiers/Air Conditioning units, heaters, etc...plus not having space if I did. Also, smell needs to be contained so I can't exhaust air into the basement space. Only out a window.

Although my flower space is small, I want to really dial in temp/humidity/CO2. Putting in A/C, humidifier, dehumidifier, etc. into the 4x4 space would take up all the room and most my equipment budget. Why hasn't anyone invented 1 device that ducts into or fits into a 4x4 tent that is a humidifier, dehumidifier, heater, & A/C all in one?

If possible, maybe a hybrid room that is semi-sealed, but exchanges air with adjacent spaces as needed. Maybe something like the flower space can exhaust air out through the window if humidity was low, passively pulling in more humid air from the veg space and have air pumped in through a pre-filter and fan from the basement space to lower humidity, passively pushing the higher humidity air into the veg space. Hot air would need to be sent out through the carbon filter exiting the house but that would mean the same exhaust would have to activate for low humidity or high temp which causes a problem as I can't find any kind of controller that allows that combination or a cord of some kind that would allow that either. Also, what about CO2 in the veg space? In this set up, it would only get CO2 rich air from the flower space when humidity was too high which is not likely in the winter (my last 12 plant grow in a 5x10 tent during winter couldn't get humidity above 40 and I dealt with PM issues (VPD too low...plants stressed).

Maybe there is equipment I can use to accomplish all this in such small spaces? Maybe I'm overthinking it...
Environmental controls  airflow advice room inside a room

sambapati

sambapati

Hello Y'all, I'm hoping to get some advice regarding environmental control from some of you deep thinkers :o)

Room diagram attached.
Available space: 10x10, will likely go with a tent due to budget/time/wife/budget
Space Allocation: 4x4 flower, the rest of the 10x10 for veg/propagation/equipment (yes, this is opposite to most, but I focus more on veg and clones). This means I'll have a 4x4 flower tent inside the 10x10 veg tent.
Lights: a 1,000 watt HPS, a 1,000 watt MH, a 630 watt CMH, and a rack with LED and t5.

I'm using vapor pressure deficit figures as a guide rather than generic temp or humidity ranges...maybe that's wrong, but looking at VPD charts, I'm thinking 80-85 degrees and 60% humidity for flower @ 1500 PPM CO2 and for the veg room, I'm not that worried about CO2 so thinking more like 70-75 degrees and 70% humidity keeping CO2 around normal levels.

Problems: Budget and space. Not wanting 2 different CO2 setups, 2 different humidifiers/Air Conditioning units, heaters, etc...plus not having space if I did. Also, smell needs to be contained so I can't exhaust air into the basement space. Only out a window.

Although my flower space is small, I want to really dial in temp/humidity/CO2. Putting in A/C, humidifier, dehumidifier, etc. into the 4x4 space would take up all the room and most my equipment budget. Why hasn't anyone invented 1 device that ducts into or fits into a 4x4 tent that is a humidifier, dehumidifier, heater, & A/C all in one?

If possible, maybe a hybrid room that is semi-sealed, but exchanges air with adjacent spaces as needed. Maybe something like the flower space can exhaust air out through the window if humidity was low, passively pulling in more humid air from the veg space and have air pumped in through a pre-filter and fan from the basement space to lower humidity, passively pushing the higher humidity air into the veg space. Hot air would need to be sent out through the carbon filter exiting the house but that would mean the same exhaust would have to activate for low humidity or high temp which causes a problem as I can't find any kind of controller that allows that combination or a cord of some kind that would allow that either. Also, what about CO2 in the veg space? In this set up, it would only get CO2 rich air from the flower space when humidity was too high which is not likely in the winter (my last 12 plant grow in a 5x10 tent during winter couldn't get humidity above 40 and I dealt with PM issues (VPD too low...plants stressed).

Maybe there is equipment I can use to accomplish all this in such small spaces? Maybe I'm overthinking it...
View attachment 1039266
Sounds like you haven't enough written build of materials; document everything and you can see if it is feasable. What other alternatives have you considered like atomizers/purifiers? How about growing Durban Poison which doesn't smell? I have 1 split unit AC going 24x7 and grow Thai basil and dill and other "cammo" plants because in a stealth only location. Best of luck and hope someone technical can help

Titikshu

Titikshu

Sounds like you haven't enough written build of materials; document everything and you can see if it is feasable. What other alternatives have you considered like atomizers/purifiers? How about growing Durban Poison which doesn't smell? I have 1 split unit AC going 24x7 and grow Thai basil and dill and other "cammo" plants because in a stealth only location. Best of luck and hope someone technical can help
Thanks. I currently have 20 different strains. Most are smaller mother plants, but the local market I cater to requires the dank stuff. In Michigan, most growers can legally grow 72 plants without permits or anything more than a handful of designated patients so super skunky strains win over incognito ones anytime. Smell is the least of my concerns. I mention it because I don't want any of the air venting into the basement or living space.

I'm more concerned with the hardware, equipment, and venting configuration to be able to control my environment as closest to perfection as possible while sealing as much as possible to keep out bugs and to warrant the use of CO2 supplementation.

sambapati

sambapati

Where are the experts in flow and room-in room. AFRAID to guess if there is real waterbuffalo zhit in the pile?
[/QUOTE]
20201007 142228

tealeaf402

tealeaf402

Room diagram attached.

View attachment 1039266
There are such inventions to control cool temps and hummidity for wine cellar builds, but they are very expensive from what I've looked at. Are we just missing this in our search for solutions? People would really would be a whole lot happier if they weren't constantly micro managing the atmosphere. Grows would finish on time.

Galvatron

Galvatron

Since you're an a budget, perhaps you can investigate/research a programmable logic controller? The Arduino has been around a long time and the multitude of sensors are abundant and cheap! There's a learning curve on using them but there are tons of resources. Today, a lot of the code is cut and paste.
A Raspberry Pi is small, cheep, and a complete computer!

Grapefruitroop

Grapefruitroop

OP what i would do is seal everything and put a co2 tank in the lung space to provide a 1000ppm to everyone....
VPD chart is effective...i flower always in high rh...no problems...even with thick canopy (if the genetic is with u)
I understand that you already have HIDs but if you go led, you will save money , and you will prolly eliminate the need of air conditioner....that saves money also....You could easily rig some led strips and voila.......
Why hasn't anyone invented 1 device that ducts into or fits into a 4x4 tent that is a humidifier, dehumidifier, heater, & A/C all in one?
With Leds you will prolly get away with a couple of small dehums....no heater no humidifier no ac...
good luck

H

High95

Typically you'd vent flower room into veg room then out. Veg plants are much more forgiving of higher temps and humidity. Those are very high temperature targets under HID in your flower room and somewhat low temps for veg. I would be worried about the quality of the flower with such high temps combined with IR radiation, CO2 or not, you risk volatizing terpines. Your plants will run higher than ambient using HID lighting, I don't let it get that warm under LED in flowering, whereas I typically run around 87F in veg and first 3 weeks of flower

Top Bottom