Evaluate My New Grow Light

• Thread starter Pickford
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Pickford

Pickford

First time led user, got the Johnson cx6, cree 3070, 340 watts..

Thoughts? Any experience with it? Your friend's friend?
Or should I stick with a 600hp cool tube?

Any feedback is welcome

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Stick with HP, technology isn't there yet for led. Led is a waist of time and money. I was looking into LED with several grow suppliers comparing HPS to led there is no comparison between the products to justify the cost.

tags420

tags420

That isn't enough to replace your 600w hps. Going to need 400-450w of the best LED's still.
Johnson uses CXA, instead of the newer CXB, and also is using 3070 instead of 3590's or other larger LES chips. Plus cheap inefficient china drivers in the cx units.
You need more wattage if you are going to hang with a 600hps yield.

Pickford

Pickford

That isn't enough to replace your 600w hps. Going to need 400-450w of the best LED's still.
Johnson uses CXA, instead of the newer CXB, and also is using 3070 instead of 3590's or other larger LES chips. Plus cheap inefficient china drivers in the cx units.
You need more wattage if you are going to hang with a 600hps yield.

Meanwell drivers are no longer any good? What did I miss?

hillbil

hillbil

Two Northern Grow Lights Photon 180s will kill that 600hps and do it at just under 400 watts. Now COB led arrays provide the best efficiency and spectrum. Used hps for years and have been led only over 2 years. Mostly COBs over a year. Both yield and quality are better.

HPS will grow great weed. COBs will grow greater weed and more of it on less juice and make heat much easier to deal with.

And I would take that Johnson over any hps.

Pickford

Pickford

Yeah brother I went ahead and ordered it.

I agree I will need more watts but some of the above comments are based on misinformation. Its more or less a good DIY cob that comes with a 3 yr warranty. I dont mind payin a few extra bucks for that. I will check out northern lights. I am looking to add another 200 watts.

SeedyGirl

SeedyGirl

i am planning on trying a run w diy cobs replacing my horizontal 600w hps lights.
i also run vertical hung 1000w and a few 600s around the sides which i will keep.
i think the led technology has come a long way. 4 yrs ago i would not have considered this and would have lol too.
but now the cobs seem to be changing things up.
i am hoping to cut down electric on AC, chillers, fans and lighting and light bulbs overall.
i think focus on COBS and by the time you need to replace the unit -there will be the next bigger and best thing.
happy farming.

tags420

tags420

Yeah brother I went ahead and ordered it.

I agree I will need more watts but some of the above comments are based on misinformation. Its more or less a good DIY cob that comes with a 3 yr warranty. I dont mind payin a few extra bucks for that. I will check out northern lights. I am looking to add another 200 watts.
They don't use meanwells in the CX line. Only the maximizer unless that has changed within the last month. The clu48 change is new, good catch. Still would want 3590's or better for the price.

EDIT:
Just saw you ordered it. Have fun with it.

Pickford

Pickford

Tx tags. For what its worth I paid $633 including shipping and taxes and managed to negotiate a 4 month money back warranty, aside from the 3 yr manu warranty, if I am not satisfied. So..low risk, high reward I think.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Cmh stomps hps/mh as far as par and quality of light. Led, might as well as 2x the led panels to even come close to what the mfg states the wattage is.

sixstring

sixstring

Build your own led or buy a quality panel from somewhere like plc or ngl
Lol @ anyone who thinks led wont grow as well or better than hps :)
The Johnson panel is good but you cant expect 200 or 250w of led to replace or compete with 600w hid.450 to 500w will match or beat a 600 hid using cob technology
20161123 205527 1
20161123 205706
20161201 204019

Pickford

Pickford

Build your own led or buy a quality panel from somewhere like plc or ngl
Lol @ anyone who thinks led wont grow as well or better than hps :)
The Johnson panel is good but you cant expect 200 or 250w of led to replace or compete with 600w hid.450 to 500w will match or beat a 600 hid using cob technology
View attachment 649665 View attachment 649666 View attachment 649667

Beastly plant sixstring.

No I agree. The CX is 340 watts. I was going to add another 250 or so. Had also entertained throw a 400w hps in to get the best of both worlds.

More than likely it will be led though. Plc has something that would fit the bill perfectly, as I look right now.

keiksweat

keiksweat

hehe..too many led haters..
I cant afford some Johnson led panels... Think there pretty cool.citizen invented the cob.take no notice pal.grow and smoke your own gear.let them worry about there own shit.
Here's some led him grown under el cheapo Chinese crap panels....good luck.
WP 20161012 19 46 53 Pro
WP 20161024 21 15 41 Pro
WP 20161017 20 15 54 Pro

Pickford

Pickford

Looks like you got mars reflectors in there keik...thats whst I am thinking to finish out my 4x4. Ive seen alot of good logs with the mars reflectors, including yours now..

Light goes up tomorrow..

keiksweat

keiksweat

What kinda watts you using per sq foot keik?
I'm in a 4x8 tent for bloom mate.got 2x 300w draw reflector series panels with a 120w shit box led.and a uvb reptile light for supplement.I grow in my own amended soil.my bud is killa ...always.mates ,family, we love it.
Them Johnson panels were pointed out to me by realstyles.if he says there ok..you can take that to the bank Kida.

Top Bottom