Eriophyid Mites or "Hemp Russet Mites" in Colorado

• Thread starter DeezNugzz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
StrictlyOrganic

StrictlyOrganic

Banned
Seems like wettable sulfur is the best option I've tried for these russet mites...but definitely we have to keep on it--I like the wettable sulfur because I can mix up a slightly more concentrated mix than the pre-mixed Safer brand (and it's waaaay cheaper). But seems like the plants need to be sprayed every week to keep them back (and obviously the sulfur means no oil sprays during the same time). After week 3, ya can't really use any spray, especially not sulfur...but seems to work if I spray veg-week 3, then they don't come back noticeably during heavy flower. Pain in the ass...I'll give Mighty Wash a try and report back.o_O

Builtaforest

Builtaforest

These are real deal bad mfers

Take the threat seriously

Most bugs, pros can spot damage by offhand look, these require scope

fuzzy, tan, bronzed look to affected leaves, slight curl up and powdery velvet feel.

Buds become stunted, never develop correctly or mature

Seen start on bottoms but once started, seems to spread indiscrimately on plant, all is fair game for them.

Azamax/neem ineffective foliar & flush, floramite killed most left "movers" (they crawl around like maggots, but floramite leaves them wiggling with no travel), avid killed the rest of the movers 2 days later, and a final wash with might wash.

Liquid safer sulfur has been recommended as well, worked for morpho, seen it not work for others.

Also, for some reason these hemp russet mites are mistaken for signs of TMV sometimes...

rumored these are able to spread by seed, clone, medium, and even dried product!

I suspect these are naturally occurring pests in the Midwest. I never received an outside cut for the year leading up to my infection, as well as i got hit before i ever started using cannna coco at all either.

Best

Builtaforest

Builtaforest

And to echo what somebody else mentioned, give me a double dose of any other pest all day lol over these

Dorje

Dorje

Good to know you gave them to us...

No, I did not give you mites. But I knew what they were from the description of them you (or MikeB) gave me later on. I simply chose not to tell you. LOL. :p

I am curious how long it took you to figure it out though. :rolleyes:

Good to know you're going through every single thing I've ever posted...

Dorje

Dorje

Seems like wettable sulfur is the best option I've tried for these russet mites...but definitely we have to keep on it--I like the wettable sulfur because I can mix up a slightly more concentrated mix than the pre-mixed Safer brand (and it's waaaay cheaper). But seems like the plants need to be sprayed every week to keep them back (and obviously the sulfur means no oil sprays during the same time). After week 3, ya can't really use any spray, especially not sulfur...but seems to work if I spray veg-week 3, then they don't come back noticeably during heavy flower. Pain in the ass...I'll give Mighty Wash a try and report back.o_O

I know how to completely eradicate them. But I won't be posting it here. Sorry.

Builtaforest

Builtaforest

Sounds like you guys need to measure dicks in real life.

Could you tell us what hasn't worked dorje?

Dorje

Dorje

Sounds like you guys need to measure dicks in real life.

Could you tell us what hasn't worked dorje?

Sulfur isn't a great treatment. There are many other things that will temporarily keep them at bay that are less harmful. Sounds like Strictly hasn't figured it out yet... heck, he thought it was a fungus. Apparently $10 for a loupe was out of the question, lol.

And Strictly, your claim that I gave you russet mites is baseless and ridiculous. I am under no obligation to help you with your problems, and just because I knew you had them does not mean I was obligated to tell you what you had (or have, it seems). One of BMMDs owners described the problems they were having WELL AFTER they got rid of me, and that's the only reason I knew BMMD had or has Russet Mites.

If you do still have them Strictly, does that mean BMMD is selling MEDICAL marijuana that is contaminated with Russet Mites??? :)

T

triangle kush

avid at 2ml per gallon killed all of them. After you cut the flower plants DOSE EVERYTHING in veg with avid. They havent been back for almost a year and a half!

Good luck dudes...those things are a nightmare for people!

Dorje

Dorje

Be careful with Avid, it kills Russets but DOES NOT kill the eggs. Russets have a longer life cycle than Avid lasts, so in most cases they will be back. Also, Russets develop a resistance to Avid very, very quickly so please don't use it twice in a row or you'll be breeding Avid resistant super mites. Most of the time Avid will only knock them back for about 2 weeks. If Avid did work for you, consider yourself lucky.

StrictlyOrganic

StrictlyOrganic

Banned
Sulfur isn't a great treatment. There are many other things that will temporarily keep them at bay that are less harmful. Sounds like Strictly hasn't figured it out yet... heck, he thought it was a fungus. Apparently $10 for a loupe was out of the question, lol.

And Strictly, your claim that I gave you russet mites is baseless and ridiculous. I am under no obligation to help you with your problems, and just because I knew you had them does not mean I was obligated to tell you what you had (or have, it seems). One of BMMDs owners described the problems they were having WELL AFTER they got rid of me, and that's the only reason I knew BMMD had or has Russet Mites.

If you do still have them Strictly, does that mean BMMD is selling MEDICAL marijuana that is contaminated with Russet Mites??? :)

LOL, we can't measure dicks in real life since I'm a girl:p But...sorry, don't want to get the drama going here, just need to clarify: We're not growing "russet mite infested weed" at BMMD. We get our buds scoped and tested, and they're bug-free. You can check out an independently photographed up close pic of our 2nd place Colorado Cup winner, Green Crack in this month's April edition of the Rooster.

Dorje

Dorje

LOL, we can't measure dicks in real life since I'm a girl:p But...sorry, don't want to get the drama going here, just need to clarify: We're not growing "russet mite infested weed" at BMMD. We get our buds scoped and tested, and they're bug-free. You can check out an independently photographed up close pic of our 2nd place Colorado Cup winner, Green Crack in this month's April edition of the Rooster.

I'd expect no less considering I'm the one who designed and built your system and taught you how to use it.

You say you are not growing "russet mite infested weed", but you haven't answered the question: Do You Still Have Russet Mites? I'm guessing you came here on this thread to look for advise on handling them.

StrictlyOrganic

StrictlyOrganic

Banned
(sigh) do we really have to battle this out and waste everyone's time, Dorje? I guess you force me into it since you're trying to make a bad name for the peeps I work with...if it was just me, I wouldn't really care. So here goes: It's childish to think you can 100% eradicate all forms of bugs in a large warehouse, using purely organic methods. One can ALMOST eradicate bugs (we have no spider mites, for instance), but you have to continuously treat with preventatives. If you stop, the bugs will always return. You used Avid and Eagle 20 REGULARLY, which I don't feel comfortable with, especially when you're trying to pass your meds off as organic. Maybe there's a time for pulling out those big guns if you have a crazy infestation...but I've NEVER had a crazy infestation at the warehouse. I use wettable sulfur not JUST to kill russet mites, but as a preventative aid to keep the garden free of fungi (so there would never be a need for Eagle 20, or other harmful fungicides). Occasionally, I'll find russet mite damage on clones. But the ladies in flower get their sulfur treatments, and they get scoped weekly, and I've not seen any live russet mites on a flowering plant since I figured out what russet mites were.

Second, we're NOT using your system. When you left, I went to my own system, which has worked awesome. The warehouse bears very little resemblance to how you last saw it. Geeze, I don't even use any of the same nutrients that you did. So please, get over it. Your arrogance was exhausting when I worked with you, and it's exhausting now. I'm not saying you're a terrible grower, but you seeded a whole room, were difficult to work with, and misrepresented your experience level...and a whole lot of other things I don't want to publicly drag you through the mud for (unless you keep antagonizing me). So leave it be, Dorje, you supposedly Buddhist ass.

Unit541

Unit541

got these once about 5-6 years ago on my one and only coco run. After shotgunning every pesticide known to man at them, it ended up being CO2 that saved the crop. ran 8,000 - 10,000 ppm for a couple of hours every day for almost two weeks. Finished that run with less than optimal results, abandoned the coco and haven't had an issue since.

I grow in 100% diatomite now, and haven't had bug issues since making that switch. At least in my garden, I've had problems with leaf dwelling pests "hiding out" in media. With diatomite, there's nowhere to hide, and sooner or later I will find you and watch you die. If I ever do find russets again, I'm not going to waste any time messing with them, but rather chop, nuke the entire property, and pop some seeds. You can win the battle against these, but the cost of fighting is too high, and even if you win, the crop will never live up to it's potential.

P

PoopyCoopy

the easiest solution would be to start a new room and grow from seed, but this is a legal market where everyone grows Flo

StrictlyOrganic

StrictlyOrganic

Banned
Mighty wash is...stabilized frequency water? Even several informed grow shops didn't really know what it was, or how it worked...just that it does, in fact work. The website just says it's a "proprietary formula," and doesn't disclose ingredients. Does anyone know more about this?

StrictlyOrganic

StrictlyOrganic

Banned
it has a pyrethrin in it, what i dont know. It works as well as avid on spider mites. Not sure about russets.
I want to investigate further...could you tell me where you found the info about the pyrethrins? The peeps at the grow shop said they thought it was just charged water, but didn't know for sure...Thanks!

Tripsick

Tripsick

The reason people use Avid and Eagle 20 is becase it works. You can try all the other methods like everyone else and you will soon realize its impossible to get rid of PM and other critters without them. So many all natural remedies and high dollar snake oils that are only there to get your money or make your plants taste nasty. You really have 1 chance to win or you make it so bad i'm serious about burning it to the ground. Its funny how people refuse to use something that works.
Many Poisons and Carcinogens out there that come right off a plant or fungus. Just because its "natural" doesn't make it safe.. Organic is an awesome marketing tool.

Let us know when you find a fix.

Pyrethrins are botanical insecticides derived from chrysanthemum flowers most commonly found in Australia and Africa. They work by altering nerve function, which causes paralysis in target insect pests, eventually resulting in death.
Pyrethroids are synthetic chemical insecticides whose chemical structures are adapted from the chemical structures of the pyrethrins and act in a similar manner to pyrethrins. Pyrethroids are modified to increase their stability in sunlight.
Most pyrethrins and some pyrethroid products are formulated with synergists, such as piperonyl butoxide and MGK-264, to enhance the pesticidal properties of the product. These synergists have no pesticidal effects of their own but enhance the effectiveness of other chemicals.
    • Pyrethrins, a single pesticide active ingredient, contain six components that have insecticidal activity:
    • Pyrethroidsinclude:

• Allethrin stereoisomers, Bifenthrin, Beta-Cyfluthrin, Cyfluthrin, Cypermethrin, Cyphenothrin, Deltamethrin, Esfenvalerate, Fenpropathrin, Tau-Fluvalinate, Lambda-Cyhalothrin, Gamma Cyhalothrin, Imiprothrin, 1RS cis-Permethrin, Permethrin, Prallethrin, Resmethrin, Sumithrin (d-phenothrin), Tefluthrin, Tetramethrin, Tralomethrin, and Zeta-Cypermethrin
  • Synergistsinclude:

• MGK-264 and Piperonyl butoxide
  • Pyrethrins and pyrethroids are insecticides included in over 3,500 registered products, many of which are used widely in and around households, including on pets, in mosquito control, and in agriculture. The use of pyrethrins and pyrethroids has increased during the past decade with the declining use of organophosphate pesticides, which are more acutely toxic to birds and mammals than the pyrethroids. This change to less acutely toxic pesticides, while generally beneficial, has introduced certain new issues. For example, residential uses of pyrethrins and pyrethroids may result in urban runoff, potentially exposing aquatic life to harmful levels in water and sediment.

Top Bottom