Exhausting Grow Tent Out side

• Thread starter Newty
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Newty

Newty

I've been thinking of moving my tents around in the room they are in.
I have both tents exhaust through the same wall into a room that is used for some storage.
My only limitation on moving tents is my duct routing, my ducts are straight and I would like to keep it that way. Exhausting outside through a window would open up quite a few options for me.

I'm wondering if anyone here does or has exhaust flow to the outside and anything to keep in mind when doing so?
What effects (if any) to temp, humidity, etc will the outside weather in the cold winter months and hot summer months have on the grow tent?

If it's winter, will the hot air create a steam out the window from the exhaust? If so, how much?
Even though I'm in a legal state, I prefer to keep my privacy.

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
If it's winter, will the hot air create a steam out the window from the exhaust?
Hey Newty. My room exhausts outside, I haven’t noticed any steam. Though my lows are only in the 30s ill bet if it were colder you might get some steam like you would out of a dryer vent, maybe🤷🏼‍♂️ : ) one other thing Im trying to figure out is if there is any sort of “back draft” or wind created effect, both the exhaust and intake are plumbed to the outside of the shed. I’m thinking if there is it cant be much because of the filter and fans. Another thing I have noticed is a slight wind noise at the exhaust. Thats all I got : ) are you going to add some more grow space with the new configuration? ; )

Newty

Newty

Hey Newty. My room exhausts outside, I haven’t noticed any steam. Though my lows are only in the 30s ill bet if it were colder you might get some steam like you would out of a dryer vent, maybe🤷🏼‍♂️ : ) one other thing Im trying to figure out is if there is any sort of “back draft” or wind created effect, both the exhaust and intake are plumbed to the outside of the shed. I’m thinking if there is it cant be much because of the filter and fans. Another thing I have noticed is a slight wind noise at the exhaust. Thats all I got : ) are you going to add some more grow space with the new configuration? ; )
I would think as long as the wind isn't strong enough to overcome the fan, travel the length of the duct, and blowing directly at the duct that backdraft wouldn't be an issue. They do sell backdraft dampers that can be installed in ducts, they will close off the duct if fan stops or something stops the travel of air such as wind coming through.

My lows are normally 25-30 but there's times I get in the teens and rarely single digits. Winters use to be worse but the last 3-4 years have been strange.
There's always a plan to add grow space and If I start exhausting out the window, I can use the room I'm currently exhausting into as another tent room. I've considered making the whole room a grow room instead of buying more tents but lighting would be quite the expense up front. I guess I could put up a wall and start a smaller area and as I add light, move the wall and make the room bigger.

Newbgrower1

Newbgrower1

I’ve never noticed any steam but I’ve also never looked. Lol it gets pretty cold here in the winter but I’ve never had any issues.
5DBD00C5 6CF0 473E A678 6CD1194A8AA8

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
move the wall and make the room bigger.
This is the plan with my space. Already wishing I had just spent the extra bucks up front and added insulation where I need it (it would of been easy and not that much more)

As far as the baffles for the ducting I had the exact thought you did with the wind having to be perfect to blow down the inlet and all that : )

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
What effects (if any) to temp, humidity, etc will the outside weather in the cold winter months and hot summer months have on the grow tent?
Would adding a diverter to switch the airflow inside if it ever made sense to switch it? I'm thinking if the outside temperature were in the 20s, that warm air could help keep the house warm.

Even though I'm in a legal state, I prefer to keep my privacy.
Same here. I even have a license to grow, but I still like to keep it quiet.

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
Would adding a diverter to switch the airflow inside if it ever made sense to switch it? I'm thinking if the outside temperature were in the 20s, that warm air could help keep the house warm.
This is a great idea! Im dealing with temps that are too cold at night and the highs are starting to rise so I can use the outside temps for some regulation but then they become to much one way or the other. This was a great post @Newty !! Got me thinking (yes it hurts) hahaha.

Newty

Newty

Not a bad idea at all. My exhaust definitely keeps the upstairs warmer so if I move exhaust to vent out a window, the diverter to back inside on the extra cold nights would definitely help.
My house is old so I don't have furnace ducts upstairs, just grates in floor so heat can rise into the upstairs.
If temps are cold at night when lights are off, I stick my intakes in floor grate to heat my tents instead of running an electric heater.

I use the outside air to cool my tents during the day in the cooler months by opening a window.
I'm thinking of finding or making an automatic sliding window opener that I can control with the Controller 69. I want the window to open automatically at a high temp trigger and close at a low temp trigger.

cannafarmer420

cannafarmer420

I ♥ fat colas
Supporter
There are attachments to put in your window to disguise what is actually going on. Look some up if you are worried

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
I'm thinking of finding or making an automatic sliding window opener that I can control with the Controller 69. I want the window to open automatically at a high temp trigger and close at a low temp trigger.
I'd start with a solenoid to open it and a spring to close it, and use a control plug to operate the solenoid. The spring will keep it closed if the power fails.

There are attachments to put in your window to disguise what is actually going on. Look some up if you are worried
Do you have any suggestions for search criteria? My brain is failing me on that one.

Newty

Newty

I know AC Infinity sells the window kit that looks like a portable a/c. That part is not an issue but what about if it's 0 degrees and my exhaust is pushing 80 degree air outside, will there be no steam or does someone sell something to hide all the steam?

My other worry would be condensation freezing inside my duct.

Last edited:
Newty

Newty

I'd start with a solenoid to open it and a spring to close it, and use a control plug to operate the solenoid. The spring will keep it closed if the power fails.
I'm glad you replied to my thread, you always have good ideas that get my brain turning!

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
I probably should make a thread about this, but...

I've been wondering about CO2 and O2 levels in my lung room. I have a CO2 detector in the room and can see that the CO2 level rises to the mid-800 ppm range, which is approaching the toxic level for humans. I know why it happens: they only respire during the night and transpire during the day. So, I keep the door closed at night to build up the CO2 level, which they can use during the day. The level dropped by about 50 ppm during the first hour since the light came on. It's 823 ppm right now.

I find this fascinating. I bring it up here to see if anyone has any thoughts about CO2 levels in relation to venting a lung room.

I'm glad you replied to my thread, you always have good ideas that get my brain turning!
Sure thing! This type of thinking is fun for me.

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
Hey @Newty!! Urgent FYI i just learned out from my exhaust. I know I dont have a dehumidifier going right now but when i went to move my exhaust ducting this afternoon about half a gallon (probably less) had accumulated on the low end of the duct!! Just something to keep in mind, not sure if you would even come across that issue with your set up.

Newty

Newty

Hey @Newty!! Urgent FYI i just learned out from my exhaust. I know I dont have a dehumidifier going right now but when i went to move my exhaust ducting this afternoon about half a gallon (probably less) had accumulated on the low end of the duct!! Just something to keep in mind, not sure if you would even come across that issue with your set up.
Thanks for the heads up, I will definitely keep it in mind!

When was the last time you had the duct off? I'm just wondering how long it took to accumulate that much water.

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
Thanks for the heads up, I will definitely keep it in mind!

When was the last time you had the duct off? I'm just wondering how long it took to accumulate that much water
That was the first time its been taken down like that just from it falling since I had installed it. So month and a half is? But i have been having horribly high RH the last week or more. Im switching the duct to some smooth pipe eventually.

Latest posts

Top Bottom