Exactly who is DJ Short?

• Thread starter kolah
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
grayarea

grayarea

all i know is i would be frustrated with a warehouse full of plants like that . cause they would probably generate alot of bad reviews before and after harvest. if it sold tho i probably wouldn't give a shit . lol. ive found it doesn't really matter if the grower likes a strain or not if they are growing it for other people just matters that they grow it to the best of thier ability for that person . .

BakedReality

BakedReality

Bean Poppin..
Supporter
I know I have been chasing Blues for sometime those who really know me...know that and how hard I have chased them...hell I have 4 different Blue crosses going now...I know how finicky they can be...but I get the same generic answers from others at other forums who claim to know him and even rep his gear. He shows up at Cups...buys tables at events...why not come out and be honest about the Blueberry. Shit...I am one of the Biggest fans of Blueberry been chasing it for YEARS...I am starting to think you just have to start 100 seeds yourself...no disrespect to DJ or the work he has put in....but if it's gone then claim it gone...don't drag us along with hopes...and claims...trying to hustle some seeds out...and what exactly does it mean when the description says he chose from a larger gene pool...don't most stories speak of how familiar he is with the strain...so was it more to go thru cuz he couldn't find what he once had? I have to say this...no matter the changes he has seen with tech or not...why is he not at multiple forums answering questions? That for those who know him!...there are plenty of fans...and plenty of people looking for that old blue they recall from younger years or whatever...why doesn't he educate us instead of so many people speaking for him with guarantees and promises!

and as far as the True Blueberry being bred to an Afghan...have him say differently...did he just chase a Afghani leaner...cuz it's in the genetics....to give up flavor for the pursuit of yield to sell more beans...Blue's have never been known to yield and we all deal with plenty of strains that don't yield and make it work. I mean the only difference in the description is about increasing the yield and bringing the sativa back in to the mix 50/50 supposedly...so is there no more stretch indica? What's the difference between a stretch indica and a sativa? The original were labeled indica...but everyone chased the sativa phenol...

I am sure we could all pull out of this exactly what we want and run with it...I am asking this question to those who claim to know him...have him educate us on the differences...

Good phenos of Blue's seem to be an oddity apparently!

Keep it Green!

GreenintheThumb

GreenintheThumb

He posts on ic. Go send him a pm. He was VERY open about what was going on with the true blue and f13 lines throughout selection. It was an opportunity for him to look through more of the same type of plants all at once up in canada. Something he didn't get to do throughout the selection process in the states. Some of the generations of selection he could only pop small numbers because he was growing in trailer parks. He speaks on it in his book. These small populations and continued 1:1 mating methodologies are part of why his stock is now inbred and doesn't veg super fast and why you get some mutations like the leaf crinkle in his beans. They also tried to select against this in a larger population. Those traits are still there tho, the damage was done and deleterious negative recessive genes were already fixed in his population in early generation IMO. However, part of this is what makes these lines so great as a outcrosser.

True Blue was not bred to an afghan. These selections were made from the same generation of seeds as Blueberry and Flo. They have never been outcrossed or bred to a different family. The Flo and F-13s are the more sativa selections, the blueberries are the more 50-50, the moonshines are the more indica selections. However, they're all from the same population, it's the variation within the family that is expressed in these strains, they aren't crossed to afghans or haze to accomplish this.

My two cents are that part of the problem with people not finding the "old school blueberry" they remember in the past is maybe those weren't ones DJ produced int he first place. Blueberry ended up like skunk with millions of seeds sold from different breeders from different selections. How do you know what you think of as Blueberry wasn't from old Dutch Passion stock? It's the same problems with skunk, it's becoming the same problem with sour d and the kushes now.

Good phenos of anything seem to be an oddity as far as I see it, don't blame DJ. At least he's open and honest with the community and he did more than his fair share as far as preserving this family that so many of us take for granted.

sanvanalona

sanvanalona

Right now I know of 3 legit blueberries, all of which are not from Dj Short, at least to my knowledge, : Blueberry Diesel (Medicinal Organics) which tastes like artificial blueberries, the "blues" from underground originals, and a "true" blueberry that was held by somebody from Bozeman Montana for the better part of a decade and recently rereleased. I am sorry but there was so much more that was whack about meeting dj short, someone I really thought had good cannabis genetics.

K

kolah

I read (somewhere) where Dutch Passion had the DJ's Blueberry strain back when DJ worked in collaboration with DP. I am not sure sure this is true or just more shit from the rumor mills.

C

crocodile og

Really there should be a keeper in every pack. Or at least the likelihood of doing so.

There shouldnt be a need to buy multiple packs to find whats advertised. If it means more beans per pack so be it.

This should be the standard that seperates the real breeders from the chuckers.

BakedReality

BakedReality

Bean Poppin..
Supporter
Greeninthethumb...

So if you speak to him at the other forum...please pose these questions please...

Which is better Original or True in his opinion? How many packs needed to find a Blue?

I am disturbed...as we find out more about DJ Short...doesn't seem as tho the work went into it as described years ago. Are you making excuses for him having to grow in a trailer park? Was his work better with a smaller selection? What are we saying here....

Like sanvan...I have found very few with a great Blueberry taste. I remember the Blue Cheese you had @sanvanalona which had a nice Blueberry taste...but not DJ's. I had a real nice phenol from Joey Weed...from a line he called Killer Blue...who from what I read was a great person to preserve strains...but his work is no longer available. I had one phenol of a Blue Master Kush that was real nice...but again not DJ's work.

I have to agree somewhat with crocodile also...as much as this strain has been claimed to be worked...we should find at least one good tasting BB phenol in a pack of 10...maybe not the high we want...but at least the taste. There are plenty of breeders with less time under there belt who's gear you snag up and find goodies in a few seeds...

Keep it Green!

WiseGorilla

WiseGorilla

Amazing info Texas Kid. Love the stories of the old school classics.

clutch419

clutch419

Rp
i dont see him at Oaksterdam University anymore as a guest speaker for classes, but they have kyle kushman, and ed rosenthal...but i believe he was teaching some classes there a little while ago
some people like to left hiding in the bushes. Till know one knows there watching

click80

click80

BUMP:

There is someone going around SW Colorado calling themselves DDJ Shorty or DD Shorty..? Although the person who told me this is a good friend, and is solid, he is known to not really care about specifics, like what day of the week it is or names, like his wife and kids :) but he is a good guy. I guess in the course of his regular cannabis related business he ran into the (whatever) Shorty, said he checked him out, was listed in High Times as a winner of a recent award, again no specifics, and in the numerous "cup" competitions, and numerous categories... I think you get an award for buying a ticket :) Plus, there seems to be some kind of cannabis competition every week, to me. So, I don't really care about that.

I do know that he gave my friend an extensive collection of probably 40-50 strains, at least. I had my pick of some really nice ones. He wants to trade for some of a collection I accidentally fell into. I have popped some and they look good. For all the good that is worth...I know jack shit about breeding. I am learning, from a book, and it's not easy unless you prescribe to the throw 'em together and see what falls out. I would rather do it with some notebooks and categorize traits. So many traits and it's very Mendelsom.....worked for him considering the age.

Anyway.....Things are kind of crazy about seeds, in SW Colorado anyway. So I am skeptical, as always. From the little I know of DJ Short, which is very very little, I don't see him landing down here.

Just a little something that came up recently.

Top Bottom