Ethics In Breeding

• Thread starter CageyBee
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

ok got to page 3 and see a war coming,fight or flight,im flight,no time for stupidity,haah,but leaving with one more thing to mention and ask you all what you think.
so you grow some fire ass herb,love the outcome,so i contact both breeders for the okay to make my own strain with there love and work,they both say you bought um do as you please,ask then would you breed if we said no,i answer no,then they ask are you gonna sell,i answer no,i have never sold the herb or seeds and i dont sway to any one person a crutch i have for the love of herb,question is do you think it is integrity that makes your chunking breeding or what you want to call it,my take is they worked there love and i like both strains and create my own,what category does that put a person in,breeder or chunker? in my own mindset that makes me a human cause i asked and care for the plant more than for money cause im not interested haahah shit really gonna get sideways when all states are legal,,so do you think asking breeder is the right thing,ive grown this cross 10 times now,does this make me a breeder or chunker just curious?

Rcubed

Rcubed

chunkers as you call it evolved when the price of seed went up ,100 bucks for 5 seeds,fuck that and it all bullshit,with legalization of some states you would figure the price would go down,nope even higher,i was checking seeds out other day,cant remember which site it was,25 bucks for 1 seed,looked at charlotes web and 1 seed was 50 bucks,hah now ask about chunkers,crazy shit,i breed all my own and wanted to try something new,after looking at all the crap going around i stick to my creations,not everyone can buy 100 dollar seeds and then pay 1k for a new fangdangled light,crazy im saying,reguardless of what im called,breeder,chunker or just shit head,im getting medicated on my own creations of my own hand,this is just a few reasons,but to make equilty there are folk doing just as you mention,dont really care of results and start selling the seeds and havent even grown it to set a pattern,look at gg4,that was a herm and everyone goes nut for the shit and now there is a seed of it,still a hermie in my eyes,i grow 2 full grows with my stuff before i even mention what i named um,simply because if i give you a seed i can tell you structure, growth,ease of growth and then smoke report,i been growing since 76 and im here to say this shit has gone way out of control,outlaw for life hahahah
I'm with you on this Oldy, I've grown off and on since the 80's. I only grew a few old fashioned strains like Big Bud and some Afghan strains. Then I started buying all these popular strains like GG, White Widow, Berry Bomb GSC, and a shitload of others. Turned out one of the Berry Bomb was male and I already had a shitload of weed, more than I could smoke in 2 years so I said WTF I'm going to pollinate 3 females (Big Bud, Somango, and Blue Mystic) with the BB. So turns out I get a couple thousand seeds that have been some of the best herb I've ever grown. Huge, dense, sweet smelling, frosty buds. I've given out some of these seeds to my buddies and they can't believe it. I know these are just F1s as they call them so they have a lot of vigor due to the fresh hybrid factor. I won't even bother trying to do anything else with the cross. No need to make a strain. I aint selling it. I'll just use these seeds until they're used up and clone em if the seeds don't pop anymore, or I'll just make some more crosses.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

I'm with you on this Oldy, I've grown off and on since the 80's. I only grew a few old fashioned strains like Big Bud and some Afghan strains. Then I started buying all these popular strains like GG, White Widow, Berry Bomb GSC, and a shitload of others. Turned out one of the Berry Bomb was male and I already had a shitload of weed, more than I could smoke in 2 years so I said WTF I'm going to pollinate 3 females (Big Bud, Somango, and Blue Mystic) with the BB. So turns out I get a couple thousand seeds that have been some of the best herb I've ever grown. Huge, dense, sweet smelling, frosty buds. I've given out some of these seeds to my buddies and they can't believe it. I know these are just F1s as they call them so they have a lot of vigor due to the fresh hybrid factor. I won't even bother trying to do anything else with the cross. No need to make a strain. I aint selling it. I'll just use these seeds until they're used up and clone em if the seeds don't pop anymore, or I'll just make some more crosses.
yep,and im telling ya shit fitna unload on seed sales,be high dollar at first,then competion roll in and same seed went for 75 bucks a pop will be a 10 pack for 20 bucks,damn that ive got 3 strains i made and im 58 ,so the kids will have plenty of seeds when im gone to do as they please hahahh,hey high or medicated is the goal and ive acheived that,lmao

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Wow that’s wierd, says my post needs moderator Approval.
you have achieved bad boy status,welcome to the club hahaha,im on 4 difrent sites i visit,grasscity ahahahah is a fucking joke,every thing but weed is a drug to them and you cant even mention what type prescribed medicine you take,crazy,i have never seen so many threads about how to pass a drug test in my life as there,answer is quit smoking hahahah,but they mod every thing i write,lmao dont go there much though,to jion a forum you have to agree to there discliamer right,18 yrs old right,there are 12 and 14 yr old kids that admit they are and nothing done with that ,but just say acid and within 5 min a mod have a pm for ya,hahahhah

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
The genetics have been trampled for 19 years by many .....

N.L, white widow, maple, durban, ect make up many of the elite clone onlys. When does the respect start in 2004 ? When the clone only , club cuts hype ran wild in cali in the early 2000's ..... ?

Or the breeders before them ?

I've been using the same seed stock from 30+ years ago. The seeds were supposedly Matanuska, but since nobody had specific strains back then, there's a good chance that 75% or more of the more common strains were Colombian or Mexican and then renamed every time someone made a new cross.
When I was a lot younger, the ONLY stuff around was Mexican, with a little Vietnamese thrown in from the war. Colombian followed but was probably a Mexican variety originally. Out of just a couple of varieties, we now have hundreds/thousands of different strains. Northern Lights was one of the first commercially available strains available, and if you look at the pedigree's of available seeds, there is probably a better than good chance that there is some NL in just about anything.
I guess what I'm trying to say, is that almost all of the popular strains are descendants from just a couple of base strains, despite all of the fancy names. It's getting near impossible to find these base strains that haven't been changed over the years. It's really interesting to put any of my 30+ year old seeds and compare them to the current batch of offerings...the plants don't even look similar. They are like poodles..there used to be 1 variety, then toy poodles, Standard poodles, white, apricot, black, Labradoodles, Pickapoos, etc...from one comes many. My new era GrandDaddyPurple looks like an Azelea shrub, while my old Manatuska looks like a bony skeleton! My biggest problem is that I didn't keep any decent records of my stock other than being ancient and hoping that the beans still pop decades later (about 20% still pop).

S

Simplicio

Please delete this if it is a repeat of my earlier post:

I've been using the same seed stock from 30+ years ago. The seeds were supposedly Matanuska, but since nobody had specific strains back then, there's a good chance that 75% or more of the more common strains were Colombian or Mexican and then renamed every time someone made a new cross.
When I was a lot younger, the ONLY stuff around was Mexican, with a little Vietnamese thrown in from the war. Colombian followed but was probably a Mexican variety originally. Out of just a couple of varieties, we now have hundreds/thousands of different strains. Northern Lights was one of the first commercially available strains available, and if you look at the pedigree's of available seeds, there is probably a better than good chance that there is some NL in just about anything.
I guess what I'm trying to say, is that almost all of the popular strains are descendants from just a couple of base strains, despite all of the fancy names. It's getting near impossible to find these base strains that haven't been changed over the years. It's really interesting to put any of my 30+ year old seeds and compare them to the current batch of offerings...the plants don't even look similar. They are like poodles..there used to be 1 variety, then toy poodles, Standard poodles, white, apricot, black, Labradoodles, Pickapoos, etc...from one comes many. My new era GrandDaddyPurple looks like an Azelea shrub, while my old Manatuska looks like a bony skeleton! My biggest problem is that I didn't keep any decent records of my stock other than being ancient and hoping that the beans still pop decades later (about 20% still pop).
T

There is a strong argument to be made that present day strains are superior to landrace strains.
That is certainly true for today's grains, fruits, vegetables, etc.
I'd be surprised if it's not also true for cannabis.

Of course those landrace strains are important for the genes they contain.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
T

There is a strong argument to be made that present day strains are superior to landrace strains.
That is certainly true for today's grains, fruits, vegetables, etc.
I'd be surprised if it's not also true for cannabis.

Of course those landrace strains are important for the genes they contain.

I guarantee that the current offerings are MUCH stronger than the older Landrace strains. The strains that I have from 30+ years ago are so much different than what is available today, that some don't even look remotely related. I'm almost 60 and have been smoking since I was way too young to start smoking, but an ounce used to cost $10.
The first smoke I had was Mexican. It was cheap, lousy, and it took a few doobs worth to catch a buzz. It was maybe 7% on a strong day. Colombian followed a few years later, was $30-35, and 10X better than Mex. Hawaiian came next at $140/Oz and was close to the stuff that we get nowadays. About this time, Kush became popular as did indoor growing under HID lights. The stuff nowadays would have been dangerous compared to the old stuff. The few landrace strains I maintain were cutting edge 30 years ago, but wouldn't be too popular nowadays due to their lower THC levels, smaller yields, and undeveloped taste. The quality and variety of stuff now available is light years ahead of the old school stuff. Seriously. I was there and there was NOTHING around then like they have now. I can only imagine what the next 30 will bring. Feminized, Auto...this is all stuff that has never been around before...Imagine what is just around the corner! :cool:

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

feel ya there,if i could get hold of true columbine i would'nt grow anything else, the mex back then wasnt bad either,i loved that freaking creeper weed of the day,but columbine is my all time fav bar none

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

I guarantee that the current offerings are MUCH stronger than the older Landrace strains. The strains that I have from 30+ years ago are so much different than what is available today, that some don't even look remotely related. I'm almost 60 and have been smoking since I was way too young to start smoking, but an ounce used to cost $10.
The first smoke I had was Mexican. It was cheap, lousy, and it took a few doobs worth to catch a buzz. It was maybe 7% on a strong day. Colombian followed a few years later, was $30-35, and 10X better than Mex. Hawaiian came next at $140/Oz and was close to the stuff that we get nowadays. About this time, Kush became popular as did indoor growing under HID lights. The stuff nowadays would have been dangerous compared to the old stuff. The few landrace strains I maintain were cutting edge 30 years ago, but wouldn't be too popular nowadays due to their lower THC levels, smaller yields, and undeveloped taste. The quality and variety of stuff now available is light years ahead of the old school stuff. Seriously. I was there and there was NOTHING around then like they have now. I can only imagine what the next 30 will bring. Feminized, Auto...this is all stuff that has never been around before...Imagine what is just around the corner! :cool:
i do but dont agree with you,reason,the old stuff was more about smooth taste for me,ive had some mex that you would only smoke half jiont if you had work to do,the red hair columbine,oh man that taste is better than no other,so taste is more relaxing for me,i dont get shit face anymore and just grow for pain,me and mama,1 joint a day,half morning other half night,so heavy chevy days long been gone and taste is more better for me,i recently found some vietnam black x the one from swami,that shit is close to the day,but not the real deal if you dig,the others ive grown from them ,im not even impressed with,i was on seed finder and found the columbine and back ground show it to be true,but in reality how long back do those records go,so i just breed a few for me and maybe the kids one day if they want,if it legalize here this 2.5 acres will see a rain storm of seeds in the soil lmao

Rcubed

Rcubed

Exactly, potency isn't everything. Take Big Bud. It's not the stoniest weed in the world but it makes me laugh and my wife likes it cuz it can make Johnson wake up even though I'm getting on in years and been with the old lady for 30 yrs. he he.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
i do but dont agree with you,reason,the old stuff was more about smooth taste for me,ive had some mex that you would only smoke half jiont if you had work to do,the red hair columbine,oh man that taste is better than no other,so taste is more relaxing for me,i dont get shit face anymore and just grow for pain,me and mama,1 joint a day,half morning other half night,so heavy chevy days long been gone and taste is more better for me,i recently found some vietnam black x the one from swami,that shit is close to the day,but not the real deal if you dig,the others ive grown from them ,im not even impressed with,i was on seed finder and found the columbine and back ground show it to be true,but in reality how long back do those records go,so i just breed a few for me and maybe the kids one day if they want,if it legalize here this 2.5 acres will see a rain storm of seeds in the soil lmao

I was fortunate/unfortunate to have lived thru the Colombian days and sold a lot of it back in the day. From memory, I would say most was pretty rough, but most of the taste and flavor come from the curing, or lack of it. Nowadays, people take pride and one-upmanship...back then nobody really knew how to grow it indoors, and outdoor grows were pretty small and regardless where the seeds originated, people tended to call it Hawaiian if it was light green and Colombian if it was dark green. The Colombian redbud was a notable exception as well as the gold....they WERE tasty and not easily found now. The processing of the Colombian was also much different in that the stuff was often packed still slightly damp, which cause it to cure and lose it's chlorophyll...giving it the characteristic gold and hashy flavor.
Potency wise, old school just can't hold a candle to the current stuff, but potency, like you said, isn't the "all that". There is probably a LOT more Colombian and Mexican based strains out there than most would care to admit. All of these new strains got their start somewhere and most could probably trace their roots to the 70s and the marginal stuff of the time. I have a couple of Matanuska plants that I originally got a big bag of beans from a pipeline worker way back...even though they were grown or associated with Alaska, they were probably Mexican sativa by their appearance. Like you say...it's about what works for you. I enjoy the older stains that I've kept going over the years because we both grew up together, and I'm much more familiar with the strains than this newfangled stuff that grows by itself and practically trims and dries itself!

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
Swamis gear was a let down for me also. "the one" clone was about a 6 on a 1-10 scale.. The 80's had some fond memories and some nice bud labeled kind bud,xmas bud or chronic... compared to the decent brick.

chillywilly

chillywilly

Greetings,
Got some old skool Columbian seeds, probably landrace variety that I have like nearly 20 yrs...truly chunky like today's kushes, but this had that true sweet earthy flavor and a high to match, ...remembering from the 70's...mmmmmm
cw

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Swamis gear was a let down for me also. "the one" clone was about a 6 on a 1-10 scale.. The 80's had some fond memories and some nice bud labeled kind bud,xmas bud or chronic... compared to the decent brick.
well i got,cherry bomb,the one x punto rojo,vietnam black x panama,the one is just to harsh and the buzz only last a hour,fuely taste ,i dont like it,the cherry bomb hah not one buzz or body numb if it was supose to be a cbd,nothing,beauty of a plant,love the red spears,the vietnam black,i do like and have jars full of it,gas claimed the punto rojo was from the columbine male,i highly doubt now ive grown all these 3 times and even switched up dry and cure to see of it was just me,i got some thai x pakaistan supose to be a heavy cbd side to it,i havent grown it yet though,all in all nah never buy there again

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Greetings,
Got some old skool Columbian seeds, probably landrace variety that I have like nearly 20 yrs...truly chunky like today's kushes, but this had that true sweet earthy flavor and a high to match, ...remembering from the 70's...mmmmmm
cw
better hold on to them,they are few and far in between,lmao

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

oh ya forgot about the freebie,yogi totaly useless plant,taste like crap and same as cherry bomb no buzz,out of all that wasted cash the vietnam was the only one that i kinda like and thats because i had to like something from a waste of money,no never again,this is a prime example of what i been telling everyone of how these jack legs been taking advantage of us old farts from the day,that loved the weed from then versus now,there out there thick so buyer beware if you dig

chillywilly

chillywilly

I was fortunate/unfortunate to have lived thru the Colombian days and sold a lot of it back in the day. From memory, I would say most was pretty rough, but most of the taste and flavor come from the curing, or lack of it. Nowadays, people take pride and one-upmanship...back then nobody really knew how to grow it indoors, and outdoor grows were pretty small and regardless where the seeds originated, people tended to call it Hawaiian if it was light green and Colombian if it was dark green. The Colombian redbud was a notable exception as well as the gold....they WERE tasty and not easily found now. The processing of the Colombian was also much different in that the stuff was often packed still slightly damp, which cause it to cure and lose it's chlorophyll...giving it the characteristic gold and hashy flavor.
Potency wise, old school just can't hold a candle to the current stuff, but potency, like you said, isn't the "all that". There is probably a LOT more Colombian and Mexican based strains out there than most would care to admit. All of these new strains got their start somewhere and most could probably trace their roots to the 70s and the marginal stuff of the time. I have a couple of Matanuska plants that I originally got a big bag of beans from a pipeline worker way back...even though they were grown or associated with Alaska, they were probably Mexican sativa by their appearance. Like you say...it's about what works for you. I enjoy the older stains that I've kept going over the years because we both grew up together, and I'm much more familiar with the strains than this newfangled stuff that grows by itself and practically trims and dries itself!
Had the Columbian redBud too...1983 new Mexico
cw

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Had the Columbian redBud too...1983 new Mexico
cw

The Thai sticks of the time were really small and not too good, compared to current stuff. Half the time it was simply a stem with the attached buds, with a piece of hemp string wrapped around it. They weren't much bigger, if as big, as a school pencil. They WERE exotic compared to the local stuff...in the Ohio/Pa area, it wasn't exactly high tech stuff that eventually made it from down south. If you bought something, it was usually shake and full of seeds. Of course, we were kids and didn't know better...as time went on we learned...

Top Bottom