Eriophyid Mites or "Hemp Russet Mites" in Colorado

• Thread starter DeezNugzz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

DeezNugzz

Is this a common problem in Colorado? Has anyone been able to overcome these in a medium to large scale grow? I guess you could call this a "poll" but I'm having a bit of trouble with these mites and I'm starting to get a little nervous. I'm getting mixed information in my own research. Some people saying its not a big deal and others saying its a DONE deal. Yikes. Just wondering if a lot of people are seeing them or know of folks who are...

H

hemployed

I know of many folks that have run into these critters. They made it into some gardens I occasionally visit. All I can say is they are devastating, and very difficult but not impossible to get rid of.

For the people I knew that had it, sterilizing rooms/equipment, cutting new moms and getting rid of every single plant was what did it. Wettable sulphur was used on the new clones and they have been gone for about 1.5 years.

I'd rather have any other pest. Without a doubt.

The obvious signs are upward leaf curl and the bronze tinge

picture.php
picture.php

D

DeezNugzz

Nice pics there. The bottom picture shows the "pollen" like appearance I've seen on the stem of that leaf. Then magnified you get that top picture. Looks like a bunch of maggots. Nasty business.

video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-9094074406377250841

Think they come in you're bags of coco? I think the potential is definitely there.

Bud Spleefman

Bud Spleefman

Premium Member
Supporter
DeezNugzz said:
Think they come in you're bags of coco? I think the potential is definitely there.

No, I don't think they come on the coco..... Most all coco comes from the same stretch of beach in Sri Lanka, not a lot of hemp gets produced there. I think they are a naturally occuring pest that is present in our environment. You still see ditch weed, aka Hemp, growing all along I-70 from here to Ohio.

You aren't the only person I've heard of who has these, I think the guy ended up using a systemic pesticide like Avid and got rid of them fairly easily. Of course he did it between crops, and treated every plant he had in veg, mothers, clones, etc...... everything.

Unfortunately because of the size of this pest, the systemic route may be the only way to get rid of them. Obviously you have NO DEAD PLANT MATERIAL LAYING ON THE FLOORS, IN THE CORNERS, etc... in the grow area. I am assuming you know about basic grow room hygine. If not, start now! The cleaner, the better, and the less places for bugs to hide.

Good luck with the problem, you will get them!

D

DeezNugzz

No, I don't think they come on the coco..... Most all coco comes from the same stretch of beach in Sri Lanka, not a lot of hemp gets produced there. I think they are a naturally occuring pest that is present in our environment. You still see ditch weed, aka Hemp, growing all along I-70 from here to Ohio.

You aren't the only person I've heard of who has these, I think the guy ended up using a systemic pesticide like Avid and got rid of them fairly easily. Of course he did it between crops, and treated every plant he had in veg, mothers, clones, etc...... everything.

Unfortunately because of the size of this pest, the systemic route may be the only way to get rid of them. Obviously you have NO DEAD PLANT MATERIAL LAYING ON THE FLOORS, IN THE CORNERS, etc... in the grow area. I am assuming you know about basic grow room hygine. If not, start now! The cleaner, the better, and the less places for bugs to hide.

Good luck with the problem, you will get them!
Just curious, Did you watch that video? The same mite is all over coconut trees India, Sri Lanka, and the Philippines, where 80% of coco fiber comes from. There are 200 species of eriophyid mites throughout the world. They all look almost the same. That's what made me think it's possible. I don't sterilize my coco. I'm using canna. I'll try the Avid. Haven't done that yet.

M

mikado

I got them off a ned grape ape cut last november. By the time i realized what was going on my crop was almost lost.

I used Avid at 2ml-3ml per gallon on my clones, cut everything and started over. YOU NEED TO JUST TAKE NEW CUTS AND START NEW MOMS! Just be sure to spray the moms a week or so before then dunk the cuts completely in Avid for a couple minutes.

good luck, i have friends that still have these things popping up time to time, but they never did a complete redo.

Bud Spleefman

Bud Spleefman

Premium Member
Supporter
I don't sterilize my coco. I'm using canna. I'll try the Avid. Haven't done that yet.

I didn't watch the vid, but THEY STERILIZE THE COCO, or we'd have a lot more bugs than Hemp Russet Mites. I use Canna too, with great success.

I have an issue with people who keep running around claiming the Cali people brought PM here, or root aphids come from Roots Organic Soil....

All those pests are here, always have been, always will be.... over 80% of this state is National Forest, plenty of mold and bugs in the forest already, nobody brought that shit from Cali, or Sri Lanka!

D

DeezNugzz

I didn't watch the vid, but THEY STERILIZE THE COCO, or we'd have a lot more bugs than Hemp Russet Mites. I use Canna too, with great success.

I have an issue with people who keep running around claiming the Cali people brought PM here, or root aphids come from Roots Organic Soil....

All those pests are here, always have been, always will be.... over 80% of this state is National Forest, plenty of mold and bugs in the forest already, nobody brought that shit from Cali, or Sri Lanka!

-i hear ya. Wouldn't matter if they came in on spacecraft. They're still killin' me. I MUST DEFEAT THEM. Nice sour d and headband by the way.

M

Mr Dank

canna coco comes moist in the bag, and certainly has brought critters in my grow as well as friends grows. I didn't have fungus gnats or spring tails till I bought a few bags of canna coco

now I buy only botanicare cocogrow since it's dry and compressed, and I doubt any alive bugs are in the brick.

My friend has been trying to give me his Hells Angels OG for over a year now, and he has complained about this "rust" problem. Now he knows its russet mites. I won't touch that cut till I know it's good and gone

M

maestro

Floramite on ya medz ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehh..........
uh MEH!

1, 2, 3, 4,5,6,7,8,9, 10 big mliky wax topped mikado rip....,3,2,1 :icon_dizzy:ok ok lord forgive them for they know not what they do......sigh....ha ha

Trip...I got a bug that loves my mistletoe vine looks just like them. I don't think these like hemp though. I hope not. I know I've fought them off these vines pretty well with neem because I was afraid of it infesting other shit. They are tough.

MEH

eyecandi

eyecandi

I've got em too, along with reds and browns. been switching up between a number of OMRI products, nothing kills em all except http://www.nospidermites.com/ I tried a sample last week and it instantly killed whatever area I sprayed it on, the eggs all turned brown within a couple days as well, so I think I found my new anti-mite formula.

I

ibTheMan

Sulfur Burns Kill them, one of the only things that does, at least thats what i was told.

altimood

altimood

I've got em too, along with reds and browns. been switching up between a number of OMRI products, nothing kills em all except http://www.nospidermites.com/ I tried a sample last week and it instantly killed whatever area I sprayed it on, the eggs all turned brown within a couple days as well, so I think I found my new anti-mite formula.
You're saying no spidermites for russets? Cuz if you are I'm trying it today. Got a bit of a situation myself...

eyecandi

eyecandi

You're saying no spidermites for russets? Cuz if you are I'm trying it today. Got a bit of a situation myself...

I'm not saying 100% sure, but the sample I used on 3 plants, it instantly killed anything moving and seemed to have smothered the eggs. I'm picking up a gallon ASAP, even if it doesn't affect the russets (which i dont see why it shouldn't) it certainly knocked the shit out of the 2 spotters, reds and browns (one cola was infested, so it turned into my test plant. covered in web and visible clusters of mites. one spray job and they died where they stood)

M

mikado

There is a liquid sulfur you can buy at the grow shops too. Not sure the brand but it was only like $11 bucks for the bottle. kills em too

eyecandi

eyecandi

FYI on sulfer burners: they will void the warranty on your equipment. the sulfer combines with water vapor and creates sulphuric acid, which will slowly eat away at your metal parts. MANY manufacturers are wising up (especially in states like CO) and testing 'failed/returned' products, if any residue is found, the warranty is null/void. and since the vapors go everywhere, this means everything from ballasts to heaters to A/C and everything in between. if you are using Digital Ballasts with built in cooling fans .... those fans are pulling the vapor across the circuit boards .... short life is the end result.

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
get rid of any leaf material, and any moms you may have take all the cuts you need and dip and treat them 1st. you will probably need like a 2 week down time or at least a separate place to keep your moms and new cuts while you clean out your grow room. i have never had russet mites but this technique will work with any pest as long as you do it right

M

mikado

if ya never had em then ya really dont know what works...do ya??? :fixed:

Top Bottom