Espalier Flat Against a Trellis in Coco

• Thread starter Amalthea
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Amalthea

Amalthea

This is my first hydro grow. In coco. About 15 plants. Two vertical 1000kw lights in the centre of a circle. The circle will be trellis. On the trellis I want to espalier flat the plants, as opposed to bushy shrub affairs.

They'll be Indica dom strains in coco. I'm guessing for an indica dom it's going to be short in height. Going Hydro in coco can I expect increases in height and width?

What kind of veg time am I looking at. How big a bucket do I need. Will I get the kind of growth I need to thickly cover a circular trellis using coco? I'm planning on setting up a simple top drip feed on timer.

I'm thinking I should be getting at least 1.3 grams per watt yield. Right? Quite excited as haven't grown for a while.

Thanks

:)

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Are you stacking your 1k's? That seems like too many plants... What is your spacing? I can recommend at least 40" if you want to grow trees and not have a huge cluster fuck.

Don't count your chickens before they hatch when it comes to your estimate of 1.3 grams per watt. I have a thread here you may want to look at. https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/barebulb-hedge-growing-and-lanky-strains.53537/page-2

post 34 is with 24" spacing. Since then I have removed plants to get 40" spacing, and I believe I will achieve the same yield with 2 less plants.

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

Espalier is such a cool word and is intensely effective outdoor never thought of it indoor...excited to take a seat for this one!

ttystikk

ttystikk

Since amalthea mentioned growing indicas, I believe they'll have trouble getting the plants to grow tall enough to make a second 1000w bulb above the first necessary. Or desirable, since it will create a lot of heat. I would resist the urge to attack a second layer of plants above the first, at least in the beginning. I would- am, as it happens- sticking with one thouie in a four foot tall (1.3m) cylinder that's about four feet in diameter, with the bulb in the exact center.

I have a sneaky way to help you get things going faster, it's kind of like cheating, but not really; veg your indicas unset top lighting until they are about a meter tall, or 3 feet. Since indicas don't stretch much, putting a large number of tall thin plants will cover your canopy quickly and will generate bud sites regularly up and down each stem- but not too densely.

Amalthea

Amalthea

Since amalthea mentioned growing indicas, I believe they'll have trouble getting the plants to grow tall enough to make a second 1000w bulb above the first necessary. Or desirable, since it will create a lot of heat. I would resist the urge to attack a second layer of plants above the first, at least in the beginning. I would- am, as it happens- sticking with one thouie in a four foot tall (1.3m) cylinder that's about four feet in diameter, with the bulb in the exact center.

It's just one layer, with two bulbs stacked. I've done this in soil very crudely in my last grow using a 600watt and a 250watt stacked. But yes two 1000w will create a lot of heat. I'll give it a go and then remove one bulb if needed.

Four feet in diameter sounds good.

I have a sneaky way to help you get things going faster, it's kind of like cheating, but not really; veg your indicas unset top lighting until they are about a meter tall, or 3 feet. Since indicas don't stretch much, putting a large number of tall thin plants will cover your canopy quickly and will generate bud sites regularly up and down each stem- but not too densely.

That's a good idea! Basically getting them to stretch by keeping the light high initially?

Amalthea

Amalthea

Are you stacking your 1k's? That seems like too many plants... What is your spacing? I can recommend at least 40" if you want to grow trees and not have a huge cluster fuck.

HI Cap, yes you're right if I'm doing tree''s in coco hydro then thats way too many plants. I'm still in soil mode. Maybe this time round they'll be small tree's, as I have a bunch of strains that I want to grow out from seed, and flower together.

So, yes, I don't know how the strains will work in this set-up and they'll be multiple strains. And this is pretty much my third grow. The first two were in compost. It's going to be interesting.

Thanks for the spacing. I'll make a sketch and get back to you.

Don't count your chickens before they hatch when it comes to your estimate of 1.3 grams per watt. I have a thread here you may want to look at. https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/barebulb-hedge-growing-and-lanky-strains.53537/page-2

post 34 is with 24" spacing. Since then I have removed plants to get 40" spacing, and I believe I will achieve the same yield with 2 less plants.

Thanks for the thread. Pretty impressive wall of dank! Yes, I'll need to reconsider number of plants and spacing.

Espalier is such a cool word and is intensely effective outdoor never thought of it indoor...excited to take a seat for this one!
It's an amazing way of maximising space. I've become slightly obsessed with the idea. The plan is still in the early stages. I still need to setup my new grow room, it'll be a while for this to get off the ground.

Camdawg

Camdawg

I think I'm seeing what your doing but it could just be the J1 I'm smoking anyway you could post a pic even just a rough drawing of what your doing I'm hella interested

ttystikk

ttystikk

I think I'm seeing what your doing but it could just be the J1 I'm smoking anyway you could post a pic even just a rough drawing of what your doing I'm hella interested

I'm working on the ability to make illustrations that I can post up here- a good buddy on the Farm here is helping me out with this now, and I should be able to post some kind of scribbles in the next few weeks. Meanwhile, I'll take pics as much as I can.

Top Bottom