Epsom Salt And Egg Shell Instead Of Calmag?

• Thread starter Mepis
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

Mepis

Since I've started my adventure I see plenty of people talk about various calmag supplements but haven't heard a single person talk about egg shells or epsom salt. I use these in my garden. The tomatoes and peppers love them! I also give the flower beds out front a sprinkling every now and then since they leach the soil quickly.

What are some thoughts about this for cannabis?

william76

william76

Yea only thing with cal mag is haf the time the plant only needs the mag,epsom salts is ur friend! I use the epsom most feeds,and use the cal mag occasionaly(obviously not in the same feed as the epsom,i see a lot of newbs giving there plants doses of calmag wen all they needed was the mag, plenty threads on cal mag,76

M

Mepis

Is it possible to use to much epsom salt? Since I've started a couple months ago, I don't add it to the water. I add a sprinkle on the top of the soil like I do the rest of my plants.

The egg shells I don't worry about. Those I let dry out thoroughly and put them through a coffee bean grinder. I get a nice, chunky powder that way, and it makes it really easy to sprinkle on the soil once in a while.

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
oooo While your at it Scoop up a bag of Azomite if you don't already use it you should be! 67 Trace minerals that your plant fucking loves!

My garden this year because of that stuff is producing some of the biggest tomato plants ive ever seen... Celery that shits all over that stuff they put in a bag in the store...

yada yada ok you get the idea :D Azomite!!! 44 pound bag for like 45$ so close to a buck a pound.

Slow release fertilizer no risk of burning your plants :D

And start a worm farm! Worm castings are another awesome source for fertilizers :D

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Yea only thing with cal mag is haf the time the plant only needs the mag,epsom salts is ur friend! I use the epsom most feeds,and use the cal mag occasionaly(obviously not in the same feed as the epsom,i see a lot of newbs giving there plants doses of calmag wen all they needed was the mag, plenty threads on cal mag,76
That's not true, the plant also needs the S available in MgSO4. :)

And yes, there are plenty of threads on it!

Is it possible to use to much epsom salt? Since I've started a couple months ago, I don't add it to the water. I add a sprinkle on the top of the soil like I do the rest of my plants.

The egg shells I don't worry about. Those I let dry out thoroughly and put them through a coffee bean grinder. I get a nice, chunky powder that way, and it makes it really easy to sprinkle on the soil once in a while.
Yes, it is possible to use too much.
While your at it Scoop up a bag of Azomite if you don't already use it you should be! 67 Trace minerals that your plant fucking loves!
Consider switching to Sea-90. You get all the benefits in a soluble treatment that doesn't have the arsenic and aluminum that's present in Azomite. :)

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Consider switching to Sea-90. You get all the benefits in a soluble treatment that doesn't have the arsenic and aluminum that's present in Azomite. :)

The salt content in that would harm my worms :(

Smerb

Smerb

These so called calmag problems were not a problem a few years ago.... am I right, more people use COCO????? this medium has made people seek the calmag .....fuck??

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
oooo While your at it Scoop up a bag of Azomite if you don't already use it you should be! 67 Trace minerals that your plant fucking loves!

My garden this year because of that stuff is producing some of the biggest tomato plants ive ever seen... Celery that shits all over that stuff they put in a bag in the store...

yada yada ok you get the idea :D Azomite!!! 44 pound bag for like 45$ so close to a buck a pound.

Slow release fertilizer no risk of burning your plants :D

And start a worm farm! Worm castings are another awesome source for fertilizers :D
Azomite for the win. It takes a bit for it to become mineralized by the microherd but I have seen almost immediate effects with 1st season use. However, it just keeps getting better as grow seasons continue and you add each season!!! Nice recommendation @LittleDabbie

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
That's not true, the plant also needs the S available in MgSO4. :)

And yes, there are plenty of threads on it!

Yes, it is possible to use too much.

Now that is a tidbit of info I overlooked. Thx @Seamaiden on the arsenic and aluminum. Any links to how much of these compounds are in azomite?

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Now that is a tidbit of info I overlooked. Thx on the arsenic and aluminum. Any links to how much of these compounds are in azomite?

Alumina (Al2O3)* 11.43%

*The alumina is not biologically available. It is bound to the silica and is an aluminosilicate. Sand, clay, most rock deposits, and soil deposits are primarily aluminosilicates.

Home page...
http://www.azomiteinternational.com/

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Alumina (Al2O3)* 11.43%

*The alumina is not biologically available. It is bound to the silica and is an aluminosilicate. Sand, clay, most rock deposits, and soil deposits are primarily aluminosilicates.

Home page...
http://www.azomiteinternational.com/
So in essence if the alumina is bound it doesn't matter as the plant rhizosphere wont uptake it, am I correct???

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
With cannabis listed as an accumulator plant it could uptake anything. I think.....
Thats why I asked cause they use cannabis plants for phyto-remediation all over the world. Case in point is Chernobyl in Russia they planted a shit load of cannabis as it takes up the heavy metals in the contaminated soils from around the reactor site.

Smerb

Smerb

I always wonder if the sweat from my forehead, or any other foreign material would cause problems. I wouldn't go shitting in my soil yet though.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Someone just posted up stats on it in another group and IIRC there was mention that the amounts changed depending on the source material. Give me a few.
I got it from @LittleDabbie from the azomite web site analysis. Thx @Seamaiden I appreciate you and all the farmers here. Veritable cornucopia of knowledge. :)

Damn girl was just looking at the rest of year forecast and SoCal is not going to see any relief from the severe drought this summer. With El Nino gone and now with La Nina ramping up Ca is set for more of the same. I will do a rain dance in hopes you all get some sort of relief. To make matters worse the outlook is grim for winter rains and snowpack as well. When will it cycle around? Who knows. I am looking forward today to 112 and 10% Rh. Tried to get some early morning outside chores done and it is already 98. I shut it down and brought my azz to the house. :fire::fire::fire:

Top Bottom