ever grown with a tubular skylight?

• Thread starter him
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

him

as i'm building my areas up i got an idea about natural light, and started thinking about the skylights they have in some stores, i was just thinking that given the bigger yield etc that outdoor plants tend to produce it couldnt hurt to add some skylights, whether just typical ones or tubular ones..has anyone tried this, whether with or without additional lighting?

H

him

heres a link to the type of tubes i'm thinking about , but then again maybe there is a greenhouse type material that lets light in but not out..

Dodge

Dodge

Hey,

How goes it buddy. I am a roofer. I have installed many of these type of skylights. The thought of using them to grow with has crossed my mind several times. You obviously know that you will have to rig up a device to cover the skylight lens for 12/12. My idea uses a servo (the same type of small motor that is used to control the wings on remote controlled planes) connected to a timer that opens a flap on the lens to effectively control your day night situation. If you want to flower in the summer you will have to eliminate the light for a portion of the day. The other thing you must consider is that it is not cheap or easy to install skylights, trust me, I have been doing this for over ten years. If you don't know what your doing then you will have leaks. I'll bet you all bud in my box, if you don't have roofing experience you will have leaks in your skylights. Look even if you have roofing experience, leaks are issues. The last thing I can say is that when you add the cost of the skylights (you will need more than one) and the cost of installation and the cost of rigging up some kind of automatic lens cover to regulate light your talking about a chunk of change. You can get a 1000w setup with bulb and ballast for like three bills online. Oh and if your not careful with where you put skylight you will generate a good deal of heat in your house. Most skylights actually have an opaque lens that eliminates most of light that comes through. Unchecked sunlight pouring into your house will generate a good deal of heat and you can't hook a fan up to the skylight to cool it off, like you can with an HID lamp. Just a few thoughts. You can totally make the skylights work you just have to be ready to deal with the issues.

Later

K

kolah

I like this idea a lot. I bet someone one has given it a whirl.

S

Stanley

I installed one myself in my grow room a few days ago. But its actually a solar grow light tube. Looks like the solar tubes for indoor lighting but the lens is specially designed for providing the perfect light for growing indoors. I'm pretty excited about it because my electricity bill is crazy. I will install more once I see it preforming for me. I really don't have much doubt this is going to work. I purchased a dimmer with it that I can block out the light all together. I purchased the manual one but I guess you can get one with a remote control or a timer too. I went ahead and got the light kit attachment that I put a LED grow light in. I'm not sure if this forum allows links to websites but I would be happy to share where I purchased it if you want to know. I just googled Solar Grow light tubes. "It says turn any room into a greenhouse" I would be happy to send pics and updates how well this is working if anyone wants.

vaporedout

vaporedout

stanley post those pics, we were actually putting a tube in our kitchen because its so dark...

dodge, very good little article there :)
im definitely going to go with a pro on that one, here im thinking a good cut and some caulking and i would be fine... definitely dont want leaks!!

S

Schwoop

Ive often wondered about these and thought they would work, Ive had them installed in homes I worked on several times, SolarTubes, 1 day install, they retro fit them and your good to go, we put 4 in a 12 x 12 den and it was bright as fuk, Id put 1 every 3 sq. ft or so and use electric dampners or something to close them up or something along those lines. Someone needs to try this.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

My kid has one in his veg room,it works,chases the dark out of the corners and its bright,wish we had known about these solar grow light tubes.the one we put in was called a sola-tube but it wasnt plant specific.Easy install if your handy,costco has em too.

S

Stanley

Hey guys, glad to contribute to the conversation here. Unless you put in the solar grow light tubes you are not getting the lens that was specially designed for indoor growing. Just putting in a solar tube wont be the same. I found mine here

DrCALIGREENTHUM

DrCALIGREENTHUM

Hey guys, glad to contribute to the conversation here. Unless you put in the solar grow light tubes you are not getting the lens that was specially designed for indoor growing. Just putting in a solar tube wont be the same. I found mine here

howd it go for you? worth it?
are you using it in flower or veg?

WolfWhisperer

WolfWhisperer

My buddy bought one of those solar grow tube things and just installed it straight down into his closet. I know it worked for a small amount..

J

JAHGYDI

ive seen them over salt water reef tanks supplemented by metal halides. it grew the coral.

M

Maalikan420

I need help blackout the light on a timer , using tube skylight..any ideas ??quote="Dodge, post: 784709, member: 35458"]Hey,

How goes it buddy. I am a roofer. I have installed many of these type of skylights. The thought of using them to grow with has crossed my mind several times. You obviously know that you will have to rig up a device to cover the skylight lens for 12/12. My idea uses a servo (the same type of small motor that is used to control the wings on remote controlled planes) connected to a timer that opens a flap on the lens to effectively control your day night situation. If you want to flower in the summer you will have to eliminate the light for a portion of the day. The other thing you must consider is that it is not cheap or easy to install skylights, trust me, I have been doing this for over ten years. If you don't know what your doing then you will have leaks. I'll bet you all bud in my box, if you don't have roofing experience you will have leaks in your skylights. Look even if you have roofing experience, leaks are issues. The last thing I can say is that when you add the cost of the skylights (you will need more than one) and the cost of installation and the cost of rigging up some kind of automatic lens cover to regulate light your talking about a chunk of change. You can get a 1000w setup with bulb and ballast for like three bills online. Oh and if your not careful with where you put skylight you will generate a good deal of heat in your house. Most skylights actually have an opaque lens that eliminates most of light that comes through. Unchecked sunlight pouring into your house will generate a good deal of heat and you can't hook a fan up to the skylight to cool it off, like you can with an HID lamp. Just a few thoughts. You can totally make the skylights work you just have to be ready to deal with the issues.

Later[/quote]
Hey,

Later
I installed one myself in my grow room a few days ago. But its actually a solar grow light tube. Looks like the solar tubes for indoor lighting but the lens is specially designed for providing the perfect light for growing indoors. I'm pretty excited about it because my electricity bill is crazy. I will install more once I see it preforming for me. I really don't have much doubt this is going to work. I purchased a dimmer with it that I can block out the light all together. I purchased the manual one but I guess you can get one with a remote control or a timer too. I went ahead and got the light kit attachment that I put a LED grow light in. I'm not sure if this forum allows links to websites but I would be happy to share where I purchased it if you want to know. I just googled Solar Grow light tubes. "It says turn any room into a greenhouse" I would be happy to send pics and updates how well this is working if anyone wants.
i

ShroomKing

ShroomKing

Best of luck. Peace
I would love to see a pic please. Very interesting. Thank you.

Top Bottom