"Evolution RO1000" filter for well water (???)

• Thread starter bucktoothtootone
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
bucktoothtootone

bucktoothtootone

I am curious if any of you have used this filter yet:

I am about to attempt to use it this year - I have a well that needs to be filtered and this is the cheapest remedy yet (I plan on filtering around 40k+ gallons)

M

mastergreen

I have one similar to that different brand tho. I believe it's to wizard or something... Regardless they r beast and way faster then my previous ro machine

F

FileError404

mg, you probably have the "Merlin". I had that one before, the evolution replaced that one now and does even better in the ratio. If you plan on filtering that much I would recommend the pre-filter ( ) that lengthens the life of your filters and membranes 3 fold. Saves you money in the long run and you don't have to change filters all the time. I'm using Hydro Logic RO's in various sizes for years, never had a problem.

bucktoothtootone

bucktoothtootone

sounds promising!
I've been asking around and only hearing good things, but I would like to try and find out more about the pre-filter because I have to filter so much. I know that the "Preevolution" filter is the obvious choice, which includes a carbon filter and a sediment filter in two separate chambers and I'm pretty sure I don't need the carbon since I will only be using well water which contains no chloramine (which I think makes the carbon filter unnecessary for me). Perhaps I could switch out the carbon and replace it with another sediment filter? Or maybe just take away the carbon and only use the sediment....
I also heard from someone that buying a separate DI cartridge and putting it in front of the RO unit will also greatly lengthen the life of the RO membranes, but most DI units flow at <1gpm which would make it more difficult for the RO to function at the rate that I would need it to (60 psi).
Not too sure about all this stuff - I am going to inquire with hydrologic and ask around and I'll update here. Any ideas you guys might have is awesome

H

hydlog

DI filters are only used after RO to get rid of the last remaining traces of PPM's. If you use it before you would blow through it in a day or so b/c they have very little PPM's capacity. The carbon in a pre-filter, whether it's the Pre-Evolution or something else, helps mainly people on city water with chlorine and chloramines . The carbon filter in the Pre-Evolution is special and has added KDF 55 and 85 and is actually great for well water that contains low levels of iron and sulfur. If you have really bad well water with lots of iron or sulfur or hardness then a water test is best to determine the specific pre filtration you need in order to extend your RO membrane life. In most cases the investment in pre-filtration pays for itself in not having to change your expensive membranes so often. Hope that helps. Peace

bucktoothtootone

bucktoothtootone

cool - good to know more about the carbon/KDF prefilter. Here's the post I was reading before about putting a DI filter in front of the RO:
https://www.thcfarmer.com/community...be-wasting-and-water.26089/page-3#post-461813
however, these guys were using much smaller filters for an indoor setup so it apparently doesn't really apply to my situation...
anyway, I'll post again in a few days after I call hydrologic and inquire about this whole thing with their customer support (which I have heard good things about) - I just want to make sure that I am going to have the most efficient system I can have

H

hydlog

Hey buck. I am Hydro-Logic. Just wanted to get you guys the correct info. While Di is cheap it is exhausted pretty quickly depending on how high your PPM's are and how much water you use. Typically there is no need for any sort of DI for hydroponics or soil gardening either a pre or post filter. The RO membrane as much of the PPM's as is necessary. As long as you change your pre-filters when they need to be changed and if you have really nasty water get some extra pre-filtration then the RO membrane will last at least a year. Really no need to mess with DI as the membranes are pretty affordable and the cost per gallon of pure water is in the pennies. But feel free to call us (888-426-5644), we do have excellent customer support. Also we're adding new FAQ to the website everyday. www.hydrologicsystems.com. Peace y'all

bucktoothtootone

bucktoothtootone

thanks hydlog. I just called you guys and it looks like I'll just get the preevolution - thanks for all the help!

deacon1503

deacon1503

Have you tested the source water yet? What is the ppm and hardness? The proper prefilter will hinge on those figures.

old skool

old skool

Premium Member
Supporter
Hey buck. I am Hydro-Logic. Just wanted to get you guys the correct info. While Di is cheap it is exhausted pretty quickly depending on how high your PPM's are and how much water you use. Typically there is no need for any sort of DI for hydroponics or soil gardening either a pre or post filter. The RO membrane as much of the PPM's as is necessary. As long as you change your pre-filters when they need to be changed and if you have really nasty water get some extra pre-filtration then the RO membrane will last at least a year. Really no need to mess with DI as the membranes are pretty affordable and the cost per gallon of pure water is in the pennies. But feel free to call us (888-426-5644), we do have excellent customer support. Also we're adding new FAQ to the website everyday. www.hydrologicsystems.com. Peace y'all
Merlin guy here. Great products.

H

hydlog

hey buck....2000+ ppm you say? OUCH! gonna be tough to grow much of anything with that water and it'll clog most RO filters real quick. Call us asap!

Top Bottom